World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Spain should've called Bartra, Alonso and Morata. That low-key looks like a rough selection, and I think it could hurt them when the games matter. I don't like their defensive selections, and they have almost no high-level striker depth.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium

I've been watching Argentina since the early 90's and this is by far the worst squad I've seen of them. Such a contrast when Messi started his NT career, that team was amazing and as long as I live I will keep saying they should have won the 2006 WC, to when he's almost at the end of his career and has to play with this rubbish. If he drags this sorry bunch to a title he will be the GOAT no doubt

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He already is the GOAT without a doubt. He doesn't need to win a WC to prove that.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'm not trying to be a dick, but this roster seems......really pedestrian?

Nah, if anything you are being nice.

I've been watching Argentina since the early 90's and this is by far the worst squad I've seen of them. Such a contrast when Messi started his NT career, that team was amazing and as long as I live I will keep saying they should have won the 2006 WC, to when he's almost at the end of his career and has to play with this rubbish. If he drags this sorry bunch to a title he will be the GOAT no doubt

It's completely garbage. Why anyone think this team or the team of the past 5 years is any good is crazy. What has kept them competitive is Messi and coaching plus other SA teams declining.

Even if Sampa called up the right players... it is no match for the likes of Germany,France,Spain ... on paper. Having said that they could beat them on their day.

Reactions: Gecklund

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Sampa contemplating a 2-3-3-2 system? WTF is this boy smoking. 3 defenders failed spectacularly in the qualifiers...solution less defenders? Where going to end up 4th in the group. lol.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
If I were Spain, I would've taken Morata and Alonso over Rodrigo and Monreal. I understand going with Monreal, based on how Spain intend to play, but I think Alonso is simply a better player. It's all moot, though, because Alba will start every match at LB. Morata might not be in great form, but he still has quality and could be useful.

All things considered, I had Spain as my pick before team selection came out, and I stand by it.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
If I were Spain, I would've taken Morata and Alonso over Rodrigo and Monreal. I understand going with Monreal, based on how Spain intend to play, but I think Alonso is simply a better player. It's all moot, though, because Alba will start every match at LB. Morata might not be in great form, but he still has quality and could be useful.

All things considered, I had Spain as my pick before team selection came out, and I stand by it.

Rodrigo had a far better season than Morata. That was the right decision.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Spain has better options than Morata has had an abysmal year and he's not as good as some think he to begin with. In a months tournament its much smarter to take a player in form.

Ewwww..... There is always 2022....? :p

2022 should have a much much better team or atleast more balanced. If all goes to plan anyway. Dybala as a finished product and the best player they have? L.Martinez, Ascacibar,Paredes, Lo celso, Mammana, Foyth, Rulli,Axel, Bustos, Riverplate Martinez. Maybe, the likes of Correa and Barco too.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I barely consider Alonso a wingback, and now people ask for him to play in a back four with Spain? Geez. Monreal had a good season and is a more defensive fullback than Alba. Good choice.

I've been impressed with Odriozola, but I think Sergi Roberto should 100% have his spot. I'd also consider saying that Martinez should be in instead of Nacho Fernandez. Not sure how to feel about Morata being excluded either.

Reactions: Gecklund

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
All this baseless second-guessing of Spain's team because they left out muh Premier League players.

How do they not have defensive or forward depth?

Its not just Premier League. Marc Bartra has never played in the Premier League. He was a big catalyst for Betis. At CB, they are weak after the first two, especially aerially. Their two back up CB's are more natural full-backs. Javi Martinez as mentioned above is another option.

Their back up CF's to Costa have a total of 12 caps. Morata didn't have a good season, but Spain already struggles at striker. I'm not sure they have the depth to leave him off.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Its not just Premier League. Marc Bartra has never played in the Premier League. He was a big catalyst for Betis. At CB, they are weak after the first two, especially aerially. Their two back up CB's are more natural full-backs. Javi Martinez as mentioned above is another option.

Their back up CF's to Costa have a total of 12 caps. Morata didn't have a good season, but Spain already struggles at striker. I'm not sure they have the depth to leave him off.

Those two CB are f***ing iron men. They will play every minute. Azpilicueta is class too.

Backup striker is a much more valid argument, but Spain has played without a striker before and done great.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

I think Nacho benefits from playing for Real Madrid when it comes to making the squad and there's probably better options there, Odriozola is unproven at this level but still good enough to make the team, but unless Ramos or Pique are suspended or injured, does it matter? That's always a gamble in tournaments but they'll have two top 10 CBs starting for them as always. (I assume they're still top 10 CBs, I might be outdated on that)

So their back-up CBs might not be the best, but then you have the fullbacks which are better than any other team's, bar perhaps France, and some of them can play CB.

As for the strikers, I don't think their number of caps matter. Inexperience hasn't prevented players from performing well at tournaments before, and it won't now. Form is more important than experience. Aspas scored 20+ goals this season and Rodrigo is a great player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't really see the need for Odriozola. He's probably not in the first two choices at RB. If I was coaching, I'd want a taller CB in the squad behind the two starters. You just don't know what situation you'll encounter. What if you need to use someone else besides Pique and Ramos and you face a 6'3 or 6'4 CF? Do you want to play Azpilicueta or Nacho against that player? I don't know that you do. Or at least have the option to use a CB whose not undersized for the position. Given that Azpilicueta and Nacho are both capable of filling in at the full-back positions, I would get rid of one of the full-backs and put either Bartra or Martinez in the squad. I'm not criticizing any of these players. They are all very good, but I might want some different options for my defensive depth, if I was Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->