Nabokov pulls out

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I thought it was posted earlier, but I was wrong.

So after all, Nabokov informed team Russia that he won't be taking part in the World Cup. His leg hasn't healed completely, which means the Russians will have to start one of their actual 3 goaltenders in the quarterfinals.

Will it be Sokolov? Bryzgalov? Fomitchev? :dunno:

ErnestoGuevara

Jan 22, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
wilka91 said:
I thought it was posted earlier, but I was wrong.

So after all, Nabokov informed team Russia that he won't be taking part in the World Cup. His leg hasn't healed completely, which means the Russians will have to start one of their actual 3 goaltenders in the quarterfinals.

Will it be Sokolov? Bryzgalov? Fomitchev? :dunno:

I expect Bryzgalov to get most starts.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
1. Tretyak was very clear about the starters and said that smaller ice experience is needed. That's why Bryzgalov could be a starter.
2. Bryzgalov isn't in shape so that's why we can expect Sokolov.

Anyway, I'm very sorry about Nabokov although he haven't played for, I don't know, two months(?), so having him as a starter would be very risky!

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
I would really like to see Bryzgalov play, I think he could shine if was given the opportunity. Besides, it has been shown before that european goalies with none experience from the smaller rinks have a lot of trouble. There are very few goalies from Europe that step right into the NHL (can only think about finn Jussi Markkanen and Anaheim's Martin Gerber in recent years).

BTW, Wilka, who do you see as the next russian NHL goalie?

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Robertsson 4-ever said:
I would really like to see Bryzgalov play, I think he could shine if was given the opportunity. Besides, it has been shown before that european goalies with none experience from the smaller rinks have a lot of trouble. There are very few goalies from Europe that step right into the NHL (can only think about finn Jussi Markkanen and Anaheim's Martin Gerber in recent years).

BTW, Wilka, who do you see as the next russian NHL goalie?

To be honest I don't know any young Russian prospects. :dunno:

Probably Bryzgalov ...

But Khabby and Nabokov are still pretty young, 30 and 28 if I recall. But since there are no goaltending schools in Russia, finding a great goalie will be problematic IMO.

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
What about Andrei Medvedev? The guy who won Gold with Ovechkin a couple years ago in the World Juniors...

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
TML said:
What about Andrei Medvedev? The guy who won Gold with Ovechkin a couple years ago in the World Juniors...

Might be hard to reach him. McDonalds has an unpublished number.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
ranold26 said:
Might be hard to reach him. McDonalds has an unpublished number.
That was pretty immature. I think it displays how good a player he is that he can still sustain a high quality play with that overweight. And he's still getting better from what I hear, losing weight adds another element to his game. And as far as I know he plays in the second league in russia so there'd be quite a few goalies ahead of him in depth for team Russia.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
mattihp said:
That was pretty immature. I think it displays how good a player he is that he can still sustain a high quality play with that overweight. And he's still getting better from what I hear, losing weight adds another element to his game. And as far as I know he plays in the second league in russia so there'd be quite a few goalies ahead of him in depth for team Russia.

Immature... No, Sarcastic truth...yes.
His play hasn't progressed all that great. His overall rankings with the Calgary org have also dropped. :p:

Last edited:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Dan Galvin said:
Had Nabokov been traveling and practicing with the team? Does anyone know?

No he was in North America all the time, but not with the team.

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003
Sokolov...? Did his Russian league team let him go? He wasn't supposed to be in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad