Nashville sale thread--Leipold PULLS OUT of sale, Balsillie's bid OUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
The Globe and Mail now reports that "[t]wo days into the campaign, the number of people putting deposits on season tickets for a potential National Hockey League team in Hamilton overtook the number of season-ticket holders of the Nashville Predators."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...5.wsptpreds15/BNStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home/

Can you really trust these numbers? The money is fully refundable at any point to the costumer. So a deposit today could be refunded next week. Seems to me that would make it very easy to manipulate the numbers.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The Globe and Mail now reports that "[t]wo days into the campaign, the number of people putting deposits on season tickets for a potential National Hockey League team in Hamilton overtook the number of season-ticket holders of the Nashville Predators."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...5.wsptpreds15/BNStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home/

Even though this stat doesn't hold much weight at all, it's still pretty freaking hilarious. Just have a competition, whoever sells more tickets wins the team.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Even though this stat doesn't hold much weight at all, it's still pretty freaking hilarious. Just have a competition, whoever sells more tickets wins the team.
Yeah, but to have that competition be anywhere close to being fair...boost the deposit prices up to the actual ticket prices like we pay here in Nashville and everyone else does in the other 29 NHL markets for their season tickets and luxary boxes.

I wouldn't doubt when all is said and done that the number of deposits in Hamilton will exceed MANY NHL teams when compared to the number of season-ticket holders.

mr. Blase

Jun 6, 2007
Ontario
Hey I'm just reporting some interesting news relevant to the story. The prices paid for the deposits range from $500-$5000. Refundable yes, but not till 2009 and no interest will be paid. I know several people who put down deposits, and each of them will buy full-priced season tickets if they ever get the chance. And I doubt that many cities outside Canada could sell this many tickets for non existent seats for a non existent team.

edit: it adds up to over $8.5 million spent on fake tickets in less than two days.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Yeah, but to have that competition be anywhere close to being fair...boost the deposit prices up to the actual ticket prices like we pay here in Nashville and everyone else does in the other 29 NHL markets for their season tickets and luxary boxes.

I wouldn't doubt when all is said and done that the number of deposits in Hamilton will exceed MANY NHL teams when compared to the number of season-ticket holders.

Which is exactly why I said the stats didn't hold much weight.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
Hey I'm just reporting some interesting news relevant to the story. The prices paid for the deposits range from $500-$5000. Refundable yes, but not till 2009 and no interest will be paid. I know several people who put down deposits, and each of them will buy full-priced season tickets if they ever get the chance. And I doubt that many cities outside Canada could sell this many tickets for non existent seats for a non existent team.

QUOTE------

Those who put down money can get their money back at any time, and all deposits will be refunded if the team isn't moved here by December 2009

Taken from this Hamilton Spectator article.....
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/208285

Sorry man, this refundable deposit program holds little water in my book.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Even boosting the deposit prices would not change the equation wrt Nashville. We can debate all we like about whether Hamilton has what it takes to support a franchise long term but I would be willing to bet most of what I have that if the NHL waved its magic wand and gave Hamilton a franchise today the euphoria over this
decision would result in the regular seating being sold out in days. However, in the big scheme of things I cannot see this meaning anything to the NHL right now. This whole process is part of Balsillie's powerplay with the league. How he will play it out
is yet to be seen.

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
QUOTE------

Those who put down money can get their money back at any time, and all deposits will be refunded if the team isn't moved here by December 2009

Taken from this Hamilton Spectator article.....
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/208285

Sorry man, this refundable deposit program holds little water in my book.

So you're saying that people throwing 500-5000 dollars at a possibility of a team, aren't really serious?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Don't know if this was posted but I saw this on Kuklas' Korner.
from the Nashville Post,

Sources told NashvillePost.com that the sale to Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie is in danger because of Metro’s legal wrangling over the lease with the team, and the result could be a legal war between the city and the Predators. Attorneys from both sides have been meeting for weeks and team owner Craig Leipold and his attorneys are meeting with Mayor Bill Purcell and the city’s attorneys this afternoon.
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/weblog/comments/sale_of_preds_in_danger/

You have to have a paid subscription to read the article so all I saw was that portion posted on the blog.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
I'm saying that with this buzz of excitement for some, it would be easy to quickly throw down $1,000 knowing that I could make one phone call and it would be back in my bank the next day.

I'm not suggesting that every credit card with any affiliation to RIM could have order 4 tickets each, but that's possible too. :)

Fugu

I'm saying that with this buzz of excitement for some, it would be easy to quickly throw down $1,000 knowing that I could make one phone call and it would be back in my bank the next day.

I'm not suggesting that every credit card with any affiliation to RIM could have order 4 tickets each, but that's possible too. :)

Oh come on. There's nothing to suggest that RIM isn't a reputable company and RIM isn't trying to buy the Preds, Balsillie is... using personal monies not RIM's assets. Besides, one memo leaked to the media is all it would take. I know it's hard, but let's stick to reality and what has been reported...

Brazz

This boat is 4 real!
Nov 6, 2005
Reguardless if it is only desposits if Hamilton did get a team those season tickets would be snatched up so fast.

AgentOrange*

A team in Hamilton or anywhere in southern Ontario would be better for the NHL then a team in Nashville IMO.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
Oh come on. There's nothing to suggest that RIM isn't a reputable company and RIM isn't trying to buy the Preds, Balsillie is... using personal monies not RIM's assets. Besides, one memo leaked to the media is all it would take. I know it's hard, but let's stick to reality and what has been reported...

That was a joke buddy. Guess I used the wrong smiley.

I question these numbers because a 100% refundable deposit at any time makes it easy for people to sign on. Especially in this wave of excitement around here.

A person could want to have a NHL club in Hamilton but not really be sure if he/ she wants or can afford seasons. But they are sure they want a team. That makes this really easy for them. I'll phone in my order, order two tickets, help land this club and a month from now when I'm thinking with a level head I might just ask for my money back as I realize that I can't afford the time or money for seasons.

If this money was a refundable deposit that couldn't be touched until December of 2009 (the final refund date) then people would truly be putting down a deposit and I would put a little more stock in it.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
It is real simple. If the guy owns the team, and has no lease for an arena or can get out of the lease, he should be able to do with the team what he wants. Heck, he can even move it to Moose Jaw or Kamloops for all I care. Will there be some upset people in Nashville? Sure but then maybe they should have worked harder to support the team. The team has been good for many years and they still don't draw. In Chicago, we would DIE for a team that had an owner like Nashville where the guy wants to WIN. Instead, we have an owner whose teams barely outdraws the AHL team.

SoCalPredFan

Apr 14, 2007
Portland, OR
It was just announced on the local Nashville radio (104.5 FM) that Leopold has officially enacted "The Clause"

... let the fun begin!

-t

PS Nice chickensh!t move to do it Friday afternoon at 5:00 PM.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
It was just announced on the local Nashville radio (104.5 FM) that Leopold has officially enacted "The Clause"

... let the fun begin!

-t

PS Nice chickensh!t move to do it Friday afternoon at 5:00 PM.

No surprise here. Here's to the deal falling apart and the local group working out a deal (unlikely at this point, in terms of the deal falling apart).

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Is there a buyout clause in the lease that would make the 14,000 paid ticket target irrelevant? That's what this article seems to state:

"Even if fans buy 3,000 more tickets, Balsillie still could buy his way out of the lease.

Sports authority member Steve North pointed out a buyout clause with a prorated scale that could be $27 million now. Spyridon said Balsillie certainly can write that check, leaving Nashville relying on Bettman's promises.

"I think it's a severe black eye on the NHL if we live up to our agreement and they let him break the lease," Spyridon said."

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_6151081

GHOST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->