NAHL 2015-2016 Thread

Bcoll

Apr 13, 2015
the MA team is going to play in southern MA on the RI border, I believe they were waiting to approve them and see what rink they would be playing out of and in that area they are building a brand new rink

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
It seems that the smallness of the East division this season has had a predictable consequence: some serious rivalry between its teams.

Johnstown and Aston has really started to become a heated match up, with a lot of grit and fan involvement. With the two teams jockeying for playoff positions and plenty of matchups to go, it could get really explosive.

Here's a great run down of this new rivalry from a Tomahawks perspective:
http://www.thetomablog.com/2016/02/johnstown-aston-rivalry-gets-heated-and.html

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Attleboro????

I'm hearing Canton. And also another team in either Maryland or Pitt entering the east. I'm hoping Maryland.

It seems that the smallness of the East division this season has had a predictable consequence: some serious rivalry between its teams.

Johnstown and Aston has really started to become a heated match up, with a lot of grit and fan involvement. With the two teams jockeying for playoff positions and plenty of matchups to go, it could get really explosive.

Here's a great run down of this new rivalry from a Tomahawks perspective:
http://www.thetomablog.com/2016/02/johnstown-aston-rivalry-gets-heated-and.html

Aston and NJ also play each other another 5 or 6 times to close out the year. That'll make things interesting as they are battling for first in the East. But at the end of the day all East teams are making the playoffs so it doesn't make much of a difference.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
I'm hearing Canton. And also another team in either Maryland or Pitt entering the east. I'm hoping Maryland.

Pitt as in Pittsburgh, Pa? Interesting if so! There's quite a few rinks around the city that would have sufficient seating capacity, including the Penguins new practice facility in the suburb of Cranberry which has actually hosted some USHL events. As for Maryland, I'm not sure of any rinks that could host the NAHL, but could be a nice addition.

Aston and NJ also play each other another 5 or 6 times to close out the year. That'll make things interesting as they are battling for first in the East. But at the end of the day all East teams are making the playoffs so it doesn't make much of a difference.

True, but with the top three fighting for the two home ice advantage spots, there's still quite a bit on the line. If new teams are indeed entering the East next season, they'll be walking into a battlefield in progress.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Titans backup Spencer Wright just committed to Michigan State. He got a lot of time due to the injury to Wisconsin commit Jack Berry.

capswon

May 7, 2012
great league

Just found this thread after being away from the HF Boards for a while. I can tell you that the NA is one very good league. My son played in the NA, then went to the BCHL and is coming back to the NA. He said that the NA, other than the USHL is the one league that would prepare him the most for college hockey. From a parent standpoint it will be nice to watch his games at a normal hour and get to bed before 1am. Of course my wife said to watch them a day later on fasthockey which i thought was just blasphemous ;)

cmh329

Nov 14, 2015
East division becoming a little clearer for the playoffs. Wilkes Barre will be the 4th seed, Johnstown will be the 3rd seed. Aston and Jersey tied on 70 points battling out for 1st and face each other for a home and home series the final weekend. Should be a good finish the final 2 weeks.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Johnstown continues to be an AVERAGE team. They had an opportunity to move up in the standings and then lose over the weekend (identical scores 3-2) to Aston. They need to get rid of their coach - they have never had a tried and tested junior hockey coach. Until they fork over some cash and try to find a better coach, this is what the fans in Johnstown can expect to see.
The attendance has continued to drop since they joined the NAHL and will not get better unless they put a better product on ice.

Sal

Nov 1, 2011
100% agree about the Johnstown coach. I have season tickets for the Tomahawks and sometimes you would swear that this team has never even held a practice. Not blaming the players, they seem to be a talented bunch. If this guy is back next season as coach, I won't be.

cmh329

Nov 14, 2015
Good to hear. Now they just need another team to even it out schedule wise.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Not a fan of the Johnstown coach either. Aston has a good staff as well as NJ. Johnstown has some very good players too, but they seem so unorganized and play the same system as my beer league team, which is none. It's a shame because they have one of the best facilities and fan bases in the league.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
I think GM Rick Boyd was a major factor in getting the team to Johnstown. That being said his son played with them the first year and a former Chiefs was their coach. To me they should have had the coach from Alaska come with the team since he knew the players, but this is Johnstown they don't think that way (look at their City Council).
They get rid of Spence, then bring in a local guy from the Somerset, PA area who was an asst. coach. They love to do things on the cheap. He did not have a lot of experience, if any in coaching junior hockey.
The arena is old, but looks great and with the city winning Hockeyville USA you think they would have tried to put a better team on the ice. Their years in the NAHL average at best. You need to win at home and their home record speaks for itself. Average.

I have been a hockey fan from the Jets era and suffered through a lot of "bad" local teams. When I was back in the States went to a few of the Tomahawks games and something was missing. Not the hockey I was used to and don't think I could become a supporter.

If the USHL ever makes a push to come East, Johnstown should try to move up a notch. But with the ownership in place, don't think that would ever happen.

sonnytheman89

Mar 24, 2016
The Tomahawks head coach is not a local product. He is in fact from the Chicago area. I will agree that maybe he is not yet ready for a HC job at this level but he does have a good feel for the game. I can see him being a HC. I just don't think it will be in Johnstown.

I hope Johnstown never moves up to the USHL. I do not think the fan base will be in favor of the USHL and the makeup of the teams. Don't care for what is essentially Midget hockey on steroids (very young teams). The NA is a good fit for what we are used to seeing in Johnstown. I do not want the USHL. They just need to get the right coaching staff in place.

From a player perspective, JT it is a great place to play. Arguably the best place to play in the NA. The hockey operations are first class and the players are treated well. I know talking to many players that they echo those same sentiments.

NEGenerals

Mar 30, 2015
Boston, MA
MA - NAHL Franchise

APRIL 1, 2016

The North American Hockey League (NAHL) has announced that its Board of Governors has approved the activation of the Northeast Generals membership, who will begin play during the 2016-17 season as a part of the NAHL’s East Division.

The East Division made its debut in the NAHL during the 2015-16 season with the Aston Rebels (Aston, PA), Johnstown Tomahawks (Johnstown, PA), New Jersey Titans (Middletown, NJ) and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights (Pittston, PA), who will all return in the addition to the Generals for the 2016-17 season.

The Generals organization is led by Richard O'Dowd (Director of Operations), Bryan Erikson (Head Coach/General Manager) and Robert Penfield (Managing Director). This past season, the Generals had a junior team in the Tier III NA3EHL, which will also continue in addition to the NAHL team in 2016-17 with a NA3HL team as part of the NA3HL/NA3EHL merger.

"This is an exciting day for hockey on the East Coast,†said NAHL Commissioner and President Mark Frankenfeld. “Boston, Massachusetts and the surrounding areas are rich in hockey tradition and talented hockey players that want to play in the NAHL. An NAHL team in Attleboro is a win for the NAHL, a win for the NAHL East Division, and most importantly a win for the players that will not have to move far from home to play NAHL Hockey. With the large number of NCAA teams and scouts in the region, it will be a nice addition to the wonderful exposure we already get as a league and likely help us add to the record number of NCAA commitments.â€

The Generals will play out of the New England Sports Village located in North Attleboro, Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston. The New England Sports Village is a 53 million dollar project that contains two NHL-sized rinks and a studio rink in the initial phase. The Village includes a 150-room hotel, a 50-meter pool, an indoor turf field house and two outdoor turf fields. In addition to playing home games at the New England Sports Village the Generals will play a select number of games at the Walter Brown Arena (home to Boston University) and Mathews Arena (home to Northeastern University).

Head coach and general manager, Bryan Erikson, will continue lead the Generals on the ice. Erikson has over 19 years of coaching experience. Erikson was selected as one of coaches that lead the NA3EHL Top Prospects team this past season. In addition, the Generals coaching staff will include Mike Tenney as associate head coach (joining the Generals from the Maine Wild and has over 10 years of coaching experience) and Steve Mastalerz as goalie coach from GDS goaltending (former standout goalie at UMass-Amherst).

“We are extremely excited to be joining the NAHL. Our first year as part of the NA3EHL was outstanding and we think by adding a team in the NAHL the Generals will become a destination organization. The NAHL provides a level of hockey that hasn't been seen in the area. This is a great opportunity for both the Generals and New England hockey. We can't wait to get started,†stated Erikson.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Any idea who the head coach will be?
From today's NAHL press release: "Head coach and general manager, Bryan Erikson, will continue lead the Generals on the ice. Erikson has over 19 years of coaching experience. Erikson was selected as one of coaches that lead the NA3EHL Top Prospects team this past season. In addition, the Generals coaching staff will include Mike Tenney as associate head coach (joining the Generals from the Maine Wild and has over 10 years of coaching experience) and Steve Mastalerz as goalie coach from GDS goaltending (former standout goalie at UMass-Amherst)."

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
The Tomahawks head coach is not a local product. He is in fact from the Chicago area. I will agree that maybe he is not yet ready for a HC job at this level but he does have a good feel for the game. I can see him being a HC. I just don't think it will be in Johnstown.

I hope Johnstown never moves up to the USHL. I do not think the fan base will be in favor of the USHL and the makeup of the teams. Don't care for what is essentially Midget hockey on steroids (very young teams). The NA is a good fit for what we are used to seeing in Johnstown. I do not want the USHL. They just need to get the right coaching staff in place.

From a player perspective, JT it is a great place to play. Arguably the best place to play in the NA. The hockey operations are first class and the players are treated well. I know talking to many players that they echo those same sentiments.

I think the Tomahawks' biggest mistake was not getting the Keystone Ice Miners' coach when they went dormant. Seemed to really have the NAHL game figured out, and the team snagged a bunch of his players in the offseason anyway.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Lewiston, Maine is liking that. I think Lewiston has an NAHL team for 16-17

The rumor was that they'd be in last year but decided to wait for closer travel partners. This certainly looks promising for them to take another crack at jumping from Tier 3.

cmh329

Nov 14, 2015
I talked to someone at USA Hockey who was at the Aston-Johnstown game two weeks ago. He had mentioned the Lewiston team would be a "final hour" decision as he put it, maybe not until mid May.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
I talked to someone at USA Hockey who was at the Aston-Johnstown game two weeks ago. He had mentioned the Lewiston team would be a "final hour" decision as he put it, maybe not until mid May.

That sounds pretty plausible. Last year they seemed to be a "final hour" decision as well, ultimately deciding to wait another year. Not sure if Attleboro will be enough for them to make the jump, so perhaps they're waiting on a few more possibilities in the Northeast to come to fruition. It'll be wait and see for us fans, but if we see more green lights around New England it'll be a reasonable conclusion.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Far, far away from Maine, the NAHL confirmed Shreveport, LA as an expansion market today. This was made apparent months ago and even discussed in our thread here, but the league just confirmed it today.

The Mudbugs will begin play in the South Division next season, which will add a good market to an already strong division. No coach named yet.

One interesting note is that the press release is ambiguous as to whether it is an expansion franchise or a relocation. Last year we saw the reactivation of a long dormant franchise to build the east division. They call the Mudbugs simply an 'activation'.

http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=17822

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad