My top 30 for the 2006 draft:

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Comments:
This is not a mock draft this is my rankings of the 06 eligable prospects. Comments are welcome. I live in europe (sweden) most of the year, but I go to Canada a few times a year, I also have friends who go reguarly to WHL and OHL games and I watch live streams from the QMJHL. I watched the U18 live. My blind spot is the USHL/NCAA i can only go on reports here, so the players from these leagues are probably ranked to low.

1. Bäckström C Sweden
I think the top 3 palyers in this draft is pretty equal, Bäckström is first on my list since hes the guy I´ve seen the most. He has no real weakness is strong at both ends of the ice, good vision, didnt out of place in the WC. Dominated some of the games in SEL this year
2. Johnsson D USA
Every time ive seen him ive been impressed, big can skate, good offensive instincts, very good defensevly will probably be a no1 d-man in the NHL.
3. Kessel C USA
Fast, skilled, great shot. Unfairly critized i think he will be a star in NHL, probaby the best offensive upside in the draft.
4. Toews C Canada
I have not seen Toews much, mostly highlights and WJC. Has a great shot.
5. Brassard C Canada
Great playmaker nice speed, very nice hands.
6. Staal C Canada
So much upside, big can skate good defensevly and very very young. Could become the best player in this draft, butr for now hes 6th on my list
7. Tlusty W Czech
NIce speed, gritty good 2-way game and nice hands, what more do you want in a forward.
8. Little C Canada
His greatest attribute is that he scores, sometimes you dont see how he does it. Not great in any area but I think heel be a good one
9. Okposo W USA
PF evrybody is raving about him, ive never seen him myself but have gotten reports that he is this good.
10 Mueller C USA
i know hes low on my list, but every time I see him I get diisapointed, His only weakness are skating (which is not bad). I wish he was grittier and controlled the game more, but some people really like him, and hes got a great shot and is a fine playmaker so maybe I´ve just caught him on off days.
11 Sheppard C Canada
My favorite player in this draft, his weakness is his first step but otherwise hes just a great young player, mean skilled and good defensevly.
12 Stewart W Canada
So strong probably the stongest player in the draft, good PF potential, unstoppable when he goes to the net.
13 Swan W Canada
If hes injury free for sometime hell turn out great IMO, also an PF and aa favorite of mine, probably ranked to high, but i think he has firstline upside.
14 Berglund C Sweden
Big strong and a goalscorer. Has a nice upside.
15 Summers D USA
A mean guy who can really hit, versitaille (played C at U18)
16 Helenius G Finland
Best goalie in the draft, can steal games.
17 Wishart D Canada
A good shutdown D-man, wiuth great size wasnt too good a U18, but I really liked him in the WHL, his playing style fits better on the small rinks i think.
18 Frolik W Czech
HAs some great moves, strong in the body, but doesnt produce, has great upside a risky pick for whoever takes him but he could turn out to be one of the best players from this draft.
19 Strait D USA
Good defensive d-man.
20 Bernier G Canada
A good goalie, great potential this guy could be dynamite after som time with a good goalie coach
21 Persson D Sweden
Can skate is a good hitter and has nice offensive instincts potential no2 d-man in the NHL.
22 Giroux W Canada
High skill level seems to skate faster with the puck than without it, sometimes he reminds me of Brandon Reid though, but i think hell turn out OK.
23 Vishnevski D Russia
Best offensive D-man in the draft.
24 Sanguinetti D USA
Has great offensive instincts just as Vishnevski I think they are pretty equal.
25 Foligno C Canada
My kind of player mean sometimes dirty, but has a good skill level.
26 Anisimov C Russia
russian big center a poor mans Malkin
27 McGinn W Canada
A PF pays the price to score
28 Kana C Czech
Mature player with a god skill level
29 Joensuu W Finland
Great frame if he had more offensive potential he would be a top ten pick will be a NHL player though kind of a safepick with upside.
30 Vasyonov W Russia
Hes here on skill level only a russian sniper with great shot, no defense but i´f you teach him that he could become really good.

tell me what you think.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Nice work Askel. I like the fact that you were bold enough to put Backstrom first overall, and I think it's not unreasonable, even though Johnson is a great prospect.

Since you live in Sweden, can you tell me more about Berglund? From what I've heard he sounds like he ought to be ranked a little higher than most have him (though you've got him fairly high). I feel I must not be getting the whole picture. What are his weaknesses, for instance?

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Berglund sometimes seems a little shy and dont controll the game like a real good prospect does. Thats his weakness IMO, when hes on his game his big strong creative and has fine skating stride for a guy his size, If he pans out he could turn into a Sundin clone, but he is more likely to become a Modin like player.

Backlund is great has fast shifty with a great vision and doesnt shy away from traffic. Hes better than Bäckström was at the same age, but Bäckström really improved a lot this year.

Grabner is IMO not better than any of the prospects I have ranked over him but he is close he has nice speed and shot and all but there something about him I dont really like

Thanks for all nice comménts by the way.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Askel said:
1. Bäckström C Sweden
I think the top 3 palyers in this draft is pretty equal, Bäckström is first on my list since hes the guy I´ve seen the most. He has no real weakness is strong at both ends of the ice, good vision, didnt out of place in the WC. Dominated some of the games in SEL this year

His skating is only average and his shot is probably slightly below average

Askel said:
21 Persson D Sweden
Can skate is a good hitter and has nice offensive instincts potential no2 d-man in the NHL.

Nope. He barely had a single hit during the recent WJC tournament. If it is something he needs to improve, it is his physical game and to add some upper-body strength/muscles.

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Predatore said:
His skating is only average and his shot is probably slightly below average

Nope. He barely had a single hit during the recent WJC tournament. If it is something he needs to improve, it is his physical game and to add some upper-body strength/muscles.
I think Bäckström skating is underrated, hes doesnt have elite speed but he turn fast and his skating looks really effortless. His shot is accurate but yes he could use some more power in it.

Persson might not hit that hard, but he knows when to hit and has good timing ,I agree that he wasnt physical at all during the U18, but he looked better during J20 play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad