Nashville game 5 sold-out in 20 minutes

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
They may be minor league teams, but Vancouver has always had a solid history of supporting grassroots sports/minor leagues. The Giants are treated like a major league team here and that deserves recognition.

Anyway, I was referring more to things like the theatre scene, which is extremely popular for the yuppies these days and is very very well supported. I know the city had a rep in the 90s as no-fun but it's a pretty bustling area nowadays. Comparing it to Edmonton or saying we have to go to Seattle for entertainment is pretty laughable.

Grass roots sports, and Grass roots hockey are two different things. It's still a one trick pony town in terms of sports. Unless you count the CFL (which I personally don't).

Ogopogo*

Grass roots sports, and Grass roots hockey are two different things. It's still a one trick pony town in terms of sports. Unless you count the CFL (which I personally don't).

Since this was a (misplaced) discussion regarding Canadian cities, the CFL is very relevant and it is counted as a major sport in Canada. As an American, you don't need to count it but, in the context of the discussion it is completely appropriate to consider it among the city's major sporting attractions.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
congrats to nashville fans..maybe we will stop hearing people say none of the expansion teams can draw fans and the attendance is poor..they need to contract some teams in the league

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Since this was a (misplaced) discussion regarding Canadian cities, the CFL is very relevant and it is counted as a major sport in Canada. As an American, you don't need to count it but, in the context of the discussion it is completely appropriate to consider it among the city's major sporting attractions.

I listen to the fan590 a lot and I have never once heard anything about the Argos or the CFL. When your largest market disregards the league pretty much I think it speaks wonders about the relevancy of a league.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
You wouldn't go that far?

WHL Giants = WHL Oil Kings
ECHL (Victoria) = NHL (Calgary)
WHL Chilliwack = WHL Red Deer
pile of BCHL teams = pile of AJHL teams

Not sure I follow

I was referring to the city as a whole, not just the sports scene.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
I listen to the fan590 a lot and I have never once heard anything about the Argos or the CFL. When your largest market disregards the league pretty much I think it speaks wonders about the relevancy of a league.

And the largest market in the US does not even have a football team. Clearly the NFL is irrelevent.

You may want to consider the relevancy of Toronto, or lack there of, when it comes to football in Western Canada.

Nashville108*

And the largest market in the US does not even have a football team. Clearly the NFL is irrelevent.

You may want to consider the relevancy of Toronto, or lack there of, when it comes to football in Western Canada.

if you mean LA, they've tried. multiple times, and failed.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003

Dude, I have to wonder why you decided to wade in to defend a Vancouver guy telling the world how great Vancouver is when we all know it isn't????

:yo:

Fugu

if you mean LA, they've tried. multiple times, and failed.

Let me try this again as I got my Rams and Raiders mixed up.

Yeah, that's the wild card the NFL always hold when an owner is being difficult OR if they feel a franchise is in trouble. LA is mother of all contingency plans.

I don't think the market was a failure as much as stadium issues. The LA Rams moved to Anaheim because they wanted luxury boxes and could not get the conversions wanted in LA. After failing to get rights to develop some land in Anaheim adjacent to Anaheim Stadium they got permission to move. The Raiders on the other hand have a much more colorful history with several moves between Oakland and LA, usually involving stadium rights and whether or not boxes could be added, who pays for what, etc. Al Davis fought the league on a lot of these issues as well...antitrust, tampering, etc., but I think the NFL did win out in the end.

Update: Wings didn't sell out on Sunday either. 19,700 was the announced attendance. Capacity is 20,066.

BaconStrips

Oct 22, 2005
You are aware there is more to an entertaining nightlife than sports venues, right? As far as Canadian cities go, Vancouver has the best nightlife this side of Ontario. In fact, from personal experience, and first hand accounts of others, Vancouver's night life is only really topped by Toronto and Montreal. There is a staggering amount of things to do in Vancouver on a Weekend Night.

Ogopogo*

LOL. You are listening to the wrong station my friend. They probably have you thinking basketball is a major sport in Canada and the Blue Jays and Raptors are loved coast to coast.

The fan590 doesn't have much relevance outside the city of Toronto.

Ogopogo*

You are aware there is more to an entertaining nightlife than sports venues, right? As far as Canadian cities go, Vancouver has the best nightlife this side of Ontario. In fact, from personal experience, and first hand accounts of others, Vancouver's night life is only really topped by Toronto and Montreal. There is a staggering amount of things to do in Vancouver on a Weekend Night.

Like what? Or are you simply referring to a staggering number of places to get pissed up?

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Dude, I have to wonder why you decided to wade in to defend a Vancouver guy telling the world how great Vancouver is when we all know it isn't????

:yo:

Not so much defending a Vancouver guy but countering a typical American who isnt smart enough to realize that Canada extends well beyond Toronto's borders.

My bad on NYC vs LA population though.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Vancouver vs Everywhere Else: Different strokes for different folks. This isn't exactly an argument I should get involved with since really, I can't speak with any authority.

Anyways, I'm in the minority amongst my friends but I am really pulling for the warm climate teams (with exception to the Panthers). HFBoards shows that Nashville has a dedicated hockey fan base and their problems are with the corporations rather than the public. This is awesome news and hopefully a big step in the direction of stability for the franchise.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Skiing, for one. Somehow I think the local ski hills pull in more revenue than *even* the mighty NLL.

I love Whistler/Blackcomb as much as the next guy, but Edmonton and Calgary are basically a two-hour drive from the Rocky Mountains.

GSC2k2*

They talk about the CFL on the Fan590 all the time. I am afraid I have to question your statement that you listen to the station.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
The Raiders on the other hand have a much more colorful history with several moves between Oakland and LA, usually involving stadium rights and whether or not boxes could be added, who pays for what, etc. Al Davis fought the league on a lot of these issues as well...antitrust, tampering, etc., but I think the NFL did win out in the end.
Al Davis won in the only real important case, when he moved the Raiders to LA without NFL approval and the league tried to stop him. Davis sued under US Anti Trust law and won in US District Court, the Ninth US Circuit Court of Appeals, and the US Supreme Court (which declined the case) - LA Memorial Coliseum Commission v NFL, 1984. All the NFL got for it's troubles was an injunction preventing them from enforcing their bylaws on franchise moves, a $50M judgement against them, and lots and lots of legal bills. That's why the NFL was unable to prevent Bob Irsay from backing up the moving trucks in the middle of the night and moving the Baltimore Colts to Indianapolis as well as any of the other franchise moves in the past two plus decades.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I love Whistler/Blackcomb as much as the next guy, but Edmonton and Calgary are basically a two-hour drive from the Rocky Mountains.

Well Calgary is less than an hour to the nearest ski hills (~2 hours to get to hills comparable to Whistler), Edmonton is about 4 hours to the mountains(at least to get to Banff, I think getting to Jasper is much the same depending on weather).

Anyways, to the point of the thread, good job to Nashville. Just show that a good team will sell. A decent showing in the playoffs might generate enough 'serious' support to help the team stick around.

Fugu

Al Davis won in the only real important case, when he moved the Raiders to LA without NFL approval and the league tried to stop him. Davis sued under US Anti Trust law and won in US District Court, the Ninth US Circuit Court of Appeals, and the US Supreme Court (which declined the case) - LA Memorial Coliseum Commission v NFL, 1984. All the NFL got for it's troubles was an injunction preventing them from enforcing their bylaws on franchise moves, a $50M judgement against them, and lots and lots of legal bills. That's why the NFL was unable to prevent Bob Irsay from backing up the moving trucks in the middle of the night and moving the Baltimore Colts to Indianapolis as well as any of the other franchise moves in the past two plus decades.

Thanks for expanding on this... I gave up on football about 20 years ago, but did vaguely recall he was able to move in spite of the league's wishes. I tried to look up the details on Davis, figuring I'd be able to glean the relevant details quickly.... Ha ha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad