Waived: Nathan Walker again (upd: back to caps)

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Which is exactly the amount Edmonton paid to Washington when they claimed him on Dec 1, no? Each team is, net, out absolutely zero dollars (except actual salary paid to the player while they controlled him).

Isn't it the same amount the Oilers paid to the Caps in the first place?

Yes sirs and/or madams.

Essentially, Washington got their player back and Edmonton got their money back.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
cant win if you don't play

He got into 2 games and numerous practices. Whatever the case he didn't show the coaching staff of the GM enough to warrant a roster spot. That doesn't mean that he can't bounce back elsewhere. For me, I saw a small guy with a lot of speed and not much else.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He got into 2 games and numerous practices. Whatever the case he didn't show the coaching staff of the GM enough to warrant a roster spot. That doesn't mean that he can't bounce back elsewhere. For me, I saw a small guy with a lot of speed and not much else.

Lets be honest. If you pick up a young player on waivers and don't have him in the lineup and cant manage to get him two games in a row to find any kind of comfort zone, there was never really a lot of interest in the player. its fine that they didn't want him. Its just pretty clear to me that they thought the waiver price was worth paying just to see him up close. They had nothing more than that invested. Its like they borrowed him for a couple weeks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Or you know he just didn't show well. We sent a better player to the AHL prior to waiving him, possibly 2 if you consider Pakarinen the better player. He wasn't given much of a chance but it was still a chance that he didn't make much of.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Or you know he just didn't show well. We sent a better player to the AHL prior to waiving him, possibly 2 if you consider Pakarinen the better player. He wasn't given much of a chance but it was still a chance that he didn't make much of.

the better player was waiver excempt. yes? this is a common practice. As for not making a lot out of very little, also common. Usually a player you would like to see succeed is put in some kind of position to succeed. Given what little opportunity he was given, I would think success would be a rare thing.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
the better player was waiver excempt. yes? this is a common practice. As for not making a lot out of very little, also common. Usually a player you would like to see succeed is put in some kind of position to succeed. Given what little opportunity he was given, I would think success would be a rare thing.
True, but the Oilers aren't at the position right now where they can let a guy get adjusted and hope he contributes later. It was a decent gamble on claiming Walker, but he wasn't a fit so its best for everyone that Washington claimed him again.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
True, but the Oilers aren't at the position right now where they can let a guy get adjusted and hope he contributes later. It was a decent gamble on claiming Walker, but he wasn't a fit so its best for everyone that Washington claimed him again.

Well. That's all true. It makes you wonder just a bit what the motivation was to claim him. But....

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Well. That's all true. It makes you wonder just a bit what the motivation was to claim him. But....

Our PK is wretched so anything or anyone with speed would be an acceptable attempt at fixing it. Unfortunately Walker is pretty useless overall - undersized guy with no discernible elite skill.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Our PK is wretched so anything or anyone with speed would be an acceptable attempt at fixing it. Unfortunately Walker is pretty useless overall - undersized guy with no discernible elite skill.

and they couldn't see that in game video or by pro scouting? Did the Oilers at least get a nice road trip to Cali or Pheonix or something while he was there?

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Perhaps Walker didn't want to be there? His very best friend in the world who he lived with every rookie camp and even still as far as I know is Holtby. Maybe his agent made it clear he wasn't happy with the claim. Who knows what went on behind the scenes but Walker is a very serviceable player and belongs in the NHL be it this year or next. He's nearly NHL ready and with more games under his belt he'll only get closer. He got a boatload of speed, a no-quit game and actually has pretty decent hands which he's proven at the AHL level already. He showed flashes of offense in his games in DC this season just didn't get consistent enough game in and game out with the same line to make it happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->