Online Series: Narcos

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I had a feeling the 3rd season would be about Amado Carillo Fuentes.

I hope so. Probably my favourite character of season 2 - of course, we already saw him a bit in the Cali season of Narcos.

Speaking of, I've actually been rewatching the Cali season these past few days and to me it's quite obvious how much better that season was than Narcos Mexico 2 (or even 1)
That first episode especially is so fantastic, it might rank at or near the top of best episodes in the entire Narcos 'universe' so far

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I hope so. Probably my favourite character of season 2 - of course, we already saw him a bit in the Cali season of Narcos.

Speaking of, I've actually been rewatching the Cali season these past few days and to me it's quite obvious how much better that season was than Narcos Mexico 2 (or even 1)
That first episode especially is so fantastic, it might rank at or near the top of best episodes in the entire Narcos 'universe' so far

Yea Ive been meaning to re-watch the Cali season, they really explain a lot and the character are great

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Entertaining, as always. I struggled a little bit with this season though. The big point I’m wrestling with is Felix. I think it’s a great performance by Diego Luna, but the way the character is written, he rarely seems like the guy everyone says he is — the godfather, the jefe of jefes, etc. Sure he brings everyone together and creates the organization, but save a few moments here and there, he’s actually getting pushed around and screwed over by others through a lot of the season. He is more of a cog in the machine than the one pulling the levers. It really only takes until the last 20 minutes or so of the finale for him to seem like the mastermind the rest of the cast keeps saying he is. So I guess this was just a drawn out origin story in a sense? I love me some Don Neto. The scene with him and Rafa listening to Culture Club while high on coke is one of my favorite things I’ve seen this year.

Apologies if this has been mentioned here, but if you enjoy Narcos, you’d also probably like the books Power of the Dog and The Cartel by Don Winslow, which are fiction but some of the characters have obvious real life analogs and the stories cover the same time and places and some of the real life events.

Bumping this past post of mine to also plug The Border, the third book in Winslow's trilogy. Was reading that alongside watching the latest Narcos season. As I mentioned above, though Winslow's books are "fiction" a lot of the events are real and many of the characters have fictional versions of them. In fact the scene with the bridge (if you've finished this season) is in one of the Winslow books too. Just one of many examples. So if you need a fix in between seasons, check out this trilogy.

As for this season of Narcos, I dug it. Oddly reminded me of Game of Thrones with all the scheming and backstabbing.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Finished the season last night and enjoyed it like all the others. Looking forward to the next one.

I had a feeling the 3rd season would be about Amado Carillo Fuentes. I had read about him a while ago and learned he became the top dawg when Felix went down, at his peak his net worth was 20-25 BILLION. For reference, Chapo's is estimated at 14 billion.

I don't think they will delve too much into Chapo and his rise as Netflix already has a series for that. of course he will be involved but from the late 80s to his death in the late 90s, Carillo Fuentes was number one and the king of kings if you will.

I think after all the pizzaz of season 1 they wanted 2 to be a build up for season 3. Sort of lay the ground work while also getting Felix out of the story and building the connection between Cali and Mexico.

Yup, Carillo Fuentes was a big drug lord. And I agree about Felix. They had to tell his story to get to this point.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Went down a wikipedia rabbit hole reading about all the drug lords in the series. It's interesting how Netflix has twisted some of the true storylines to make the show a little more interesting.

The 2nd season started off really slow but I enjoyed it overall. It would be awesome to see a Pena and Breslin working together at some point

Reactions: Voight

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
The actor who portrays Pacho does a f***ing magnificent job. Pacho, Amado, and the man in my avatar are my 3 favorite characters in the show. The way the CIA used deception on Felix, again, was beautiful imo.

Reactions: montreal and Tuggy

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
The actor who portrays Pacho does a f***ing magnificent job. Pacho, Amado, and the man in my avatar are my 3 favorite characters in the show.

I loved every Pacho/Amado scene in the Cali season, even though there weren't that many. Really hope Narcos Mexico S3 will have them both again.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I loved every Pacho/Amado scene in the Cali season, even though there weren't that many. Really hope Narcos Mexico S3 will have them both again.

There's a mutual respect between the two that in the world of narco-trafficking doesn't seem to really exist. In the Cali season Pacho fled for Mexico with Amado's protection. Pretty big deal in retrospect.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Finished season 3 last night.

I enjoyed it overall but some of the side plots got a little too much screen time for me.

It's too bad it's the last season.

Narcos, as a whole, is up there as one of my favorite Netflix series.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Just finished it also. Didn't know the series was ending now. Seems like an odd time. Chapo is the most famous Mexican narco and things were just starting to get good with him. Mexico hasn't been as good as Colombia but it was still good tv.

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Just finished it also. Didn't know the series was ending now. Seems like an odd time. Chapo is the most famous Mexican narco and things were just starting to get good with him. Mexico hasn't been as good as Colombia but it was still good tv.

Creator said 3 seasons is what he wanted to do.

I know there is already a Netflix series on Chapo, but wouldn't shock me if there was another spinoff for this Chapo character like Narcos: El Chapo or something like that.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Late to the party but it really felt like the last season was setting the story up for final season with Chapo. I'm kind of disappointed that it ended here. It was a great season nonetheless just like all of Narcos. 2nd season of Mexico was probably the weakest. Curiously I personally started watching Narcos with 1st season of Mexico as I had heard it was a good show. Little did I know that my friends were actually talking about the 3 first seasons that were about Escobar. Anyway, ended up backtracking from there and watched them all during the past 3 years.

I spent a lot of time on Wikipedia reading up about these drug lords as the seasons progressed. Last night when I finished the 3rd season of Mexico I went back to catch up on what exactly had happened to Rafa. I had forgotten already. I vaguely remembered that he was still hiding somewhere and running some cartel from the last time I read about him maybe 2-3 years ago. It felt like quite the coincidence that my google search showed reports only minutes old of the news that he has finally been caught by Mexican authorities.

Anyway, great entertainment and can recommend to anyone who hasn't watched Narcos yet.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Late to the party but it really felt like the last season was setting the story up for final season with Chapo. I'm kind of disappointed that it ended here. It was a great season nonetheless just like all of Narcos. 2nd season of Mexico was probably the weakest. Curiously I personally started watching Narcos with 1st season of Mexico as I had heard it was a good show. Little did I know that my friends were actually talking about the 3 first seasons that were about Escobar. Anyway, ended up backtracking from there and watched them all during the past 3 years.

I spent a lot of time on Wikipedia reading up about these drug lords as the seasons progressed. Last night when I finished the 3rd season of Mexico I went back to catch up on what exactly had happened to Rafa. I had forgotten already. I vaguely remembered that he was still hiding somewhere and running some cartel from the last time I read about him maybe 2-3 years ago. It felt like quite the coincidence that my google search showed reports only minutes old of the news that he has finally been caught by Mexican authorities.

Anyway, great entertainment and can recommend to anyone who hasn't watched Narcos yet.

Think, and im not close to an expert, that they forgo doing Chapo because of the lack of US involvement compared to the Escobar and Cali. Obviously its gonna be centered around local government but US characters are important for the audience

Reactions: Frosted Tips

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad