OT: My Trip to Vancouver

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Thought I’d break up the early season miserableness with some pics of my trip to Vancouver.

First off – the city might be the most expensive city I’ve ever been to. After speaking to many locals, seems that the pay isn’t in line with the cost of living and many people pay 50% or more of their monthly for housing. Ridiculous. Alcohol is super expensive – a glass of wine can be $15. Bottle of Don Julio? $80. Cannabis is cheap.. more on that later…

So I got in local time 2pm, thanks to my early flight out of LGA at 6am. Caught their little shuttle from the airport to downtown and within a short walk, I was at my hotel – Sheraton Wall Center. Nice place.

East coast games are at 4pm – which is very weird – and was able to catch the Isles opener in Columbus (and most of their 5-0 defeat) at a bar called Score on Davie. Great food (pic) and great hockey peeps. Met someone from TSN, Karen Surman. She was super cool and we talked hockey a bit with some other folks.

1%2020171006_164519_zpsos22sdwx.jpg

Next day was the game where I had a small challenge finding the damn arena, as the huge dome you see in the Vancouver skyline is actually for their football team – so once I figured that out,,, I got to the right place & it was just a couple of sneaky turns to get into their suite level. Crazy Canadians are so nice, they didn’t even throw me out when I finally got busted – I just excused myself down to gen-pop level so as not to create an international incident. I was discreetly disguised so as not to attract attention. J
Real nice arena --- fantastically symmetrical and they had bars to help people from falling in the steep upper deck. How about that? Even nice message, telling people not to lean. Yet another arena which does things correctly. #f***Barclays

2%2020171007_183557_zpsfviigfmt.jpg

4%2020171007_192359_zpsnhf2lmmv.jpg

Had a GREAT hockey shooting machine on the concourse where they would spit out passes from the side and you’d shoot for the light in one of the 4 corners. Probably did it 4-5 times – Good stuff! ( I did NOT add to the black marks on the side)

4%2020171007_192359_zpsnhf2lmmv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
5%2020171007_195152_zpse4f0zqye.jpg

Rest of the trip was exploring the city – didn’t make the trip to Whistler – checked out all the neighborhoods.. Like any big city, significant homeless problem –but that didn’t take away from the beauty of the city and the mountains to the north.
Wild Candied Salmon Strips. Nothing else needs to be said. (Granville Market via water taxi)

7.%2020171008_131816_zps0fekwmev.jpg

6%2020171008_112655_zpse0vex2re.jpg

So while Cannabis will be legal in Canada next year,, technically it’s not yet. You’d never know it though. Some places sell merchandise and smoking apparatus. Some places sell product (some require Rx, others require to be 19 or older) and yet a third type of place allows you to BYOW and enjoy it. All types of fun is available and I def smuggled some back to the US. Easy peasy.

9%2020171007_112506_zpsgogtep6k.jpg

The sushi from Miku was simply the best I’ve ever had. Hands down, nothing close, Spike the ball. Done.
I’ve heard that the bud and sushi/seafood from the Pacific NW was phenomenal, and now I’ll confirm it.

12%2020171009_184657_zpsdrethtdw.jpg

Course, everything ran smoothly on the return trip until I get to US soil.. customs in Toronto Airport – complete shitshow --- delays and almost missed my flight to NY.

Next years trip? Boston!

Reactions: YesCubed

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
So while Cannabis will be legal in Canada next year,, technically it’s not yet. You’d never know it though. Some places sell merchandise and smoking apparatus. Some places sell product (some require Rx, others require to be 19 or older) and yet a third type of place allows you to BYOW and enjoy it. All types of fun is available and I def smuggled some back to the US. Easy peasy.

9%2020171007_112506_zpsgogtep6k.jpg

ElAncpZ.jpg

Reactions: Bones45

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->