Nash and the Ref?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
It's pretty funny how people who haven't even seen the video are already making judgements. Very irritating.

Wait till the tape comes out before shooting your mouth off about who should be suspended for an entire tournament or 20 games and what not.

You all need :help:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Lionel Hutz said:
Is it just me or is it only the people in Sweden who say they've seen it?

Maybe because it was seen only in swedish broadcast???

I can't believe people are actually defending Nash, his behavior was extremely threatening judging from that picture and if he has actually hooked the ref twice with his stick, it's DEFINETLY suspension time.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Pepper said:

I can't believe people are actually defending Nash, his behavior was extremely threatening judging from that picture and if he has actually hooked the ref twice with his stick, it's DEFINETLY suspension time.

I know, Its just appalling that people could disagree. BTW, are you still going on the ref's facial expression in that blurry photo, or has something else added to your conviction?

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
I have a friend in Sweden that told me about this. Neither of us are the homer-type, despite being avid fans. I tend to believe him that something happened but I'll have to see it for myself because something like this can easily be taken out of context.

I do find it curious that it's been two days and there's been absolutely no mention of it here. We tend to hear about everything that happens in the hockey world... You figure that something involving Canada's top star being suspended would have garnered some interest from the Canadian media.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Pepper said:

When was the last time you saw contact between the officials and a player? This happens all the time and there's no way any knowledgeable person could make any sort of competent judgement from just one picture. The context is completely removed, and it's debateable as to what, if any, sort of contact there was.

Anyone remember Cujo in the playoffs a few years back? After a goal was scored, he skated in protest to the ref, then tripped and took him out. Take out the context of the goal and just snap one picture of Cujo colliding with the ref and you've got exactly the same thing.

It's a little suspicious to me that this involves Nash, the best player in the tournament by a fair margin. If successful this would devastate Team Canada's chances (the team that's played and beat Sweden in the last two WHC Championships). It's also suspicious to me that nobody but the Swedes felt this was a big enough deal that it should be investigated by the IIHF.

Give it a rest. :shakehead

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
BigE said:
When was the last time you saw contact between the officials and a player? This happens all the time and there's no way any knowledgeable person could make any sort of competent judgement from just one picture. The context is completely removed, and it's debateable as to what, if any, sort of contact there was.

Anyone remember Cujo in the playoffs a few years back? After a goal was scored, he skated in protest to the ref, then tripped and took him out. Take out the context of the goal and just snap one picture of Cujo colliding with the ref and you've got exactly the same thing.

It's a little suspicious to me that this involves Nash, the best player in the tournament by a fair margin. If successful this would devastate Team Canada's chances (the team that's played and beat Sweden in the last two WHC Championships). It's also suspicious to me that nobody but the Swedes felt this was a big enough deal that it should be investigated by the IIHF.

Well, i know what i saw so no i wont "give it a rest".
Whats more suspicous to me is that Canadian media isnt showing any footage, it should be easy for them to dig it up..

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
BigE said:

There is nothing that can justify getting intentionally physical with the ref. If cujo tripped and fell, taking the ref out then that is unintentional. I'd like to see a video clip of this alleged Nash incident. If there is intent in it, then I say kick him out immediately.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
If the referee and linesman didn't file a complaint (they who would have recieved this abuse), then I don't see the issue. Players TOUCH the referee ALL the time (heck, Linesman intentionaly put themselves in the middle of scrums where they DO get hit sometimes). This idea that the referee is "untouchable" is new to me.

Obviously, if Nash took a swing at the linesman's head, that is something. But if Nash did in fact take a swing at the linesmans head, the linesman would have filed a report after the game. So the only conclusion I can reach is that this is nothing.

It would be nice to see the footage, TSN just has the picture. I am pretty sure TSN is using the standard pool footage, which didn't catch this incident at all.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Well, obviously since that one blurry, still image is so conclusive, we should all just hang Rick Nash. Is this the right bandwagon to jump on? Could an experienced bandwagon jumper let me know?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
As a Canadian...

1. If Rick Nash's hockey stick came into contact with an official (hooking the official), he deserves a suspension.

2. If Rick Nash pushed an official, he deserves a suspension.

The degree of the situation shouldn't matter. Any contact with an official other than accidental should be dealt with swiftly.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
slats432 said:
As a Canadian...

1. If Rick Nash's hockey stick came into contact with an official (hooking the official), he deserves a suspension.

2. If Rick Nash pushed an official, he deserves a suspension.

The degree of the situation shouldn't matter. Any contact with an official other than accidental should be dealt with swiftly.

Exactly..... and it should be done BY THE REF or OFFICIAL that was involved, not by some whiny coach whose sole purpose is to give his team an advantage.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Wisent said:
No, this pic is a misleading shot, he didn't ounch the Ref, he shoved him at the shoulder. As is stated earlier he should still be suspended at least one game.

I think one game is suitable. He didn't try to hurt the refs, just get their attention by making physical contact (hook and then the shove on the linesman).

If it was the NHL he would be suspended more than one game though, I think.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Lionel Hutz said:
I know, Its just appalling that people could disagree. BTW, are you still going on the ref's facial expression in that blurry photo, or has something else added to your conviction?

No kidding. It seems like people who are saying the incident was "brutal" merely based on that blurry picture are really quick to make that judgement. I am no way condoning any actions that Rick Nash committed, as there may have been a "tug" on a referee. But the talk that the incident was "brutal" based on that picture is quite laughable. If it was so brutal, why didn't the referee discuss it in the report.

That said, I have noticed some absolutely brutal incidents from this year's tournament. I haven't seen these plays, I just saw the pictures and was appaled at the level of violence. Here are the pictures, and what I think the suspension should be:

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/XVIE107050912_lower.jpg
Absoultely terrible. Should be a few games at least for this Kazak, who has decided to perform a leg drop on a vulnerable Alex Kovalev. Kovalev was in no position to defend himself, and his head could have been decapitated. I suggest 3 games to discourage future incidents..

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/DV116050815_lower.jpg

What an absolutely deplorable act on Eric Cole. The Swedish player is smashing him into the boards, and will certainly crush his legs. This action should be punished swiftly.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/DV108050811_lower.jpg

Regehr. What a goon. Look at that attack, and the expression on his face. Get this punk out of the game.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/AKCF101050716_lower.jpg

Absolute terror. Wake up IIHF. Wake the f**k up!

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/DV113050717_lower.jpg

Absolutely malicious. How hockey can condone such violence is beyond me. Both of these players have to be suspended and thrown out of the game for this "brutal" act.

Okay, maybe I went a little overboard, but I'm just amazed that some people are making conclusions about that blurry picture.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Tricolore#20 said:
No kidding. It seems like people who are saying the incident was "brutal" merely based on that blurry picture are really quick to make that judgement. I am no way condoning any actions that Rick Nash committed, as there may have been a "tug" on a referee. But the talk that the incident was "brutal" based on that picture is quite laughable. If it was so brutal, why didn't the referee discuss it in the report.

That said, I have noticed some absolutely brutal incidents from this year's tournament. I haven't seen these plays, I just saw the pictures and was appaled at the level of violence. Here are the pictures, and what I think the suspension should be:

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/XVIE107050912_lower.jpg
Absoultely terrible. Should be a few games at least for this Kazak, who has decided to perform a leg drop on a vulnerable Alex Kovalev. Kovalev was in no position to defend himself, and his head could have been decapitated. I suggest 3 games to discourage future incidents..

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/DV116050815_lower.jpg

What an absolutely deplorable act on Eric Cole. The Swedish player is smashing him into the boards, and will certainly crush his legs. This action should be punished swiftly.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/DV108050811_lower.jpg

Regehr. What a goon. Look at that attack, and the expression on his face. Get this punk out of the game.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/AKCF101050716_lower.jpg

Absolute terror. Wake up IIHF. Wake the f**k up!

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/DV113050717_lower.jpg

Absolutely malicious. How hockey can condone such violence is beyond me. Both of these players have to be suspended and thrown out of the game for this "brutal" act.

Okay, maybe I went a little overboard, but I'm just amazed that some people are making conclusions about that blurry picture.

Yes, you went overbord. First of all, we're talking about a ref here and not players. Second, I haven't seen too many people use words like 'brutal', most just want to see the tape and then decide. Third, those who have seen it, seem to agree that there was some intentional physical contact.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
I would ban him for the tourney for one simple reason... the IIHF wants to clean up the sport, and it's not like he attacked another player who knows the risks... Nash attacked a ref. The result is inconsequential to the intent. He was mad, so he hooked on the ref, tried to club him, and then shoved him. A ref does not sign on to be punched. Whether you connect is not up for talk.

If a ref is untouchable, then he should be gone from the tourney. It's his fault. Imagine if he did connect? :eek:

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Boucicaut said:
Yes, you went overbord. First of all, we're talking about a ref here and not players. Second, I haven't seen too many people use words like 'brutal', most just want to see the tape and then decide. Third, those who have seen it, seem to agree that there was some intentional physical contact.

I was responding specifically to those who said the acts were "brutal" a few pages back, merely trying to question whether you can actually call an act terrible from a photograph taken out of context.

Anyone have that famous picture of JP Parise and Joseph Kompella?

If Nash's actions were as extreme as the picture suggests, the incidents were similar. Albeit a different time, does anyone know what punishment Parise got? I'm not making the Parise incident the standard, since it happened 33 years ago. I am merely seeking what type of reaction it got.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Egil said:
If the referee and linesman didn't file a complaint (they who would have recieved this abuse), then I don't see the issue. Players TOUCH the referee ALL the time (heck, Linesman intentionaly put themselves in the middle of scrums where they DO get hit sometimes). This idea that the referee is "untouchable" is new to me.

That is new to you??? Youve never played hockey have you? Do the players go around hooking the ref to get there attention? If a linemans gets punched in the face for trying to break up a fight 99% of the time that player DOES get suspended because he didnt stop fighting when the linesmans got in the middle.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Freudian said:
I think one game is suitable. He didn't try to hurt the refs, just get their attention by making physical contact (hook and then the shove on the linesman).

If it was the NHL he would be suspended more than one game though, I think.
One seems a little low. I mean, even though there was absolutely no intention to harm the ref, a ref is untouchable. That is IMO the most important rule in a sport there is. In other sports, for example soccer, people get matchpenalties for just yelling at the ref. He has to have the respect of a player at all times, especially in a contact sport like hockey.

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Tricolore#20 said:

Your missing the point COMPLETELY. The point is he made CONTACT with a referee, it doesn't matter if he Punched him in the face or gave him a hook...you DO NOT touch an on ice official intentionally. He should get 2 games, 1 for the hook on the ref and 1 for shoving the linemans off him.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Wisent said:
Right, I didn't mean at least, that somehow slipped in. It's the WC so missing one game is a great deal for his team, plus, there was no intention to hurt.

If the IIHF doesn't take action this type of crap will happen all the time..player wants to get the refs attention will think.. "hmm Nash got away with it with nothing, I guess its alright for me to hook the ref to get his attention because he missed something" :shakehead

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Your missing the point COMPLETELY. The point is he made CONTACT with a referee, it doesn't matter if he Punched him in the face or gave him a hook...you DO NOT touch an on ice official intentionally. He should get 2 games, 1 for the hook on the ref and 1 for shoving the linemans off him.

I get that point. What are you talking about? You obviously don't get mine. I've known since the game ended (in the GDT thread it was mentioned) that Nash had hooked a referee. I am no way condoning it, and feel that he does deserve a suspension. I wouldn't shed a tear if he got the whole tournament. Touching an official is sacrilegious.

I am only criticizing people for jumping to conclusions simply by looking at the picture. Some people looked at that picture, and thought immediately that Nash was "intending" to strike the referee. That's the impression that it gives. It was taken out of context, and that picture itself is not able to tell you the act was brutal. I gave examples to show how anything can be interpreted differently if taken out of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad