Value of: Nail Yakopov

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
I'd say still developing, but almost done with his development. A decent bottom 6 forward is his ceiling, in my opinion. I actually wouldn't mind it if the Jets signed him for forward depth.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
I'd say still developing, but almost done with his development. A decent bottom 6 forward is his ceiling, in my opinion. I actually wouldn't mind it if the Jets signed him for forward depth.
IMO, I also think that the Jets should resign Paul Stastny to keep some veteran presence on the team.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
Doubt he'll get a qualifying offer from Colorado so he's up for grabs. He looked servicable playing alongside a good center who can do the thinking for him, like Matt Duchene. But since the trade he was in and out of the line-up.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Sens bound?

I highly doubt the AVs offer another deal. Yakupov played well with Duchene and seemed to have fallen off after he was traded. Duchene seems to have difficulties finding appropriate linemates. He connected well with Hoffman, but with the personal issues not sure if he'll be returning. I assume he'll be either suspended or traded, this creates a cheap (Melynk speak) option.

Yakupov needs a pivot that works well with him and given his career is spiralling to bust levels, this could be a good place for him as well.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
From what I saw at his time in STL, he is lacking the IQ skills that you just can't teach, especially given his exposure already to the NHL. Reminds me of an old dog I had who I tried to teach catching a frisbee. The heart was there to do it, but every time he'd be late grabbing it and get hit in the head. Try as he might, he was just too slow in reaction. Same with Nail. He just looked like his brain was too slow for his body speed and the NHL game speed. Sad, but it happens. Probably try his wares in the KHL.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Or i was Sakic i offer a 2 way contract ( with a very good condition in ahl $$$) may be he can take more confidence in himself 1 year . If he don't want no problem go back To russia.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
KHL

Or some team will give him a shot and that teams fans will fill up the board with posts about what a great high reward gamble they've made.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn't mind giving Yakupov a try-out and adding him to the revolving door of young RWs we'll likely try with Hall and Hischier.

Those two would absolutely "do the thinking" for him.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
to me KHL...
if he can be slotted on the wing of a decent line for a bottom team, he could be a 20/20 type of guy with poor defensive skills

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Useful player who desperately needs a defensively responsible playmaking centre. Has good foot speed, good shot, tons of heart, but he's dumb as a rock as far as hockey goes. I'd take him back on Edmonton, I'm sure Draisaitl could find him every now and then.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Probably KHL. He just doesn't understand how to play the game at NHL level and have so many bad habits he refused to fix. Who the hell carries the puck up ice with one hand on his stick?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I wouldn't mind the Leafs taking a 1 year offer at around 1.5 million on him with th3 understanding he is going to the AHL for the year to learn the defensive side of the game/ work on his pk ability.

If he becomes passable in his own end he could be another Kapanen.

Ton of speed, good shot, who can be a 3rd line winger with Kapanen on the other side. Counter punch line

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
In the NHL, I think a bottom team could take a flyer on him and try to pump his value by giving him every opportunity and trade him for a 2nd or 3rd.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Value? A slightly used hockey puck?

In all seriousness, I think he will be fine in the KHL, more than fine, if he doesn't get one more life line to the NHL.

Has he ever played with a Russian linemate? Maybe Capitals could give him some money and a go.
Ovie could teach him a thing or two, maybe.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
From what I saw at his time in STL, he is lacking the IQ skills that you just can't teach, especially given his exposure already to the NHL. Reminds me of an old dog I had who I tried to teach catching a frisbee. The heart was there to do it, but every time he'd be late grabbing it and get hit in the head. Try as he might, he was just too slow in reaction. Same with Nail. He just looked like his brain was too slow for his body speed and the NHL game speed. Sad, but it happens. Probably try his wares in the KHL.

That analogy is spot on.

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Used to say "I'd try him with the Habs" but not anymore... he has shown one more time this season that he has zero hockey IQ and it's too important in today's NHL. KHL bound IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad