NAHL 2016-2017 Thread

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
With the release of the 2016-2017 schedule today, I thought it might be a good time to start a thread for the next season. Thanks to all of you who contributed to last season's thread! All of you provided some great discussion and insights around the league and I hope that even more people will join us this year.

New Teams:

team-266.png

Northeast Generals - Attleboro, MA - East Division

team-265.png

Shreveport Mudbugs - Shreveport, LA - South Division

*The rumored Eau Claire expansion seems to have been pushed back a year

Season Schedule:

Sept. 9th, 2016 - April 9th, 2017
http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=18295

Divisional Alignment:

Central Division (6): Aberdeen Wings, Austin Bruins, Bismarck Bobcats, Brookings Blizzard, Minnesota Wilderness, Minot Minotauros.

East Division (5): Aston Rebels, Johnstown Tomahawks, New Jersey Titans, Northeast Generals, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights.

Midwest Division (6): Coulee Region Chill, Fairbanks Ice Dogs, Janesville Jets, Kenai River Brown Bears, Minnesota Magicians, Springfield Jr. Blues

South Division (7): Amarillo Bulls, Corpus Christi IceRays, Lone Star Brahmas, Odessa Jackalopes, Shreveport Mudbugs, Topeka RoadRunners, Wichita Falls Wildcats.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Some fairly big news from a press conference in Johnstown this morning: the Tomahawks have signed a big lease extension. Three more years, with three year option. Looks like the recently renovated War Memorial in Hockeyville will continue to anchor the league's East Division!

The Johnstown Tomahawks are here to stay.

The Tomahawks have recently reached an agreement with the Cambria County War Memorial Arena that would keep the Tomahawks in Johnstown through the 2021-22 hockey season. The agreement includes a three-year contract between the team and arena, with an option for a three-year extension.

“The Tomahawks ownership, the War Memorial’s Board of Authority and SMG have been actively working on a new deal for over a year in order to reach the best possible and mutually beneficial agreement that would secure the financial viability of both parties for years to come,†War Memorial Arena General Manager Steve St. John said. “It’s time to put this contract behind us and put all the hard work into play. Having the team committed to the community for up to six more years is a milestone for all involved, including the Tomahawks fans, the city of Johnstown and the region overall.â€

“The Tomahawks organization has been committed to Johnstown, the War Memorial Arena and its fans since day one. We are proud to be partners with the Cambria County War Memorial Arena and call Johnstown our home,†Team President Richard Bouchard said. “We are excited and humbled to be a part of this community and continue to play a part of its rich hockey history for many years to come.â€

Full press release: http://johnstowntomahawks.pointstreaksites.com/view/johnstowntomahawks/press-box-11/news/news_456129

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
If anyone is interested the New Jersey Titans is broadcasting their main tryout camp on Periscope. It's also open to the public and free of charge for those of you near Middletown

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
December is here and we have the NAHL's first coaching casualty of the season. And I'm sure no one had picked this one in the pool.

Say goodbye to Witchita Falls Wildcats' head coach Tony Curtale. The decision is now permanent following his team-imposed suspension a few weeks ago.

Details:
Curtale, the NAHL’s most successful head coach, was suspended after an off-ice incident in which he was publicly critical of players praying on the ice after the Nov. 12 game. After the suspension, Curtale told the Times Record News the reason for his words were because he wanted everyone on the team to feel comfortable, regardless of their religious preferences.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/story/sports/2016/12/01/wildcats-part-ways-coach/94759228/

Bizarre, even by NAHL standards. Can't imagine he'll remain unemployed for too long, given his credentials and the leagues revolving door of bench bosses the past few seasons.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Awesome news from the Johnstown Tomahawks, as they'll be sending two players to the World Junior Championship.

15621830_1249625341763645_4122539843003985634_n.jpg

Will be great to see some NAHL reps on the international stage and on NHL Network as well.

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Northeast is DOOKIE!

I believe northeast is so bad because they took a strange approach to building the roster. I attended the try out camp and many of the top players there were offered NA3HL spots meanwhile the team of tenders who ended up making the team lost most of the scrimmage games and appeared outmatched skill wise. One goalie was told "you have the skill to be a strong starting goalie in this league but you won't do it here." Another player was told the same thing as a defenseman. Some rumors say players bribed their way onto the team but I don't think that would happen at this level anymore.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I believe northeast is so bad because they took a strange approach to building the roster. I attended the try out camp and many of the top players there were offered NA3HL spots meanwhile the team of tenders who ended up making the team lost most of the scrimmage games and appeared outmatched skill wise. One goalie was told "you have the skill to be a strong starting goalie in this league but you won't do it here." Another player was told the same thing as a defenseman. Some rumors say players bribed their way onto the team but I don't think that would happen at this level anymore.

So, they deliberately made a bad team?

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
That's really bizarre to hear about NE. I had sort of chalked up their dismal season to being an expansion team struggling to make the leap from Tier III to Tier II, but perhaps there is more to it than that. If indeed they allowed better players to walk, I wonder what their end game was? What was in it for the team?

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Any news on expansion for next year.

Nothing solid yet. NAHL expansion/relocation rumors don't really pick up much momentum until pretty late into the spring with official announcements often coming during playoffs or in the offseason.

Then of course we can speculate. One place I would look to is Eau Claire, WI. They appeared to be a lock for expansion for this season but seemed to get tripped up at the last minute. We'll see if it pans out for next season. Then there's the eastward movement. Lewiston, ME has been rumored for the past few years now.

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Nothing solid yet. NAHL expansion/relocation rumors don't really pick up much momentum until pretty late into the spring with official announcements often coming during playoffs or in the offseason.

Then of course we can speculate. One place I would look to is Eau Claire, WI. They appeared to be a lock for expansion for this season but seemed to get tripped up at the last minute. We'll see if it pans out for next season. Then there's the eastward movement. Lewiston, ME has been rumored for the past few years now.

The Maine Wild and Lewiston/Auburn were rumored to be jumping up to the NAHL to round out the east division however neither team can to fruition. Both could bump up next year however I doubt L/A could draw the crowds big enough to keep it going. Many die hard fans but at the home opener they drew about 350 people contrary to the reported near 700 and the next day maybe 200. The Aviators were also going to make the move but that was shot down and they became the Sharks. Skylands tried to make the move over the summer as well however the price tag, operating fees, and arena upgrades scared the investors away. Lots of interest but nothing comes to fruition.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Saw on Junior Hockey Forum where they are saying that New Jersey might not return next year. Anyone else hear about this?

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Saw on Junior Hockey Forum where they are saying that New Jersey might not return next year. Anyone else hear about this?

It's the same thing the plagues half the league, attendance and sponsors do not pay the bills. A quick look at the Titans attendance figures game by game I'll give them a rough estimate of 400 a game. 28 home games once you remove the showcase. At the high end they charge $10/person. So 400*28*10=$112,000. I cannot find any information on sponsors so I will not include them in this. Let's say they hold 3 try out camps with 120 players paying $300 to attend. After paying ice fees they have about $100,000. Now you have about $212,000 in known revenue.

Now the titans have to fly 2 round trips (Alaska and Minnesota). Going with just a skeleton crew so to speak it would cost $22,000 (expedia search) for the round trip flights bringing just 20 players and 2 coaches by the cheapest flights I see. Now looking at hotels let's say they get decent deals and every hotel is $90/room/night. They need a hotel for roughly 23 nights and at least 8 rooms for players and coaches and another for the bus driver. 90*23*8=$18,630. Now buses are a little harder as they go by day and mileage. For argument's sake just say $2,000/day. They need to have a bus for 32 days (not including the week in Alaska with no games on weekdays). 32*2,000=$64,000. League fees in the NAHL come out to approximately $30,000 a year. Just there you have $134,630 in expenses. Head coaches make at the low end $30,000-$40,000 a year. Assistants get $15,000 a year at the low end and most teams have at least 2 (sometimes a 3rd as a goalie coach). Each player gets 6 sticks a year I believe. 25 players, 6 sticks each, $200/stick. 25*6*200=$30,000. All told~$224,630 in known expenses not including other gear, gym time, trainers, ice time, scouts, and post game meals.

It would be a shame to see the Titans leave the league, they are a classy organization and coach Craig Doremus is rumored to have sold his EHL franchise to the Long Island Royals. He is a great coach and most likely won't be out of work for long.

***Disclaimer***
Numbers are rough estimates learned from personal experience and trusted references.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
With the release of the Central Scouting’s 2017 Final Rankings for the upcoming NHL draft, 7 NAHL ties have come up; 6 current, and 1 recent alumni.

Skaters
#131-Sam Huff, forward, Minot Minotauros
#158-Keaton Pehrson, defenseman, Austin Bruins
#159-Benton Maass, defenseman, Fairbanks Ice Dogs
#188-Hunter Lellig, defenseman, Minnesota Magicians

Goalies
#14-Tomas Vomacka, goalie, Corpus Christi IceRays
#31-Ivan Prosvetov, goalie, Minnesota Magicians

Alumni
#183-Zach Solow, forward, Dubuque (USHL) (Janesville Jets, 2015-16)

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
The NAHL Playoffs are set. Should be some exciting series in the first round. Each will be a five game series.

East Division
Aston vs Wilkes-Barre
Johnstown vs New Jersey

Midwest Division
Coulee Region vs Janesville
Fairbanks vs MN Magicians

South Division
Corpus Christi vs Shreveport
Lone Star vs Wichita Falls

Central Division
Aberdeen vs Minot
Brookings vs MN Wilderness

My predictions:

Aston in 3
Johnstown in 4

Fairbanks in 4
Janesville in 3

Corpus Christi in 5
Lone Star in 3

Minot in 4
Brookings in 5

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
If you had the Springfield Blues as the next team to replace their coach, come claim your prize. Tony Zasowki has "stepped down" after a long history with the organization. He was also their GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->