Nashville game 5 sold-out in 20 minutes

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Hopefully, this news, coupled with the non-sell outs in Detroit and New Jersey, can kill off most of the "nashville has no fans, doesnt deserve a team talk".

Its not Toronto, but there's plenty of fans enough and we support our team just like everyone else.

Congrats Nashville! Your fan support has never been in question. It's the lack of corporate support that has folks (including The Hockey News) wondering how long the Preds can survive.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Well Calgary is less than an hour to the nearest ski hills (~2 hours to get to hills comparable to Whistler), Edmonton is about 4 hours to the mountains(at least to get to Banff, I think getting to Jasper is much the same depending on weather).

Anyways, to the point of the thread, good job to Nashville. Just show that a good team will sell. A decent showing in the playoffs might generate enough 'serious' support to help the team stick around.

Edmonton to Jasper is 4 hours? Thats news to me.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
LOL. You are listening to the wrong station my friend. They probably have you thinking basketball is a major sport in Canada and the Blue Jays and Raptors are loved coast to coast.

The fan590 doesn't have much relevance outside the city of Toronto.

I'm not saying that though, I'm just saying when the CFL is irrelevant in your largest market (which is what, a quarter of the population of the whole country ... Ontario?) than it doesn't really matter. I heard Ottawa doesn't even care about the CFL since you guys all like to bash Toronto for some odd reason. By the way, I'm sure the Fan 590 is only relavent in Toronto and why wouldn't it be? I doubt people in Toronto listen to theteam(insert dial number here). By the way, those radio stations are a complete joke in terms of production quality.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Al Davis won in the only real important case, when he moved the Raiders to LA without NFL approval and the league tried to stop him. Davis sued under US Anti Trust law and won in US District Court, the Ninth US Circuit Court of Appeals, and the US Supreme Court (which declined the case) - LA Memorial Coliseum Commission v NFL, 1984. All the NFL got for it's troubles was an injunction preventing them from enforcing their bylaws on franchise moves, a $50M judgement against them, and lots and lots of legal bills. That's why the NFL was unable to prevent Bob Irsay from backing up the moving trucks in the middle of the night and moving the Baltimore Colts to Indianapolis as well as any of the other franchise moves in the past two plus decades.
What the NFL has instead (selectively) done is impose a fee to be able to move a franchise from one location to another, like it did when it charged Georgia Frontierre $30 million or so to move the Rams to St. Louis (a potential expansion market).

Well, unless you're Al Davis - in which case you can move the Raiders back to Oakland for nothing because the league knows if they try to stop it, they'll get sued and have to pay $1 billion in the end. Or you're Art Modell, in which case you can move the Browns to Baltimore (a potential expansion market) for nothing for no apparent reason.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
I'm not saying that though, I'm just saying when the CFL is irrelevant in your largest market (which is what, a quarter of the population of the whole country ... Ontario?) than it doesn't really matter. I heard Ottawa doesn't even care about the CFL since you guys all like to bash Toronto for some odd reason. By the way, I'm sure the Fan 590 is only relavent in Toronto and why wouldn't it be? I doubt people in Toronto listen to theteam(insert dial number here). By the way, those radio stations are a complete joke in terms of production quality.

CFL is big news in a lot of places... check out the Canadian TV ratings for the Grey Cup. If I'm not mistaken its outdraws the Stanley Cup games sometimes.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
In general, the CFL in Toronto is treated like a small fish in a big pond. Crowds are relatively small in the early going of the year (given the stadium can hold 50,000) but swell considerably if the Argos are making a run at the Grey Cup. Their are still dreams of getting an NFL team their as well.

And it's not that Ottawa doesn't want the CFL, it's that their past 2 ownership groups have been what the Wirtz's are to the Chicago Blackhawks. Apparently there are multiple ownership groups interested in an Ottawa franchise.

Wow, never thought I'd see CFL discussion on HFB

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Just an FYI- I heard the Grey Cup(in Toronto) has already sold out this year. It was fun watching Bob McCowan, one who apparently is on the board bringing the cup to Toronto, try and make sense of it. He didn't believe a "small town" type of atmosphere would work in Toronto, you had to make it an epic event. When told the Grey Cup was sold out, he was actually at a loss for words-they hadn't even announced the festivites or concerts yet.

GSC2k2*

Just an FYI- I heard the Grey Cup(in Toronto) has already sold out this year. It was fun watching Bob McCowan, one who apparently is on the board bringing the cup to Toronto, try and make sense of it. He didn't believe a "small town" type of atmosphere would work in Toronto, you had to make it an epic event. When told the Grey Cup was sold out, he was actually at a loss for words-they hadn't even announced the festivites or concerts yet.
I agree. That moment with McCown was hysterical, IMO. He is such a complete idiot.

Randall Graves*

And the largest market in the US does not even have a football team. Clearly the NFL is irrelevent.

You may want to consider the relevancy of Toronto, or lack there of, when it comes to football in Western Canada.
Yeah but in LA the Trojan and Bruins college teams get plenty of airtime. If LA gets an NFL team they will be the talk of So Cal, atleast until Laker season :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->