Nashville - Poor Playoff Attendance and OLN Blackout

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
mr gib said:
he had no choice - the nba and stu jackson jinxed it right from the get go -

heisley opened the books and as i said above only 8000 paid a night - plus the 63 cent dollar and the players boo hooing about not being able to buy grits at safeway -

it'll be back post 2010 if not before - cuban who's on 1040 from time to time mentioned the mavs would haved moved too if he had of listened to the nba about how he should have marketed the team - when he bought them they had two sales people - he hired 38 more - he had sympathy for us grizz fan's - it didn't have to happen - the ball was dropped by everyone involved -

Hisley is probably lying. I remember the radio here were saying how he did not want to run his business in Vancouver and that he had other things in Memphis. Whatever, memphis cannot be doing much better on his "books" honestly that team has blocks of sections on any given night for a winning team at that.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
PortlandRanger said:
Hisley is probably lying. I remember the radio here were saying how he did not want to run his business in Vancouver and that he had other things in Memphis. Whatever, memphis cannot be doing much better on his "books" honestly that team has blocks of sections on any given night for a winning team at that.
ditto on memphis - at least there a playoff team now - by the by -

did you see sherreeff made the playoffs for the first time ?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
mr gib said:
ditto on memphis - at least there a playoff team now - by the by -

did you see sherreeff made the playoffs for the first time ?

Yeah I did, he sucks. We got a ***** of an owner who is clearly trying to leave the city because he signed a crappy lease deal and probably is bored of owning the blazers (damn rich people). Stern is an idiot, he is good at marketing, but he is such a sissy, cannot even stop owners from making stupid decisions. When it is all said and done seattle and portland's nba teams may be gone.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
PortlandRanger said:
Yeah I did, he sucks. We got a ***** of an owner who is clearly trying to leave the city because he signed a crappy lease deal and probably is bored of owning the blazers (damn rich people). Stern is an idiot, he is good at marketing, but he is such a sissy, cannot even stop owners from making stupid decisions. When it is all said and done seattle and portland's nba teams may be gone.
i saw that - i work with a guy who's in buisness with - " your owner " - i can't drop a name like that - chuckle -

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
PortlandRanger said:
This is not just Hockey in Tennessee, have you ever seen grizzlies games in memphis? It is the same thing small markets not being able to sustain good attendance. The grizzlies should not have moved from vancouver in the first place in my opinion.
If this was the problem, I'd undestand it more. However when 68k pack Titans stadium on every Sunday with a 5 year waiting list for tickets and UT is pulling in 110k on Saturdays along with Vanderbilt pulling in another 40k all for football, you have to know the corporations are there, it's just marketing to them effectively. We did our first two years with Scott Loft, now we struggle with Violetta who also struggled in Pittsburg and Ottawa from what I've heard.

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006
PortlandRanger said:
Well I went to a few blazers road games in the Grizzlies early years and it was pretty full. I mean that team was horrid, they set all time low records that will never be broken. Ever seen the grizzlies on tv lately? They have blocks of seats full. The difference is that team makes the playoffs every year. You can say it all you want, but in my opinion it was stupid.

looketh attendance speaks for itself.

This years memphis attendance average for the grizzlies comming off a playoff birth last season is 15,793.

Vancouver Grizzlies Attendance:
1998-99 417,966 16,719
1997-98 660,457 16,109
1996-97 679,422 16,571
1995-96 704,489 17,183

Why did they move again?
BRING BACK THE NBA TO VANCOUVER BABYYY :yo:
seriously tho i totally agree the grizz should have never left vancouver the only reason this team didnt do so well is because we had THE WORST MANAGEMENT running this team. Stu Jackson :shakehead .....grizz would still be in vancouver if this guy knew how to draft well and put a good team on the court. I do hope the nba does give vancouver another shot. This city has grown since the nba left and as a fan i would love nothing better then to have the cfl, nhl, and nba in this city. Three teams to watch would be awesome.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
triggrman said:
If this was the problem, I'd undestand it more. However when 68k pack Titans stadium on every Sunday with a 5 year waiting list for tickets and UT is pulling in 110k on Saturdays along with Vanderbilt pulling in another 40k all for football, you have to know the corporations are there, it's just marketing to them effectively. We did our first two years with Scott Loft, now we struggle with Violetta who also struggled in Pittsburg and Ottawa from what I've heard.

It is not hard to sell out what, 8 home games a season? That is just pent up demand, but we are talking about an 82 game schedule + playoffs. You can put football in North Dakota and it would sell out. I hope it works out for you, nashville has some of the loudest fans.

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
The problem is Nashville did not draw the Red Wings in the playoffs. I love watching the Wings at Preds games on TV and hear a "Let's go Red Wings" chant start from the Wings fans in the area.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
naihlflames said:
The problem is Nashville did not draw the Red Wings in the playoffs. I love watching the Wings at Preds games on TV and hear a "Let's go Red Wings" chant start from the Wings fans in the area.
Those are the pukes I'm talking about, they claim to be NHL fans yet, they're only come to the Wings games, so really they're only Wings fans and could care less about the rest of the NHL.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
triggrman said:
Those are the pukes I'm talking about, they claim to be NHL fans yet, they're only come to the Wings games, so really they're only Wings fans and could care less about the rest of the NHL.
Thats how most fans of any team are. I wouldn't pay to see a game with 2 teams I don't care about unless it were a very interesting game, or maybe the playoffs if the teams are ones I'd like to see.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
dafoomie said:
Thats how most fans of any team are. I wouldn't pay to see a game with 2 teams I don't care about unless it were a very interesting game, or maybe the playoffs if the teams are ones I'd like to see.
Unfortunately, I will agree with you that there are a number of fans that are like you and wouldn't go to see two teams you "didn't care about". I think that sucks, plain and simple.

I'm a fan of the sport of hockey first, the Nashville Predators second, and the Hartford Wolf*Pack third. Whenever I have the opportunity to see a professional hockey game I will jump at the chance. Earlier this year I found myself in Pittsburgh for two weeks and when I found out I was going to be there, I immediately checked the Pens schedule to find out if they had any home games during that stretch. They had four and I attended all four and loved watching NHL hockey in an environment where I wasn't necessarily cheering for either team, but instead watching the game of hockey played at an NHL level.

It was great, I met a lot of interesting fans in Pittsburgh, and I would very willing to take in more games if I get the opportunity to. I would highly recommend to anyone else in a similiar position to take in a game where you don't have an emotional interest in the outcome and just sit back and enjoy the beauty of an NHL hockey game.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
SLake said:
Unfortunately, I will agree with you that there are a number of fans that are like you and wouldn't go to see two teams you "didn't care about". I think that sucks, plain and simple.

I'm a fan of the sport of hockey first, the Nashville Predators second, and the Hartford Wolf*Pack third. Whenever I have the opportunity to see a professional hockey game I will jump at the chance. Earlier this year I found myself in Pittsburgh for two weeks and when I found out I was going to be there, I immediately checked the Pens schedule to find out if they had any home games during that stretch. They had four and I attended all four and loved watching NHL hockey in an environment where I wasn't necessarily cheering for either team, but instead watching the game of hockey played at an NHL level.

It was great, I met a lot of interesting fans in Pittsburgh, and I would very willing to take in more games if I get the opportunity to. I would highly recommend to anyone else in a similiar position to take in a game where you don't have an emotional interest in the outcome and just sit back and enjoy the beauty of an NHL hockey game.
I'm a fan of the Bruins first, second, and third. I do watch neutral games, I do find them interesting, and I would go to them. But, I wouldn't pay money to go, at least not a lot, unless its a team or a player I really, really want to see. I may feel masochistic one night and watch an Isles-Leafs game on TV, but I certainly have no interest in paying to see it.

If anyone has to talk about neutral fans not buying expensive seats to support your team as the reason for not selling out, and getting your game blacked out locally, in the playoffs, it reflects badly on you and your team. Maybe your city doesn't need an NHL team. Maybe the ticket prices just need to be structured differently. But don't hold me accountable for your team's poor attendance.

If a team is not selling out in the playoffs, and getting their games blacked out locally, that sucks, plain and simple. My team sucks with a capital S, we won't be as close to contending for the cup as Nashville is for quite a while. But at least we sell out our playoff games and get all our games on TV.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
dafoomie said:
I'm a fan of the Bruins first, second, and third. I do watch neutral games, I do find them interesting, and I would go to them. But, I wouldn't pay money to go, at least not a lot, unless its a team or a player I really, really want to see. I may feel masochistic one night and watch an Isles-Leafs game on TV, but I certainly have no interest in paying to see it.

If anyone has to talk about neutral fans not buying expensive seats to support your team as the reason for not selling out, and getting your game blacked out locally, in the playoffs, it reflects badly on you and your team. Maybe your city doesn't need an NHL team. Maybe the ticket prices just need to be structured differently. But don't hold me accountable for your team's poor attendance.

If a team is not selling out in the playoffs, and getting their games blacked out locally, that sucks, plain and simple. My team sucks with a capital S, we won't be as close to contending for the cup as Nashville is for quite a while. But at least we sell out our playoff games and get all our games on TV.

what exactly in his post caused you to respond like such a jerk? i'm wondering if you misread something.

for what it's worth, the Preds decided not to black the game out, regardless...though I did hear a lot of the remaining tickets were sold today, and there's still all of tomorrow.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
nomorekids said:
what exactly in his post caused you to respond like such a jerk? i'm wondering if you misread something.

for what it's worth, the Preds decided not to black the game out, regardless...though I did hear a lot of the remaining tickets were sold today, and there's still all of tomorrow.
Glad to hear the game isnt being blacked out (I think it was just a marketing ploy anyway). For what its worth, the guy before him is what set me off. Neutral fans are not to blame when your team cant sell out a playoff game. I dont appriciate being called a puke, or not a "real fan" because I wont throw down $100 for a game with two teams that I have no interest in. I will apologize to the guy I responded to, since it was the wrong guy. Sorry. I probably came on a little stronger than I meant to.

The upcoming Nashville-San Jose game will probably be 10 times better than the Bruins game I actually paid money for.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
dafoomie said:
Glad to hear the game isnt being blacked out (I think it was just a marketing ploy anyway). For what its worth, the guy before him is what set me off. Neutral fans are not to blame when your team cant sell out a playoff game. I dont appriciate being called a puke, or not a "real fan" because I wont throw down $100 for a game with two teams that I have no interest in. I will apologize to the guy I responded to, since it was the wrong guy. Sorry. I probably came on a little stronger than I meant to.

The upcoming Nashville-San Jose game will probably be 10 times better than the Bruins game I actually paid money for.

If I can be so bold as to put words in the previous poster's mouth, I think the "puke" comment is directed more at the type of Wings fans that DO come to the games. I've seen them taunting CHILDREN in Preds jersies after a loss, I've seen them spit on Preds fans, and I've seen them resort to the usual, "well...you're just...rednecks anyway," when they lose.

It was nice to see, last year, that the Red Wing contingent that's so prevalent in the regular season wasn't really in attendance...something we had been concerned about, beforehand.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
nomorekids said:
If I can be so bold as to put words in the previous poster's mouth, I think the "puke" comment is directed more at the type of Wings fans that DO come to the games. I've seen them taunting CHILDREN in Preds jersies after a loss, I've seen them spit on Preds fans, and I've seen them resort to the usual, "well...you're just...rednecks anyway," when they lose.

It was nice to see, last year, that the Red Wing contingent that's so prevalent in the regular season wasn't really in attendance...something we had been concerned about, beforehand.
Then I apologize to everybody since I misread the comment.

It does seem kind of silly that I would think someone is calling out people in other cities for not going to his team's games.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Zack Attack said:
Move them.
Yes just what this league needs right now for credibilty. Relocation. You are so brilliant.
We're talking Nashville here not Toronto. Its not a traditional hockey market. My guess is that most Preds fans weren't even hockey fans before the preds came to town. So really they have done OK. They need more time to develop a fan base than say Winni...oops, or Quebec Ci...Oops never mind.
And if you didn't read its not lack of fan supprt its lack of corporate support thats the problem there.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
dafoomie said:
Yeah, I'm sorry, I probably got a little off topic too. I wasn't trying to insinuate that the casual fan or a fan such as yourself that has no vested interest in the game should be buying the tickets. I was saying that I always jump at the opportunity to attend a professional hockey game, but that's just me.

The main problem here is that many of the businesses and corporations in Nashville that bought tickets during the regular season did not buy playoff tickets which is what's killing us in the lower bowl area. There are not tickets available in the upper bowl (there might be, but not that many, honestly, I'm not sure) where the average fan sits. Unfortunately, this has been a problem all season long (corporate sales), but my hope is with a full summer to market the team, that the Predators can do a better job selling corporate tickets next season. What I fear though is that this "stunt" has alienated some of the businesses that have purchased tickets in the past and that they will not renew now.

Bottom line though is that the market is still growing and I've encountered many people this season who have taken in a game and loved it. The job of the organization now (and the fans too) is to get them to come back to see another game and get them hooked.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
The predators situation is not bad when you look at the Grizzlies situation.

GRIZZLIES: Grizzlies Majority Owner Michael Heisley “acknowledg[ed] that he is willing to sell his stake†in the team. But he said, “I’m planning on being back here next year.†Heisley said of former NBAers Christian Laettner and Brian Davis potentially buying a stake, “We’re waiting to hear from them. But I’ll tell you that they’ve got a ways to go†(Memphis COMMERCIAL APPEAL, 4/28). In Memphis, Jim Masilak reports “thousands of seats remained available†as of Thursday afternoon for Mavericks-Grizzlies Games Three and Four. The team is offering $26.75 seats for $15 in a SHot Ticket†promo, but Grizzlies President of Business Operations Andy Dolich said the response “didn’t meet the definition of hot†(COMMERCIAL APPEAL, 4/28).

Ogopogo*

PortlandRanger said:
Well I went to a few blazers road games in the Grizzlies early years and it was pretty full. I mean that team was horrid, they set all time low records that will never be broken. Ever seen the grizzlies on tv lately? They have blocks of seats full. The difference is that team makes the playoffs every year. You can say it all you want, but in my opinion it was stupid.

looketh attendance speaks for itself.

This years memphis attendance average for the grizzlies comming off a playoff birth last season is 15,793.

Vancouver Grizzlies Attendance:
1998-99 417,966 16,719
1997-98 660,457 16,109
1996-97 679,422 16,571
1995-96 704,489 17,183

Why did they move again?

The paid numbers must have been a lot higher than the actual numbers. I saw San Antonio beat the Grizzlies in Vancouver back in 1999-99 season and, if there were 10,000 in the building I would be shocked.

Vancouver is not a very good sports city. When the teams are winning, they show up. When the teams are losing, the building is empty. That is for ALL sports - hockey included.

But, the reason they moved is that their owner, Michael Heisley, wanted to get them out of Canada and put them in a real basketball market to make more $. Dumbass should have moved to St. Louis instead of Memphis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Transported Upstater

Hasbro said:
Maybe it got out that ice is frozen water. We know how terrified rednecks are of water. :rolleyes:

YEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm, all they ever saw was trouble with the law since the day they were born..."
-Copyright of the Greatest TV Show Ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad