World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Getting WM Müller instead of EM Müller is always huge; but with Werner, Stindl, Brandt, Sane, Draxler, Gnabry, etc., we should have plenty of goals in our side...even with Reus likely to be injured again by then.

Especially with our defense & midfield behind those attackers, dominating the ball and keeping it far the f*** away from our goal.

The issue is that I don't see Jogi bringing most of those non-Muller attackers, let alone starting them, so it's all the more important that he produce.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
The issue is that I don't see Jogi bringing most of those non-Muller attackers, let alone starting them, so it's all the more important that he produce.

I think Germany will have a fine attack one way or the other. The depth of class players will keep them from having a total crisis even if one or two guys are injured or underperforming. A lot of the most talented players (Götze, Müller, Brandt) had a down year, which is concerning, but there is still plenty of time for them to get back in form.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Germany will have a fine attack one way or the other. The depth of class players will keep them from having a total crisis even if one or two guys are injured or underperforming. A lot of the most talented players (Götze, Müller, Brandt) had a down year, which is concerning, but there is still plenty of time for them to get back in form.

Plus other top talents like Werner, Stindl, Sane, Gnabry, had strong to amazing campaigns.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Plus other top talents like Werner, Stindl, Sane, Gnabry, had strong to amazing campaigns.

They did, but I wouldn't say those guys at their best are as good as Oezil, Mueller, and Goetze at their best.

Germany should still be able to field a competent attack, is the point. The central defense, goalkeeper, and midfield look like the bigger strengths, though, as they were in the past couple of tournaments.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They did, but I wouldn't say those guys at their best are as good as Oezil, Mueller, and Goetze at their best.

Germany should still be able to field a competent attack, is the point. The central defense, goalkeeper, and midfield look like the bigger strengths, though, as they were in the past couple of tournaments.

Werner is our best goal scorer other than Müller-at-a-WC; and Sane has that caliber of talent with his pace, dribbling, and efficiency in the final third. He really impressed with how quickly he adapted to and began thriving in the EPL.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think this is quite amusing so it's a good time to bump the thread. If the World Cup draw was made today, your seeded teams would be:

Russia
Germany
Brazil
Argentina
Portugal
Switzerland
Poland
Chile

Not joking!

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I mean, you can't fault Chile, Germany, or Argentina being in there. And I guess it makes sense Portugal is there. But Russia? Switzerland? Ugh.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Russia's the host so they have to be.

Switzerland beat Portugal but they could fall out. They've also won all their qualifiers which seems to be a big deal in the rankings.

I think Poland will actually remain there. They were the 4th or 5th best team at the Euro so it isn't that shocking, but it's very strange to see them ranked that highly.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Should be brazil, argentina, chile, usa, germany, France, spain, russia.

We don't deserve to be seeded. We've been really good recently, but for a CONCACAF team to be seeded, you pretty need a nearly perfect cycle with winning all the big games. We've lost almost all of those this cycle.

Should be Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Germany, France, Spain, Russia, Portugal.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Jesus, trying to take Spurs to the top isn't enough of a life's challenge?

http://www.espnfc.com/tottenham-hot...hettino-i-would-like-to-coach-england-one-day

Tottenham Hotspur boss Mauricio Pochettino has said he would like to manage England one day.

Pochettino, interviewed for a book charting Tottenham's title challenge last season and serialised in the Daily Mail, said he would "relish" the chance.

And he said: "If I were to be an international manager one day, I'd relish the opportunity to coach the England national team. I've heard that I've been considered for the job before, but I don't know if there was any truth in it. I'd be reunited with loads of familiar faces -- Harry Kane, Danny Rose, Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Adam Lallana.''

During his time in England, a majority of England's recent debutants have been coached by Pochtettino, and he added: "Of the last 21, 17 have played under me. Eleven regulars in the England squad made their debuts under my stewardship. The English are brave, honest and aggressive and the good ones want to add to their game.''

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Wow :amazed:
Deschamps just called up Fekir and Martial back, which makes sense and then he calls up Nzonzi and PAVARD.
Benjamin Pavard, who's a decent player for Stuttgart, but hardly someone of Laporte or Zouma's caliber.

Incredible.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wow :amazed:
Deschamps just called up Fekir and Martial back, which makes sense and then he calls up Nzonzi and PAVARD.
Benjamin Pavard, who's a decent player for Stuttgart, but hardly someone of Laporte or Zouma's caliber.

Incredible.

Should've called Zagadou instead. ;)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Zouma and Laporte are miles ahead of those two. DD's justification is that he needed a RB backup (Sidibé is injured). But last time I heard, Corchia wasn't injured? He should be #2, maybe even #1.

His selections make no sense sometimes. N'Zonzi is good, but Tousard has been immense so far for instance.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
It's just friendlies. Nothing wrong with trying to integrate a few younger players. Otherwise England would be calling up Smalling, Mee, Dunk or Lascelles instead of Gomez.

Althought I agree that Corchia and Tousart should be picked over Jallet and N'Zonzi. I would probably pick Lenglet over Pavard too. I think France lost their chance on Laporte.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, only friendlies, but Laporte must take this as a slap on the face. Corchia too.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Damn forgot Bakayoko. he's twice the player N'Zonzi is.

Different positions/role. N'Zonzi is a pivot. Actually, N'Zonzi would be one of my picks to replace Motta next season (as Weigl probably gonna go to City). Bakayoko might be a better player overall, but France needs a guy that can control possession and help in the build-up play and already have countless star midfielders with the same skillset as Bakayoko.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not really : Kanté and Pogba are out.
Rabiot and Matuidi will be starters. Depending on the system, no other midfield might start. If there's a third one, I'd rather have Rabiot at 6 and Bakayoko at 8.
In any case, no reason to select N'Zonzi over him.
As for Pavard, it makes zero sense, he's not even a RB.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Not really : Kanté and Pogba are out.
Rabiot and Matuidi will be starters. Depending on the system, no other midfield might start. If there's a third one, I'd rather have Rabiot at 6 and Bakayoko at 8.
In any case, no reason to select N'Zonzi over him.
As for Pavard, it makes zero sense, he's not even a RB.

Nothing wrong with giving N'Zonzi a look in a friendly match could be a nice weapon to have in the WC squad, plus he's tall AF giving another aerial threat. Yeah, Rabiot is amazing at 6 as well, Emery should use him more there. Anyway, France has so many top players it's hard to get upset about Deschamps' choices. Don't know much about Pavard, so can't comment on him being called up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad