Nash and the Ref?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
wassup77 said:
Hehe, I know. That didn't sound very good. But hey! there is a reason why Nash didn't get suspended (because he shouldn't).

If Nash whould have used violence it whould have been another story. :rant:

The only reason why he isn't suspended is because the ref didn't file a complaint. If that isn't done no suspension can be given.

As for why this ref (unlike 95% of refs) chose not to file a complaint is anyones guess.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
psycho_dad said:
Canada always gets away with this stuff, because they are the leading hockey country and have way more power in the cabinets. But the fact is, like everyone has told you in this thread already, that in any normal circumstance that would have been a suspension. Nash was just too important for Canada to lose, and they let it slide. Thats a fact. Everyone knows you just CAN'T hook a referee twice intentionally and get away with it by the rules...the rules simply state that it's a big time offense.
:teach:

I just read in a Swedish newspaper that they have reported the incident to IIHF and want him to be suspended. This is embarrassing. Do they really want Canadas best player by far to be suspended???
How can they be happy to beat them without their biggest star?
I thought you whould want the opponents to be as good as possible :dunno:
sigh...I guess you guys are right. But its still very sad if we will not be able to see Nash anymore in this tournament.

mytor4*

look if you guys were all smart you would just put wassup 77 on your ignore list and you wouldn't have to deal with his _________ responses

Macman

May 15, 2004
Are we still talking about an incident nobody on this side of the pond has seen or is writing about? If it was such a big deal it would be shown ad nauseum like the Bertuzzi and McSorely hits and others like it. Obviously much ado about nothing and more wishful thinking on the part of some than reality.

It makes me laugh that some people are calling for Nash's head over a supposed hook on a referee while Perezhogin is allowed to play in Europe, and would be playing at the worlds if not for an injury, and nobody says a damn thing.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Macman said:
Are we still talking about an incident nobody on this side of the pond has seen or is writing about? If it was such a big deal it would be shown ad nauseum like the Bertuzzi and McSorely hits and others like it. Obviously much ado about nothing and more wishful thinking on the part of some than reality.

It makes me laugh that some people are calling for Nash's head over a supposed hook on a referee while Perezhogin is allowed to play in Europe, and would be playing at the worlds if not for an injury, and nobody says a damn thing.

Completely different incidents. And Perezhogin was punished, no? I don't want Rick Nash to be suspended from the next NHL season or anything like that, I just feel he should get a reminder right now, a few games for touching the ref. It would serve him well later in his career if he was put in his place right now. It's obviously not clear to him yet, that the ref is untouchable....giving him the wrong signal now could easily lead to something way more severe later on. Every player should know that refs are not to be touched...I dont care how big stars or prospects they are. They are still under the same rules.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I think it would serve as a good lesson to the whole team Canada that they are not above the rules, no matter how bad the refereeing is here.

And that Canadian Press article about the game was disgraceful, how dare the 'journalist' complain about Finland getting away with stuff when in reality Finland got the short end of the stick in almost every call.

Macman

May 15, 2004
psycho_dad said:
Completely different incidents. And Perezhogin was punished, no? I don't want Rick Nash to be suspended from the next NHL season or anything like that, I just feel he should get a reminder right now, a few games for touching the ref. It would serve him well later in his career if he was put in his place right now. It's obviously not clear to him yet, that the ref is untouchable....giving him the wrong signal now could easily lead to something way more severe later on. Every player should know that refs are not to be touched...I dont care how big stars or prospects they are. They are still under the same rules.

No, Perezhogin wasn't punished because the IIHF and the Russian league didn't honour his suspension in North America. He was free to come to Europe and continue his career despite clubbing a guy in the face with his stick. And you want Nash suspended for, in your own words, `touching' a ref?

You're right, they sure are completely different incidents.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Macman said:
No, Perezhogin wasn't punished because the IIHF and the Russian league didn't honour his suspension in North America. He was free to come to Europe and continue his career despite clubbing a guy in the face with his stick. And you want Nash suspended for, in your own words, `touching' a ref?

You're right, they sure are completely different incidents.

Perezhogin was suspended immediately, and could not continue that season anymore, correct? I am not saying "Ban Nash from the NHL and hockey everywhere" but I am saying that he should get suspended for some world championships games where he performed his blatant disregard of rules.

Are you absolutely certain that you want to let a player go totally free after showing no respect to the basic rules of the game?

Maybe someone, sometime in Perezhogins career thought in similar ways too, and let him go unpunished for some careless slashing at some point...and he took a lesson from that.

Macman

May 15, 2004
psycho_dad said:
Perezhogin was suspended immediately, and could not continue that season anymore, correct? I am not saying "Ban Nash from the NHL and hockey everywhere" but I am saying that he should get suspended for some world championships games where he performed his blatant disregard of rules.

Are you absolutely certain that you want to let a player go totally free after showing no respect to the basic rules of the game?

Maybe someone, sometime in Perezhogins career thought in similar ways too, and let him go unpunished for some careless slashing at some point...and he took a lesson from that.

First off, players show no respect for the basic rules of the game in every game. They trip, hook, slash, fight, all kinds of thing. Again, I haven't seen the incident, so I probably shouldn't comment. But the fact he wasn't penalized, suspended and it wasn't even shown or written about in North America, where the media pounces on every little thing, makes me think this is more a pipe dream from people who would love to see Canada lose its best player than a serious incident worthy of suspension.

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
No video of "the incident" can be found but i have a small pic here, this is just after Nash has hooked the ref (twice), the linesman is pulling him away and Nash is about to hit him.

Since the ref Vjatjeslav Bulanov didn´t file a complaint and neither the supervising ref. The swedish leadership got game footage from Viasat/TV3 (swedish broadcaster) and handed it over to IIHF.

sources: (swedish)

http://expressen.se/index.jsp?a=281684
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/story/0,2789,642456,00.html

Last edited:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Looking at that pic (Expressen), Nash should be suspended for the rest of the tournament, that's brutal.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Pepper said:
Looking at that pic (Expressen), Nash should be suspended for the rest of the tournament, that's brutal.

Wow, I agree. I didn't think it was that bad, im shocked the officials from the Tournament have not handed him a suspension....good job making an example that this type of garbage is not allowed in the tournament/hockey.

2 thumbs down toward the tournament officials. (not the refs, whoever is in charge behind the curtain) :thumbd: :thumbd: .

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Wow, I agree. I didn't think it was that bad, im shocked the officials from the Tournament have not handed him a suspension....good job making an example that this type of garbage is not allowed in the tournament/hockey.

2 thumbs down toward the tournament officials. (not the refs, whoever is in charge behind the curtain) :thumbd: :thumbd: .
No, this pic is a misleading shot, he didn't ounch the Ref, he shoved him at the shoulder. As is stated earlier he should still be suspended at least one game.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Wisent said:
No, this pic is a misleading shot, he didn't ounch the Ref, he shoved him at the shoulder. As is stated earlier he should still be suspended at least one game.

You are absolutely right, that pic looks worse than it was with the linesman. But for the idiotic, childish hooking of the ref he should get a few games suspension. He needs to learn to respect at least some fundamentals of the game, like "ref is untouchable" etc. His outburst seemed like one of those spoiled brats who did not get what they wanted...but in this case they would have physically attacked the parent for it.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
From the looks of it (just seeing the blurry images), Nash should be banned from International competition for LIFE AND NHL competition for at least half a season.

If Bertuzzi's suspension is upheld by IIHF, then the NHL should uphold IIHF suspensions...

Just Brutal ....

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp;jsessionid=KAMAICDMIKIA?content=20050509_085810_3584

Nothing was done....though on Wednesday they might review it at there meeting. Just dont understand..if this happened in the NHL he would be sitting a few games.

From the looks of it, they were hoping it went away if nobody raised a finger, but props to this swede who is doing the right thing. Just because they did not receive a report about the incident does not mean it did not happen. I for one saw it, and really hope Nash gets his fingers slapped hard for that. Literally.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
I would suggest that Swedish hockey interests might be better served if Swedish team management looked for on-ice ways to shut down Rick Nash. If Sweden makes it to the finals, they will likely have to get past Canada.
Focussing on an incident in a game that Sweden was not involved in takes the team's focus off of where it should be...performing on-ice. The games that count are coming up.

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
Steveorama said:
I would suggest that Swedish hockey interests might be better served if Swedish team management looked for on-ice ways to shut down Rick Nash. If Sweden makes it to the finals, they will likely have to get past Canada.
Focussing on an incident in a game that Sweden was not involved in takes the team's focus off of where it should be...performing on-ice. The games that count are coming up.
The swedish management is only doing the right thing. They let it slip the the Canadian coach had messed up the roster, but attacking the ref, you cant just let it slip just because its "convenient". Had it been a player from a "2nd-rate" country or probably any country but Canada you could be certain that it had been on TSN`s frontpage..

And besides it isnt the swedish coach running around, and i doubt the swedish players give a ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad