Will MacKinnon win the Hart trophy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
A LOT butt hurt people at the main boards "discussing" about the hart trophy finalists.

There were guys that could had been in the top three (Giroux, McDavid, Kucherov, Malkin) but I personally think that the trio of MacK/Hall/Kopitar is the correct combination.

Reactions: McMetal
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Edmonton fans are obnoxious. McDavid for Hart? Why because he got fed minutes to stat pad when his team had nothing to play for anymore? Because he led his team from the bottom of the league to...the bottom of the league!? McDavid's been in the league 3 years now and his team has been a lottery team 2/3 years. Not, just barely missing out on the playoffs, but clearly not being a playoff team.

We get it, you lucked into the league's best player, but he doesn't deserve the MVP award because he hasn't led your team anywhere.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Edmonton fans are obnoxious. McDavid for Hart? Why because he got fed minutes to stat pad when his team had nothing to play for anymore? Because he led his team from the bottom of the league to...the bottom of the league!? McDavid's been in the league 3 years now and his team has been a lottery team 2/3 years. Not, just barely missing out on the playoffs, but clearly not being a playoff team.

We get it, you lucked into the league's best player, but he doesn't deserve the MVP award because he hasn't led your team anywhere.

No player would be able to drag the Oilers out of that tire fire, but I do agree he shouldn't be in the running for Hart. It's the most valuable to the team... if the Oilers lost McDavid they would still be the bottom of the league, albeit with a worse record. There are plenty of other trophies to show that he's the best player in the league with the Art Ross, Rocket and Lindsay.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco

This.

My view on the Hart is that it should go to the guy who's most valuable to his team's success. If your team doesn't have any success, you shouldn't be getting the MVP trophy. Does that mean that Lemieux probably shouldn't have won it in '87? Yeah it kinda does. Sorry Super Mario.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
The Oilers finished 23rd overall. The team probably played like 20 to 30 meaningless games. I know it's not on Mcdavid but the team wasn't even close and were completely irrelevant for more than half of the season. There's no way he's going to win the MVP when that happens unless he blows away the scoring race

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
McDavid shouldn't win the Hart for the same reason the Conn Smythe shouldn't go to Landeskog. It doesn't matter how valuable you were to your team if your team isn't good.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Hart is about regular season team success, Lindsay is about individual play. That's how I see the difference between the two.

Agreed, which is why I'm glad to see Mc and Mac go head-to-head on this award. All 3 of the finalists I feel could have a legitimate shot to take it and I wouldn't question whoever takes home the Lindsay.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Obviously hoping MacKinnon wins this but voters using making the playoffs as a qualifier is stupid. Not McDavid's fault his teammates were terrible.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The Hart has traditional been a most spectacular player to have had enough team success to make the playoffs. This is a pretty rare thing to have three guys up for it without any of them having claimed the Ross or Rocket. When was the last time that the highest finish in the scoring race of the finalists was low as MacK’s?

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
What was their record this year?
They won 36 games, without him, they would get way less than that.

Why should he get penalized for having a terrible team around him?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
They won 36 games, without him, they would get way less than that.

Why should he get penalized for having a terrible team around him?
That's what the Lindsey award is for. The best player. Individual accomplishment. McDavid deserves that accolade.

The Hart trophy is for most valuable player to their team.

Without McDavid Edmonton still finishes bottom 1/3rd of the league, without MacKinnon the Avs finish right there with them not in the playoffs. Thus making MacKinnon more valuable to his team, this season, than McDavid.

Sure it sucks for McDavid, but you can't tell me that his roster is any worse than the roster the Avs put on the ice this year. Difference is MacKinnon drove us and wouldn't let us miss the playoffs. McDavid's team packed it in, in about February. MVPs don't allow their team to pack it in, 3 months before the end of the season.

Reactions: McMetal and Tweaky

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
McDavid was really valuable to his team, could argue most valuable, how can you not. He passes both eye test and metric test. He blew everyone away on EV points this year and how can anyone that watch the Oilers think “he’s not valuable”? Oilers roster is crap, they would be ranked near 31st without him.

I think MacKinnon is the front runner for Hart, with Hall 2nd. However, if Avs lost the final game and don’t make the playoffs, I think Hall is the winner. Which makes no sense, I find the playoff argument for voting who wins the MVP is stupid in every sport. McDavid is getting the Mike Trout treatment, getting penalized because his GM and coach are terrible.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
McDavid was really valuable to his team, could argue most valuable, how can you not. He passes both eye test and metric test. Oilers roster is crap, they would be ranked near 31st without him.

I think MacKinnon is the front runner for Hart, with Hall 2nd. However, if Avs lost the final game and don’t make the playoffs, I think Hall is the winner. Which makes no sense, I find the playoff argument for voting who wins the MVP is stupid in every sport. McDavid is getting the Mike Trout treatment, getting penalized because his GM and coach are terrible.

It’s been like that forever :dunno: I think only one player has won the hart while not making the playoffs and that was Lemieux. McDavid should 100% win the Lindsay though imo.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I cant wait to see the balloting. Betting that McDavid was actually 4th or 5th, but because the only annouce 3 finalists, it looks like he was snubbed. It will be interesting to see how various Edmonton media voted....wonder if there will be a bunch of Giroux, Marchand, etc. 2nd and 3rd place votes to push the point totals of the true front runners down. I also wonder how many players end up with 1st place votes, and how many have 50% or more of the winner total points (say Nate wins with 400 points...how many guys have over 200...betting it will be a bunch, as there are a lot of guys that could be in the top 5, and homer votes will have more sway when voting is split up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad