My top 50 prospects

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Nah, just nah. Phaneuf has proved way much than Weber so far.

weber look a lot like phaneuf actually(style wise), sure phaneuf is at another level and probably had one of the best rookie season for a defenseman but weber is a monster, he shutdown crosby at the memorial cup and the best of his age at the u-20. he was a beast in the AHl and progressing very nicely with the predators at the end of the year and we all know that the progress of a defenseman is usually pretty long(see komisarek or markov for the habs).

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
my list will have only 85 born players or younger and top 50 skaters and top 15goalies. beacuse you cant really compare a goalie to a skater.

my list...

skaters.

1. evgeni malkin
2. erik kohnson
3. niklas backstrom
4. jack johnson
5. gilbert brule
6. phil kessel
7. cam barker
8. anze kopitar
9. patrick o'sullivan
10. jonathan toews
11. ryan getzlaf
12. jordan staal
13. rostislav olesz
14. bobby ryan
15. rob schremp
16. niklas bergfors
17. marc staal
18. benoit pouliot
19. corey perry
20. andrew ladd
21. shea weber
22. wojtek wolski
23. derick brassard
24. ladislav smid
25. perttu lindgren
26. alexander radulov
27. steve bernier
28. jack skille
29. roman voloshenko
30. michael frolik
31. petteri nokelainen
32. lauri tukonen
33. devin setoguchi
34. david bolland
35. luc bourdon
36. peter mueller
37. alexandre picard
38. bob sanguinetti
39. drew stafford
40. kyle okposo
41. ryan o'marra
42. brian lee
43. james sheppard
44. trevor lewis
45. ryan parent
46. kendall mcardle
47. lukas kaspar
48. travis zajac
49. mike green
50. t.j. oshie

goalies... 84 born and younger.

1.cam ward
2.semen varlamov
3.justin pogge
4.tuukka rask
5.cory schneider
6.hannu toivonen
7.jonathan bernier
8.carey price
9.jim howard
10.al montoya
11.marek schwarz
12.leland irving
13.ondrej pavelec
14.anton khudobin
15.david leveeu

hm:jacub kindl, alex bourret, marek zagrapan, steve downie, claude giroux, carl soderberg, martin hanzal, devan dubnyk, jhonas enroth, konstantin barulin, thomas greiss, jeff zatkoff

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
goalies... 84 born and younger.

1.cam ward
2.semen varlamov
3.justin pogge
4.tuukka rask
5.cory schneider
6.hannu toivonen
7.jonathan bernier
8.carey price
9.jim howard
10.al montoya
11.marek schwarz
12.leland irving
13.ondrej pavelec
14.anton khudobin
15.david leveeu

I won't talk about your forwards, because I'm not an expert on forwards (Well I'm no expert on goalies but still know them way much).

I completely disagree on your list.

1. Cam Ward - Can't disagree. A Stanley Cup ring prove me enough.

2. Semen Varlamov - I like his play, but you can't put him this high. He seem to be out of place at this position. I wouldn't even put him top-2 in this year draft.

3. Not a fan of Pogge, but his incredible season in the CHL prove me wrong. I would put some goalie like Rask and Price ahead in term of potential.

4. BIG fan of Tuukka Rask, from the games and videos I saw, he was absolutely brilliant. Very fast, quick reflexes and sound positionning. Maybe some as prove more, but Rask would be way higher on my list.

5. I'm not aware enough on Cory Schneider to write a good comment on him. Good stats on and good college, was brilliant this year form what I've read.

6. Toivonen his very athletic and show flash of brilliance with Boston this year. I would place him on my top-3.

7. Jonathan Bernier is so fast! I was impress with his play. As the potential to become a starting goaltender, but can't put him ahead of some that have prove, either in junior, AHL or NHL.

8. Price. Copy/paste what I said on Rask. Bad defense and team in front of him. Rask played against men though.

9. Howard.Played very well in every league he played. I think he prove to a lot of people that he can be a competent goaltender in the NHL.

10. Montoya Has burn the AHL, would have played in the NHL if it wasn't of Lundqvist.

11. Never saw him played, but from what I've read, he posses great size and he's very quick. Tough to beat low, justl ike 90% of butterfly goalies.

12. Leland Irving is a very good goaltender who as pass though a lot of difficulties in his life. A fierce competitor who payed greatly with the Everett Silvertips (played with Mueller and Fiala)

13. Ondrej Pavelec is VERY good. It wouldn't surprise me if he become the best goaltender of the 2005 draft. Big, fast, sound positionning and great flexibility. A project but if he can put it all together, he will become a very good goaltender in the NHL. Will not be rushed in the NHL, because he was picked by Atlanta (Kari Lehtonen)

14. Anton Khudobin ... who? property of the Minnesota Wild is the only thing I could say. Totally ignorant of his case.

15. Last but not least: David Leneveu. Had a slow start has a NHL goaltender, but will earned a starter role before the end of the year with Phoenix. Was born in 1983 though

MY LIST:

1.Cam Ward
2.Tuukka Rask
3.Hannu Toivonen
4.Josh Harding
5.Carey Price
6.Justin Pogge
7.Cory Schneider
8.Al Montoya
9.Jonathan Bernier
10.Jim Howard
11. Thomas Greiss
12.Ondrej Pavelec
13.Marek Schwarz
14.Devan Dubnyk
15.Leland Irving
16.Tyler Plante
17. Riku Helenius
18.Semen Varlamov
19.Jeff Glass
20.David Shantz

HM:Kevin Nastiuk, Jean Philippe-Levasseur, Jhonas Enroth, Julien Ellis-Plante

EDIT:

I would definitly also add Helenius and plug him in around 14th or 15th and take off one of the bottom 2.

I was in my bed last night I thought to myself .... RIKU! Forgot him! I add him :) But not so high on him.

Last edited:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
your list looked good. but the varlamov thing is that he is probably not the best goalie on that list right now but i have seen him play a couple of times and i think he has something special. but there are so many good goalies its pretty hard to make the list perfect.

khudobin plays for saskatoon in the whl and he played very well in the wjc looked just as good as the other goalies in the tournament.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
I won't talk about your forwards, because I'm not an expert on forwards (Well I'm no expert on goalies but still know them way much).

I completely disagree on your list.

1. Cam Ward - Can't disagree. A Stanley Cup ring prove me enough.

2. Semen Varlamov - I like his play, but you can't put him this high. He seem to be out of place at this position. I wouldn't even put him top-2 in this year draft.

3. Not a fan of Pogge, but his incredible season in the CHL prove me wrong. I would put some goalie like Rask and Price ahead in term of potential.

4. BIG fan of Tuukka Rask, from the games and videos I saw, he was absolutely brilliant. Very fast, quick reflexes and sound positionning. Maybe some as prove more, but Rask would be way higher on my list.

5. I'm not aware enough on Cory Schneider to write a good comment on him. Good stats on and good college, was brilliant this year form what I've read.

6. Toivonen his very athletic and show flash of brilliance with Boston this year. I would place him on my top-3.

7. Jonathan Bernier is so fast! I was impress with his play. As the potential to become a starting goaltender, but can't put him ahead of some that have prove, either in junior, AHL or NHL.

8. Price. Copy/paste what I said on Rask. Bad defense and team in front of him. Rask played against men though.

9. Howard.Played very well in every league he played. I think he prove to a lot of people that he can be a competent goaltender in the NHL.

10. Montoya Has burn the AHL, would have played in the NHL if it wasn't of Lundqvist.

11. Never saw him played, but from what I've read, he posses great size and he's very quick. Tough to beat low, justl ike 90% of butterfly goalies.

12. Leland Irving is a very good goaltender who as pass though a lot of difficulties in his life. A fierce competitor who payed greatly with the Everett Silvertips (played with Mueller and Fiala)

13. Ondrej Pavelec is VERY good. It wouldn't surprise me if he become the best goaltender of the 2005 draft. Big, fast, sound positionning and great flexibility. A project but if he can put it all together, he will become a very good goaltender in the NHL. Will not be rushed in the NHL, because he was picked by Atlanta (Kari Lehtonen)

14. Anton Khudobin ... who? property of the Minnesota Wild is the only thing I could say. Totally ignorant of his case.

15. Last but not least: David Leneveu. Had a slow start has a NHL goaltender, but will earned a starter role before the end of the year with Phoenix. Was born in 1983 though

MY LIST:

1.Cam Ward
2.Tuukka Rask
3.Hannu Toivonen
4.Josh Harding
5.Carey Price
6.Justin Pogge
7.Cory Schneider
8.Al Montoya
9.Jonathan Bernier
10.Jim Howard
11. Thomas Greiss
12.Ondrej Pavelec
13.Marek Schwarz
14.Devan Dubnyk
15.Leland Irving
16.Tyler Plante
17.Semen Varlamov
18.Jeff Glass
19.David Shantz
20.Julien Ellis-Plante

HM:Kevin Nastiuk, Jean Philippe-Levasseur, Jhonas Enroth.

Completely agree, much better list too. The only changes I would make is move Montoya up a couple spots and move Schneider down 1 or 2 spots. I would definitly also add Helenius and plug him in around 14th or 15th and take off one of the bottom 2.

iamcaper

I'd take Kostytsin over atleast 30 propspects on this list

edit: Pogge 14th:biglaugh:

This guy took the time to put a list of who he feels are the top prospects in hockey and all you can do is bash him? No offense but rather than bash, why not take time to show us your list?

I don't agree with a lot of the positions/players either but I applaud the guy for putting the effort into the list.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Well, they kind of did need a starting goalie. I'm guessing he's probably right, Boston probably wouldn't settle for any less than Rask/

they could have used belfour for another season he was better then raycroft. but everyone knows that raycroft can play. he showed that in hes rookie season. but if you ask me in a year my list might be completely different. but i dont think i will change my mind on varlamov. i think he will be one of the best goalies in the league in a feaw years

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
they could have used belfour for another season he was better then raycroft. but everyone knows that raycroft can play. he showed that in hes rookie season. but if you ask me in a year my list might be completely different. but i dont think i will change my mind on varlamov. i think he will be one of the best goalies in the league in a feaw years

They could have used Belfour, but I'd much rather have Raycroft. At his worst, Raycroft was only slightly worse than Belfour last year and he has much much more potential than Belfour.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
They could have used Belfour, but I'd much rather have Raycroft. At his worst, Raycroft was only slightly worse than Belfour last year and he has much much more potential than Belfour.

he ha's more potential for sure. but if rask is as good as you say. they would haw kept him i think. rask for raycroft is not very good trade anyway, but i think the maple leafs are going with pogge in a few years. raycroft is just a decent answer for now.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
I still don't understand why montoya is so disliked on these boards. He's more proven than the majority of the goalies that seem to get ranked ahead of him. The guy had one bad season and WJC and it's like no one even bothered to watch him in the AHL last year. We don't even know that some of those guys that some rank above him will make it in the AHL, to say nothing of being all stars in they're rookie year's.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Carey Price in any top 10 list is insane.

Simply insane.

What has he deserved to be ranked above most other goaltenders?

Nothing.

Carey Price shouldn't have been top ten in his own draft, let alone in the top 10 of all prospects.

But, to each his own. Some people see more in prospects than others. I've always been a Rask man. Tuuka Rask is (in my eyes) the best goaltending prospect around.

NeonDion

Jun 21, 2006
he ha's more potential for sure. but if rask is as good as you say. they would haw kept him i think. rask for raycroft is not very good trade anyway, but i think the maple leafs are going with pogge in a few years. raycroft is just a decent answer for now.

Rask has potential and is proving that he can play at a pro level right now, but there are still a lot of things that can happen to him (Injuries, decides to stay in Europe for a while, etc.).

Raycroft is a good goaltender Now, or at least he should be if he regains his Calder winning form.

This to me is similar to the O'Sullivan for Demitra trade. I think O'Sullivan would have panned out better long term than concussion prone Demitra for the Wild in the long term. However, I think Minny wanted Demitra to resign Gaborik and to try to make a bidg splash in the next two years sice every team in the NW has gotten a lot worse in the offseason except for Calgary.

If Raycroft turns out to play as well as say Gerber / Giguere (1B goaltender) they'll have done fairly well in this deal since they'll have gotten good young goaltending, something the leafs haven't had in ages. Rask is still likely 2 years away from coming to NA and the leafs can't wait that long. When he does come over though, Boston will have two of the best young goaltenders around.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Rask has potential and is proving that he can play at a pro level right now, but there are still a lot of things that can happen to him (Injuries, decides to stay in Europe for a while, etc.).

Raycroft is a good goaltender Now, or at least he should be if he regains his Calder winning form.

This to me is similar to the O'Sullivan for Demitra trade. I think O'Sullivan would have panned out better long term than concussion prone Demitra for the Wild in the long term. However, I think Minny wanted Demitra to resign Gaborik and to try to make a bidg splash in the next two years sice every team in the NW has gotten a lot worse in the offseason except for Calgary.

If Raycroft turns out to play as well as say Gerber / Giguere (1B goaltender) they'll have done fairly well in this deal since they'll have gotten good young goaltending, something the leafs haven't had in ages. Rask is still likely 2 years away from coming to NA and the leafs can't wait that long. When he does come over though, Boston will have two of the best young goaltenders around.

:clap: Very well said.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada

Was it so long ago that Raycroft won the calder trophy that you completely forget about how good he can be? Potential for Rask is great, Raycroft has the same potential and has already shown he can play.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
This guy took the time to put a list of who he feels are the top prospects in hockey and all you can do is bash him? No offense but rather than bash, why not take time to show us your list?

I don't agree with a lot of the positions/players either but I applaud the guy for putting the effort into the list.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

i don't know enough to start making a list, but Pogge in the top 15 is absurd, for one he's not better then Price or Rask, 2nd i wasn't laughing at the list, just the Pogge ranking

turnbuckle*

Pogge in top 15 prospects is absurd; Price being a top 10 goalie insane....blah, blah. blah. Who the hell knows...these lists and the resultant reactions really become tedious.

Five years ago Brian Finley was in many people's top five goalie prospect lists, he wouldn't be now. Same thing could happen to Price, then again it may not. Price did little to question his status as a top pick. Not being picked as an 18-year-old goalie is nothing...Pogge wasn't picked for Canada the year before...now some have him as a top 15 prospect.

For those that care, Price had a solid season with Tri-Cities after a tough start on a mediocre team. Let's say he gets traded to Vancouver as speculated, picks up more wins, lowers his GAA, plays on Canada's WJC and does well in the Memorial Cup on the national stage; all of a sudden he's a top prospect again in the eyes of fairweather armchair scouts.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
mine

1. Evengy Malkin – Pittsburgh
2. Erik Johnson – St. Louis
3. Jack Johnson – Carolina
4. Patrick O’Sullivan – Los Angeles
5. Alexander Radulov – Nashville
6. Anze Kopitar – Los Angeles
7. Hannu Toivonen – Boston