Brad Stuart
Jiri Fischer
Tom Poti
Chris Pronger
Ed Jovanovski
Scott Niedermayer
Joni Pitkanen

Trevor Daley (Dark horse)

:handclap: Nice list...good to see Daley get some love from someone other than me

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
Markov is already top 20 in the league and he's got!!

unlimited potential waiting to pan out, combine two togather and you've got undisputed wild card to become best NO 1 all star in the hockey, might just be the Blake type Diamond in the rogue found by montreal!!

MotownMadman

Oct 6, 2003
degroat said:
LOL.. some laughable lists... and that's an understatement. Chara #1? Redden and Chara #1 and #2? LOL

If we're assuming Pronger stays healthy, there's no question he's #1.

I think that Pronger's over-rated. He hasn't improved in the last few years and hasn't shown the ability to step up consistently in the playoffs. I agree it's likely that barring injuries he'll still be a top d-man, but I think that in 5 years Jackman may be the big man in St. Louis.

But (much) more over-rated is Skoula. How can someone who will never be higher than #4 on his team be a #1 in the league? Sure he's got great puck poise :) , but he's definitely no top 10.

On the other hand, Chara looked sweet against Jersey in the EC Finals last year. He seems to be progressing nicely and will definitely be in the top ten in 5 years. His buddy Volchenkov may be in there too among people who like big open ice hits.

One name I've only seen mentioned once is Jiri Fisher. He may be a Wing but this is no homer pick (if it was I would be mentioning Dandy's marvelous finishing skills). Fisher has displayed a great deal of ability so far in both the regular season and playoffs. He still needs to show consistency over the long run but he looks great so far.

Other notables...Ohlund (nuff said), Boynton (has looked pretty good in Boston), Morris (hasn't been as outstanding in Colorado but may grow next to Foote and Blake), and I have to give a vote to Hamhuis in his first few games he's living up to the hype from scouting reports.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Habs4ever said:
unlimited potential waiting to pan out, combine two togather and you've got undisputed wild card to become best NO 1 all star in the hockey, might just be the Blake type Diamond in the rogue found by montreal!!
:lol: You keep telling yourself that.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Phaneuf looks tremendously good at age 18. I think he has the upside to crack such a list if he keeps developing.

I don't know that Leopold would make top 10 but what I do know is that a lot of you out there don't realize how good this kid will be. Flames #1 d-man in ice time so far this season with 23+ mins. Sutter trusts him for a lot more than just offense.

Vote for most ridiculous suggestion that I noticed goes to Skoula, he does not have a chance at coming anywhere near the top 10 in the league IMO.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
MotownMadman said:
I think that Pronger's over-rated. He hasn't improved in the last few years and hasn't shown the ability to step up consistently in the playoffs. I agree it's likely that barring injuries he'll still be a top d-man, but I think that in 5 years Jackman may be the big man in St. Louis.

What can Pronger do to improve when he's been healthy? He's the only guy in the league at present time who can even compete with Lidstrom as the best d-man in the league. I don't think you can really say that Pronger is overrated, he does everything for St. Louis. Jackman will be a good d-man, but no way will he ever replace Pronger.

pepchew

Jul 12, 2003
Visit site
Patty Ice XXX said:
Has Stuart's injuries affected people's choices that much...a year ago he was considered a future Norris winner. It seems though since his concussion and now shoulder injury (not to mention an ankle injury that he was playin on in the 01-02 season), he has fallen outta people's minds or do you see him as too injury-proned now?

I just finished scanning through the previous postings and if you hadn't have brought him up I most certainly would have. He was being considered for Canada's Olympic team a few years back but injuries (surprise) prevented him from being given a chance. If he can stay relatively healthy for a few seasons he'll be top 10 for sure in 5 years. Judging by the last couple of years though, that's a big IF.

Dr.Strangelove91

Nov 27, 2002
Tricolore world
Visit site
1. Chris Pronger
2. Ed Jovanovski
3. Wade Redden
4. Jay Bouwmeester
5. Scott Niedermayer
6. Mattias Ohlund
7. Rotislav Klesla
8. Tomas Kaberle
9. Andrei Markov
10. Joni Pitkanen

Other candidates: Jeff Jillson, Jordan Leopold, Barret Jackman, Zdeno Chara, Sergei Gonchar, Eric Brewer, Cam Ward :).

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
I cant believe so many people underestimate Barrett Jackman. But like usual many HF poster rate Dman on how many points they get. In 5 year Jackman is gonna be a top 5 Dman in this leauge. Problem is he'll just be a tough, stay at home Dman.

habdicted

Jul 16, 2003
north bay, ON
Wendel Clark Jr. said:
Are you serious? Did you watch the playoffs last year? Nieds is as close as you come to being a complete dman with the exception of Lidstrom IMO.

I second this, on a more offensive team this guy would have won a couple of norris trophy's so far. It's always a pleasure when I get to see him play!

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
habdicted said:
I second this, on a more offensive team this guy would have won a couple of norris trophy's so far. It's always a pleasure when I get to see him play!

He's very good no doubt abou that, but the Devils are not holding him back from being a great offensive defenseman. His insticts are defense first, and that isn't just from playing with the Devils.

MotownMadman

Oct 6, 2003
flyers guy said:
What can Pronger do to improve when he's been healthy?

Stop taking bad penalties for a start. That's the big problem St Louis as a team has in the playoffs. Perhaps I'm also judging him as a captain and that can be unfair.

flyers guy said:
He's the only guy in the league at present time who can even compete with Lidstrom as the best d-man in the league.

There's a guy on the Avs by the name of Foote who does a decent job. I've also heard of a fellow named Stephens, I think in New Jersey...

Doc_M

It's true that Pronger takes bad penalties, but besides that, there isn't much to complain about. Let's wait until the end of this year to see if he's back and healthy, but last night he was +2, 3 assists ( that pass to Cajanek was something ! ) and 31 minutes of icetime, which was more than Brent Johnson and only 6 minutes less than Tommy Salo, who by the way were the starting goalies !

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
When will all of you realize that Lidstrom will be long gone to Sweden in 5 years?

Anyways:

1-Pronger
2-Jovanovski
3-Redden
4-Bouwmeester
5-Ohlund
6-Chara
7-Brewer
8-Morris
9-Gonchar
10-Pitkanen

MotownMadman

Oct 6, 2003
Doc_M said:
It's true that Pronger takes bad penalties, but besides that, there isn't much to complain about.

Consistently stepping up your game in the playoffs. That's where guys like Stevens, Foote and Lidstrom have him beat. He did a good job with the team in 2000 I think it was and they went far, but, again that's where players really show what they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->