News Article: Nashville looking for a top 6 forward

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think there's a hurry to trade them and they aren't at a very good value level after last season. I'm down with seeing if they can have a good first half and sell at the deadline.

what would you be hoping to get even if they have good first halfs? I don't doubt that Holland has tried moving at least one of them in the past, and if they couldn't pull an established D at that point, I don't think that changes in the near future.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
what would you be hoping to get even if they have good first halfs? I don't doubt that Holland has tried moving at least one of them in the past, and if they couldn't pull an established D at that point, I don't think that changes in the near future.

I'm not looking for an established defenseman. I'd be happy with picks and prospects. Established defenseman wouldn't be a priority for me at this juncture. I'm all about the scorched Earth rebuild at this point.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not looking for an established defenseman. I'd be happy with picks and prospects. Established defenseman wouldn't be a priority for me at this juncture. I'm all about the scorched Earth rebuild at this point.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't jump at Fabbro and a pick then?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd be willing to take a shot on a defenseman like this even if it's risky. I'd go for Girard too, maybe throw in Farrance or Allard.

Might as well load up on D prospects from a team that actually knows how to scout them.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You don't think Nyquist would waive that to go to Nashville? I bet he would.

I don't think this is a dealine kind of move. But waiting to move him at the deadline does put in play that he will have a lot of control over where he does go was sort of the point. If we are moving Nyquist my guess it comes before the end of Friday.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He either returns a 1st or he returns Fabbro. He doesn't return both and he doesn't return much more than Fabbro if there is an add. I would be happy with either as Fabbro is a very good prospect in the correct age band. This suggestion that his value as decreased in the last year is laughable. The nice thing about targeting Nashville's first is that I don't see them as a lock to finish high in the West. We could end up with a mid first rounder if things break right for us and some other teams take a step forward.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He either returns a 1st or he returns Fabbro. He doesn't return both and he doesn't return much more than Fabbro if there is an add. I would be happy with either as Fabbro is a very good prospect in the correct age band. This suggestion that his value as decreased in the last year is laughable. The nice thing about targeting Nashville's first is that I don't see them as a lock to finish high in the West. We could end up with a mid first rounder if things break right for us and some other teams take a step forward.
So don't trade him then. We can likely get a good TDL haul with players like Green/Sheahan, maybe even one of the goalies, maybe XO or Sproul, maybe someone we sign as a FA (another Vanek). No need to sell for picks and prospects right now, we just had 11 picks in the draft so we can chill for a few months and see how things play out.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
So don't trade him then. We can likely get a good TDL haul with players like Green/Sheahan, maybe even one of the goalies, maybe XO or Sproul, maybe someone we sign as a FA (another Vanek). No need to sell for picks and prospects right now, we just had 11 picks in the draft so we can chill for a few months and see how things play out.

Things will play out poorly. You can keep telling yourself that things will be better but it only makes you look foolish. We would need to trade him this month as his no-trade clause kicks in soon. Gus should not be part of this organization long-term. He puts the complimentary in complimentary. I would be very happy to move him for a first-round pick or Fabbro.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
So don't trade him then.

Why? He won't be helping this team, when it's ready to win anything. He's not a Z-type leader or a core player. He's not more than a middling top-6 winger in the first place. If someone is going to give you (a) valuable part(s) for him, you take them without hesitation.

I don't get the stark terror that seems to afflict the front office (and some fans) at the idea of losing any one of the pieces that are already not doing anything to help the team win, and certainly won't be doing more in 5+ years.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Fabbro+1st, okay. Fabbro+2nd, no.

Consider that a 1st from Nashville is almost a 2nd round value. Fabbro also didn't do anything special this year (moderately better year than Cholowski, who is supposed to be the much more raw prospect) so his value hasn't increased post-draft.

I can't really see Kenny doing a trade like this right now though. Maybe at the TDL.

Fabbro had a much better year in the NCAA and his junior numbers destroy Cholo's.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't get the stark terror that seems to afflict the front office (and some fans) at the idea of losing any one of the pieces that are already not doing anything to help the team win, and certainly won't be doing more in 5+ years.
And I don't get the rush to dump players for literally any return. If we're trading Nyquist, I would hope we could get a better return than Fabbro or just a late, late 1st. Even if we have to actually add to Gus in a package, it's worth it.

Fabbro had a much better year in the NCAA and his junior numbers destroy Cholo's.
I'd really like to hear your take on why you think Fabbro had a much better year. Seriously, I'm interested. Statistically he had 4 more points while playing on a better team. Both Fabbro and Cholo seem to have not really gotten the kind of deployment that helps point totals. Was it their defensive play? Something else?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd really like to hear your take on why you think Fabbro had a much better year. Seriously, I'm interested. Statistically he had 4 more points while playing on a better team. Both Fabbro and Cholo seem to have not really gotten the kind of deployment that helps point totals. Was it their defensive play? Something else?

Well, Fabbro was buried behind some legit future NHL'ers.

Cholowski was buried behind guys like Jack Ahcan, who went undrafted.

But neither had a freshman season like I was expecting.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
And I don't get the rush to dump players for literally any return. If we're trading Nyquist, I would hope we could get a better return than Fabbro or just a late, late 1st. Even if we have to actually add to Gus in a package, it's worth it.

No one has suggested "literally any return" or anything close to it. Fabbro is a pretty decent defensive prospect. And Nyquist, a middling top-6 winger in a league full of middling top-6 wingers, isn't going to buy you much more than that. And there's precious little on the roster the team could add ot Nyquist to change that (at least, without selling more future youth, which isn't even something Holland is willing to endorse). Holding onto him forever just in case is an abysmal waste.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Get to kickin' tires Kenny....

We could still move Gus.....in the next 3 days.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Unless Holland improves this team drastically in the next five days, I am confused why anyone would be against making such a trade

Almost all the so called "windows " for making changes have closed already, we won't and can't be big players in free agency which leaves trades and once July 2nd hit, those two dry up for the most part.

He has five days and counting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->