World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah but City spend £50m on him so he must be awesome. Right?

It's the English tax. But unfortunately £50m is nothing to them so if he fails it won't hurt their team at all long term.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Englands defense and centre midfield is so bad.

So many mistakes, no control or passing.

Dembele and Mbappe are running them ragged.

Makes me pray the Bernardo Silva- Gelson Martins can be that good in the confederations cup with Andre Silva finishing chances.

France is going to be scary.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Englands defense and centre midfield is so bad.

So many mistakes, no control or passing.

Dembele and Mbappe are running them ragged.

Makes me pray the Bernardo Silva- Gelson Martins can be that good in the confederations cup with Andre Silva finishing chances.

France is going to be scary.

Don't think Bernardo Silva and Gelson Martins are going to be starting together.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
France *could* be scary if DD learns anything from this game.
Please, no Sissoko and Payet next time. Time to give the power to the kids. It's the golden generation (at least up front).
Play a front 4 of Lemar-Griezmann-Mbappe-Dembele and have Lacazette ready to come in. With Pogba looking twice the player with these guys and Mendy and Sidibe on the flanks, with Matuidi/Kante to play the retrievers, Varane/Umtiti behind, we're DAMN set.

But we'll be treated with more Kosicelny, Sissoko, Giroud, Payet and co I fear... :facepalm:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Do France have any good young goalies??
Areola, Lafont, Didillon, and later on Maisonnial.

Lemar was the player who won the most balls yesterday, tied with Kanté. He had the most passes in the offensive half, was the player with the best pass % among offensive players, second in interceptions, crossed the most and had the most passes before a shot. He also played a part in two of the three french goals. :bow:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
France's golden generation looks absolutely insane. An embarrassment of riches.
But we need a few things :
- good characters, no more Benzema/Ben Arfa/Nasri/Menez, our last golden generation.
- some true leaders
- a good coach that manages everyone and all those (future) stars, without starting guys like Sissoko despite all their words about needing to start in club football. That coach would need to play some offensive football as well because our talent there is potentially crazy.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The WM should come down to us and France; with Brazil being a potential player, and negative sides like Portugal and Italy having the talent to go on a run while frustrating superior squads.

My guts says that barring an Italian/Portuguese run to the final; we'll finally see Belgium's golden generation play up to their talent level and lose to Germany/France in the final.

The big question for Germany will be how many of our top youths get integrated alongside the WC winners...and if the DFB can convince Tuchel to take some time off of club coaching, while Jogi does the right thing. With Tuchel at the helm we could play some gorgeous football with

Sane/Draxler - Werner - Mueller/Brandt
Dahoud - Kroos
Weigl
Kimmich/Henrichs - Hummels - Boateng - Weiser
Neuer

Assuming Reus and Ilkay are injured for the tourney

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The WM should come down to us and France; with Brazil being a potential player, and negative sides like Portugal and Italy having the talent to go on a run while frustrating superior squads.

My guts says that barring an Italian/Portuguese run to the final; we'll finally see Belgium's golden generation play up to their talent level and lose to Germany/France in the final.

The big question for Germany will be how many of our top youths get integrated alongside the WC winners...and if the DFB can convince Tuchel to take some time off of club coaching, while Jogi does the right thing. With Tuchel at the helm we could play some gorgeous football with

Sane/Draxler - Werner - Mueller/Brandt
Dahoud - Kroos
Weigl
Kimmich/Henrichs - Hummels - Boateng - Weiser
Neuer

Assuming Reus and Ilkay are injured for the tourney

With Martinez at the helm, I don't think I see Belgium going that deep. He's better than Wilmots, but I'm still very skeptical. I'm hopeful though, because they have so much top talent, and I'd love to see Hazard have the real dominant tournament we know that he can. I thought he played great at the Euros, but it'd be cool to see him lead Belgium deep.

With Hummels, Boateng, and Neuer holding the fort, Germany will keep being competitive, even with Löw. Müller needs to be in WC form for them to really compete, and Jogi needs to start Weigl next to Kroos.

France will challenge next year, but I think 2020 and 2022 will be the ones where they come into full flight. Mbappé and Dembele in their primes, along with all the others, will be incredible. What is it that the French are doing differently than other countries to produce so much talent?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
What is it that the French are doing differently than other countries to produce so much talent?

Even if it's far from perfect, the youth system is well organised in France.
Every pro team was forced to have a youth academy and that was years and years ago.
Money was put there, and tons of great coaches transformed those academies in real talent shows.
Holland also had that period.
Everything is well structured from age 11 to pro level.
There are still tons of mistakes made, way too much emphasis on physical power over technical power, but an academy like INF Clairefontaine is likely the best in the world.
In fact, JM Guillou build academies in countries like Ivory Coast and it made them explode.
Those habits could be used in different countries with similar results. But that takes money, patience and some vast football knowledge.
France went from a small football nation to a major one thanks to that obligation to have academies in the 80s.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
JMG has produced some good young players for us in Algiers (Paradou) , some ofthem are on the Algerian NT, Bensebaini (CB, currently playing for Rennes) and a few others

And the new Algerian FA President used to work at Paradou, so I'm optimistic

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
With Martinez at the helm, I don't think I see Belgium going that deep. He's better than Wilmots, but I'm still very skeptical. I'm hopeful though, because they have so much top talent, and I'd love to see Hazard have the real dominant tournament we know that he can. I thought he played great at the Euros, but it'd be cool to see him lead Belgium deep.

With Hummels, Boateng, and Neuer holding the fort, Germany will keep being competitive, even with Löw. Müller needs to be in WC form for them to really compete, and Jogi needs to start Weigl next to Kroos.

France will challenge next year, but I think 2020 and 2022 will be the ones where they come into full flight. Mbappé and Dembele in their primes, along with all the others, will be incredible. What is it that the French are doing differently than other countries to produce so much talent?

Getting WM Müller instead of EM Müller is always huge; but with Werner, Stindl, Brandt, Sane, Draxler, Gnabry, etc., we should have plenty of goals in our side...even with Reus likely to be injured again by then.

Especially with our defense & midfield behind those attackers, dominating the ball and keeping it far the f*** away from our goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad