Name one player (retired) You wish you had seen play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
I was so young when he played and can't remember much but growing up he was one of my favorites. Don't even remember if he was a great player or not.

Gary Unger STL-#7

Bobby Orr is right up there as well.

Hab-a-maniac

Sep 28, 2003
Toronto via Calgary!
Visit site
Uh, Kurri went to Europe for 1990-91 but he returned the next year to play for the Kings and he stayed with them until 1995 then he was on the Blues for a short time, then the Rangers, then the Mighty Ducks, then the Avs when he retired in 1998.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
I got to see Gretzky (live) with the Kings, Blues, and Rangers, but would have liked to have seen him with the Oilers. Other than that, Orr, Howe, Bossey, and a Brian Trottier in his prime.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Eddie Shore...

I've seen them all since the mid 60's...My dad and I always argue over the top 3 Bruins D men..

Orr is a given..

I go with Bourque second.. I never saw Shore. My dad saw all 3....

He says it's

Orr
Shore
Bourque

And as a diehard Bruins fan..he says Rocket Richard was a sight to behold .
That's saying something from my Dad.
:D

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
Bobby Orr

Always heard how great this guy was, but he was before my time. never saw him play.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Bobby Orr for sure as well as Lafleur. But one guy that people forget mainly because of lack of exposure is Glibert Perreault. He played on some good Sabres teams and was such a fluid smooth skater. The French Connection Line would have been fun to see then.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Bobby Orr, I just missed him, I started watching in the late 70's/early 80's.

Tretiak is a great pick too, I wouldn't have thought of him but I would have liked to see what the hype was all about.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Bobby Orr and the Rocket are obviously on everyones lists, but I wish I could have seen Ken Dryden play. He was just so dominating and yet just made it look so easy. A lot has been said about those Habs teams of the 70's, with their fire power, and great defence. I think that as good as Dryden was, maybe people don't give him enough credit. Maybe being on the Canadiens made him better, but the Canadiens having him back there, no doubt made them better.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Puckhead said:
Bobby Orr and the Rocket are obviously on everyones lists, but I wish I could have seen Ken Dryden play. He was just so dominating and yet just made it look so easy. A lot has been said about those Habs teams of the 70's, with their fire power, and great defence. I think that as good as Dryden was, maybe people don't give him enough credit. Maybe being on the Canadiens made him better, but the Canadiens having him back there, no doubt made them better.

The thing I remember most about Dryden was his stance when there was a break in the action. He looked like a medieval soldier in plated armour guarding the fortress. from the cover of The Game.

He's one of my all time favorites, 8 years in the league, 6 cups. There was a quiet confidence about him that I believe inspired his teammates.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
LIVE, I'd love to have been able to see "The Rocket", Maurice Richard. The most electrifying player of his time, if the stories are true.

I've seen Gretzky and Orr and Lafleur dozens of times on TV, but never in person for some reason. All of them would be included in a list like that.

Glenn Hall-to see the man who invented the "butterfly" style re-introduced by Patty Roy in the 90's.

Terry Sawchuk-to see the greatest goalie ever in person, not on newsreel footage.

Saw Bobby Hull with the Jets, and he was still amazing. To have seen him in the early 1960's would be incredible.

And the "hated" Soviets of the 1970's. For more than 5 or 6 games. They played the game the right way: speed, skating, passing, stickhandling. Too bad they didn't have much passion.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Psycho Joe said:
Tony Esposito played the butterfly as well. Roy started his career just one full season after Espo retired in 1984.

Tony didn't play ANY style! He just kept the puck out of the net (for the most part!) pretty well, considering. :joker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad