Nashville game 5 sold-out in 20 minutes

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I've always doubted Nashville as a hockey market, but I was definitly surprised how packed and loud the arena was during game two (which added to my enjoyment in that particular game). This just might be the playoff series the Preds need to grow a solid fan base. I'm still skeptical though.

Nashville108*

I've always doubted Nashville as a hockey market, but I was definitly surprised how packed and loud the arena was during game two. This just might be the playoff series the Preds need to grow a solid fan base. I'm still skeptical though.

Nashville isn't a hockey market. It's a football market. But that doesnt mean we still can't support and be just as passionate as you fans of "hockey market" teams.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I heard they advertised it as a Dixie Chicks concert.
That would NOT sell out in Nashville. Most people around here can't stand them anymore.:teach:
Move em to Winnipeg so they would sell out in 10 minutes instead of 20 (of course there would be 2000 less tickets to sell there)

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
I lived within a 4 hour drive of Vancouver for 30 years. They don't have anything more than Edmonton for entertainment options, unless I have missed some recent developments somewhere.

I wouldnt go that far.

Sportswise, Vancouver has the WHL's Giants as direct competition, while the region has the ECHL in Victoria, another WHL team in Chiliwack, and a pile of BCHL teams that are well supported.

Otherwise, I suppose the argument is that Vancouver has so many non-hockey things to do. This argument is, however, worthless in my opinion. Both for Vancouver and for Nashville. Hockey fans will chose hockey above other pursuits. If there aren't enough hockey fans, you won't fill your building. Other events are just an excuse to cover this fact up.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I wouldnt go that far.

Sportswise, Vancouver has the WHL's Giants as direct competition, while the region has the ECHL in Victoria, another WHL team in Chiliwack, and a pile of BCHL teams that are well supported.

Otherwise, I suppose the argument is that Vancouver has so many non-hockey things to do. This argument is, however, worthless in my opinion. Both for Vancouver and for Nashville. Hockey fans will chose hockey above other pursuits. If there aren't enough hockey fans, you won't fill your building. Other events are just an excuse to cover this fact up.

Are you kidding me? Seriously... All of those are minor league teams.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Are you kidding me? Seriously... All of those are minor league teams.

No, I am not. Simply pointing out that there are other sports teams in the area. Specifically hockey teams. When you get around to reading my second paragraph, you might figure out what my argument was.

FWIW, the Giants averaged nearly 9000 per game this year.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
They may be minor league teams, but Vancouver has always had a solid history of supporting grassroots sports/minor leagues. The Giants are treated like a major league team here and that deserves recognition.

Anyway, I was referring more to things like the theatre scene, which is extremely popular for the yuppies these days and is very very well supported. I know the city had a rep in the 90s as no-fun but it's a pretty bustling area nowadays. Comparing it to Edmonton or saying we have to go to Seattle for entertainment is pretty laughable.

SM17

Nov 25, 2005
Didn't the Penguins game 6 tickets sell out in 11 minutes? However, great for Nashville. Great to see their fans getting into it. The series has been amazing so far.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
I see your 20 minutes and raise you the Pens selling out the first round in 13 minutes. ;)

In fairness, we only had the first two games available at first and opened up game 5 sales the day following the game 2 win.

But I don't think the thread was to say we're the best market by any means. We've gotten alot of crap in this specific forum this season so we have to spread whatever good news we can get. Hopefully this keeps up if we make it further in the playoffs :). It will be great for the city and owner.

Anyway, the reason it took 20 minutes instead of days was because the owner had help passing them out for free :sarcasm:

SM17

Nov 25, 2005
In fairness, we only had the first two games available at first and opened up game 5 sales the day following the game 2 win.

It wasn't the whole first round. Just the first two games as well. Game 6 sold out in 11 minutes.

Ogopogo*

I wouldnt go that far.

You wouldn't go that far?

WHL Giants = WHL Oil Kings
ECHL (Victoria) = NHL (Calgary)
WHL Chilliwack = WHL Red Deer
pile of BCHL teams = pile of AJHL teams

Not sure I follow

Ogopogo*

They may be minor league teams, but Vancouver has always had a solid history of supporting grassroots sports/minor leagues. The Giants are treated like a major league team here and that deserves recognition.

Anyway, I was referring more to things like the theatre scene, which is extremely popular for the yuppies these days and is very very well supported. I know the city had a rep in the 90s as no-fun but it's a pretty bustling area nowadays. Comparing it to Edmonton or saying we have to go to Seattle for entertainment is pretty laughable.

I love it when Vancouver people hang themselves like this.

Comparing it to Edmonton is laughable?????

Ever been to Edmonton? Name one thing Vancouver has that Edmonton does not.

I can name one that Edmonton has that Vancouver does not...NLL.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Uh, no, you're hanging yourself because you didn't even bother to read my post. Yes, I've been to Edmonton, I lived there for six years, and it's entertainment and nightlife isn't in the same league as Vancouver's. Having everything that Vancouver has is not the same as having the same amount of it Vancouver has. I'm not going to **** about this pointless point anymore because there isn't even a debate on it. Anyway, I didn't even start off comparing the cities, merely made the point that there IS a lot of competition for entertainment dollar here, until you started a city pissfest.

Congrats on having the NLL, I guess.

espo*

Hey,that's great. But will it prove to be longer lasting on the charts then "i'll stop loving you today"

Or,respectively...........will it stay in peoples hearts as long as...'i'll stop loving you today"

That's what it comes down to really.

You're set if you get the latter.

Ogopogo*

Uh, no, you're hanging yourself because you didn't even bother to read my post. Yes, I've been to Edmonton, I lived there for six years, and it's entertainment and nightlife isn't in the same league as Vancouver's. Having everything that Vancouver has is not the same as having the same amount of it Vancouver has. I'm not going to **** about this pointless point anymore because there isn't even a debate on it. Anyway, I didn't even start off comparing the cities, merely made the point that there IS a lot of competition for entertainment dollar here, until you started a city pissfest.

Congrats on having the NLL, I guess.

Of course, this is the exact response I always get. As you yourself have said, Vancouver has nothing over and above what Edmonton has. The mistake is that you believe having a little more is an advantage. With double the population, you need double the services to have the same level that Edmonton has. Unfortunately, Vancouver does not have double of everything Edmonton has. (Two NHL teams etc.)

At best, Vancouver is equal to Edmonton in entertainment options.

Why boast about the theatre yet bash the NLL? Have you ever been to either?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogopogo*

You hate for Vancouver is rather tiresome. Do you have anything positive to say about the city?

If you will scroll up a few posts, you will see this:

As you can tell, I certainly did not start any kind of hate war, an uneducated poster bashed Edmonton and made it necessary for me to expose the truth. The stereotype that people like to perpetuate about the City of Champions is ridiculous. The facts are, there is no vastly superior entertainment scene in Vancouver. Even the theatre scene that Red boasts about is similar to what Edmonton offers - even though 95% of the people that frequent these boards would never go.

I am simply myth busting - I have said nothing derogatory about Vancouver. Edmonton is a great city with ALL the amenities of other cities. Let's not have people make stuff up about Edmonton for the purpose of trying to make themselves feel better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad