My Top 15 For 05...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
First off I must say I consider myself more of a 2006 draft guru, however I'll make a stab at the top 15 in 2005. I give La La Laprise credit for going top 60. In fact I cut and pasted his player info just to help out anyone who doesn't know off the top of their head.

My top 15 for 2005.

1. Sidney Crosby - C - 5'11 193 - Rimouski - QMJHL

2. Gilbert Brule - C - 5'10 177 - Vancouver - WHL

3. Jack Johnson - D - 6'01 201 - US NAT U18

4. Bobby Ryan - RW - 6'01 223 - Owen Sound - OHL

5. Devin Setoguchi - RW - 6'00 185 - Saskatoon - WHL

6. Benoit Pouliot - LW - 6'03 180 - Sudbury - OHL

7. Tukka Rask - G - 6'01 189 - Ilves

8. Marek Zagrapan - C - 6'01 198 - Chicoutimi - QMJHL

9. Alex Bourret - RW - 5'10 209 - Lewiston - QMJHL

10. Marc Staal - D - 6'04 196 - Sudbury - OHL

11. Jean-Phillipe Lavasseur - G - 6'01 189 - Rouyn-Noranda - QMJHL

12. Anze Kopitar - C - 6'02 202 - Spdertalje

13. Ryan Parent - D - 6'02 190 - Guelph - OHL

14. Niklas Bergfors - LW - 5'11 192 - Sodertalje.

15. Teemu Laakso - D - 6'00 187 - IFK

Fire away...I know many think Setogouchi is too high, but I've seen this kid play alot since he was in the AJHL and I like him alot. I've got Rask as the top goalie, and two in the top 15, but like most cases, goalies are drafted as needed. (Schwarz falling so far).

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
Unbiased Canadian said:
First off I must say I consider myself more of a 2006 draft guru, however I'll make a stab at the top 15 in 2005. I give La La Laprise credit for going top 60. In fact I cut and pasted his player info just to help out anyone who doesn't know off the top of their head.

My top 15 for 2005.

1. Sidney Crosby - C - 5'11 193 - Rimouski - QMJHL

2. Gilbert Brule - C - 5'10 177 - Vancouver - WHL

3. Jack Johnson - D - 6'01 201 - US NAT U18

4. Bobby Ryan - RW - 6'01 223 - Owen Sound - OHL

5. Devin Setoguchi - RW - 6'00 185 - Saskatoon - WHL

6. Benoit Pouliot - LW - 6'03 180 - Sudbury - OHL

7. Tukka Rask - G - 6'01 189 - Ilves

8. Marek Zagrapan - C - 6'01 198 - Chicoutimi - QMJHL

9. Alex Bourret - RW - 5'10 209 - Lewiston - QMJHL

10. Marc Staal - D - 6'04 196 - Sudbury - OHL

11. Jean-Phillipe Lavasseur - G - 6'01 189 - Rouyn-Noranda - QMJHL

12. Anze Kopitar - C - 6'02 202 - Spdertalje

13. Ryan Parent - D - 6'02 190 - Guelph - OHL

14. Niklas Bergfors - LW - 5'11 192 - Sodertalje.

15. Teemu Laakso - D - 6'00 187 - IFK

Fire away...I know many think Setogouchi is too high, but I've seen this kid play alot since he was in the AJHL and I like him alot. I've got Rask as the top goalie, and two in the top 15, but like most cases, goalies are drafted as needed. (Schwarz falling so far).

Clear you haven't seen Price and not near enough of Laakso if you have him this high. Played well at viking cup but come on.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
I'm thinking logic when it comes to keepers...I just don't see 3 going in the top 15..and you're right I haven't seen price that much, which is why I probably have him a little low.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
Unbiased Canadian said:
I'm thinking logic when it comes to keepers...I just don't see 3 going in the top 15..and you're right I haven't seen price that much, which is why I probably have him a little low.

I guess we should question your take on players then. Kinda like you do on others.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
Vinland said:
I guess we should question your take on players then. Kinda like you do on others.

I dont' think ANYONE on HFboards has seen all these players enough to give a solid top 20 or 30, so I don't see myself being different from anyone else. Everything is opinions man, this is mine.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
Vinland said:

And I'm not to sure If I question anyone's takes on players....sure I bicker about Crosby. But as far as everyone else goes, I really enjoy hearing that they think of everyone else available in the 05 draft.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
I like those projections a lot. I like Setoguchi a lot and he is my favorite prospect of '05 and I think 5th is an appropriate spot for him considering he is one of the safest picks of the entire draft. He has his gritty physical play to fall back on if his offensive potential doesn't pan out.

I don't think Marc Staal is too high considering he is the second best defenseman in the entire draft. Carey Price might sneak into the top 15 but seeing how recent top draft picks like Blackburn, Montoya, Leclaire and company flop, I don't think there will be more than 2 goalies in the top 15 considering this is one of the weakest years for goalies.

Setoguchi at #5 is a bit of a reach but I love this kid and he has fulfilled all my expections. Another assist tonight and he is a top scorer in the WHL with more goals than assists.

Your top 5 match my top 5 five for five.
I would have Crosby, Brule, Johnson, Ryan and Setoguchi in that order. Outside of the top five, my knowledge would be a bit murky though.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
This list is decent, although I disagree with a couple of your rankings. First of all, I like Setoguchi and came off very impressed with his performance at the CHL top prospect game, but I honestly don't think he is top 5 talent wise. My guess is as good as anyone, but I'm expecting him and Kenndal McArdle to go in the 10-15 range, because of the grit/goal-scoring ability package they bring. Bourret, a better prospect IMO, brings a similar package, but he's a better bodychecker and a much better playmaker, although he doesn't have the sniper potential Setoguchi possesses.

The second ranking I don't agree with is Marc Staal. Yes, his stock went up considerably after his solid performance last week and he's certainly among the 5 best blueliners for the upcoming draft because of his reliability in his own end... but if you're going to pick a stay-at-home type of guy at #4, it has to be Ryan Parent as far as I'm concerned. You just can't overlook the speed, strength, maturity, defensive steadiness and leadership he brings. Not saying Parent will be picked in front of Staal come draft time, just what I think is more likely to happen. In fact, if you're just going with talent, I don't think either of them would be in the top 10, let alone top 5.

Sticky*

Chipchura said:
This list is decent, although I disagree with a couple of your rankings. First of all, I like Setoguchi and came off very impressed with his performance at the CHL top prospect game, but I honestly don't think he is top 5 talent wise. My guess is as good as anyone, but I'm expecting him and Kenndal McArdle to go in the 10-15 range, because of the grit/goal-scoring ability package they bring. Bourret, a better prospect IMO, brings a similar package, but he's a better bodychecker and a much better playmaker, although he doesn't have the sniper potential Setoguchi possesses.

The second ranking I don't agree with is Marc Staal. Yes, his stock went up considerably after his solid performance last week and he's certainly among the 5 best blueliners for the upcoming draft because of his reliability in his own end... but if you're going to pick a stay-at-home type of guy at #4, it has to be Ryan Parent as far as I'm concerned. You just can't overlook the speed, strength, maturity, defensive steadiness and leadership he brings. Not saying Parent will be picked in front of Staal come draft time, just what I think is more likely to happen. In fact, if you're just going with talent, I don't think either of them would be in the top 10, let alone top 5.

The thing is. Parent and Staal are both safe. But i still think, much like i though earlier in the year, that Staal has some untapped offensive potential, along with being incredibly reliable in his own end. PLaying with his brothers on their outdoor rinks, all forwards, you'd think he would know a little something. lol.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
La-La-Laprise said:
Look pretty good. Latendresse should be there though. :) Although he isnt a lock anymore.

Ya LaLa , I definetly thought about having him in their but then I thought if one forward were to fall a bit, it might be him.

Either way it's all a crap shoot anyway.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
La-La-Laprise said:
Look pretty good. Latendresse should be there though. :) Although he isnt a lock anymore.
I predict he will not be picked in the 1st round .. and CSB does not like his game at all

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Messenger said:
I predict he will not be picked in the 1st round .. and CSB does not like his game at all

CSB also has Brule #6 :) They arent the ones going to be picking the players.

I will respect your opinion that Latendresse wont be a 1st rounder...but dont use CSB to back it up :)

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:

I will respect your opinion that Latendresse wont be a 1st rounder...but dont use CSB to back it up :)

Latendresse will not only be first round he will be top 10 possibly top5.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
La-La-Laprise said:

While I understand what you are saying .. but Central Scouting Bureau has been around for 50 year and are professionals and for the most part we are not..

The order they rank people in does not guarantee draft order since each team has preferences and makes it own decisions.

They have Brule at #6 very likely for size reason and he very likely may go higher in our opinion and his prospect game probably insured that, and I would guess he will be higher in the final rankings ..

But I also have learned over the years that they are right +/- 10 positions for each player and since goalies and Euro's are on different non-combined lists .. that anyone guess could be used to make a combined list .. They don't combine for a reason .. because the apple to oranges comparisons of the style of games ..

They are often never too far wrong even if we don't like it ..

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Jovanovski = Norris said:
Carey Price might sneak into the top 15 but seeing how recent top draft picks like Blackburn, Montoya, Leclaire and company flop

Blackburn is just a flop? He was on pace to be a potential stud before his injury. If not for his freak accident you bet he would be the Ranger starter as soon as hockey started back up, and probably the starter for at least half of last year as well.

Montoya is a flop? One bad tournament and the guys a dud? This whole statement makes me value your list even less. What kind of handle do you have on prospects if you already consider Montoya a flop? :shakehead

TopGun12

Dec 22, 2003
The Messenger said:

Latrendesse has really picked up his game after a slow start....and there is no way that he drops below the first round.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Barnaby said:
Blackburn is just a flop? He was on pace to be a potential stud before his injury. If not for his freak accident you bet he would be the Ranger starter as soon as hockey started back up, and probably the starter for at least half of last year as well.

Montoya is a flop? One bad tournament and the guys a dud? This whole statement makes me value your list even less. What kind of handle do you have on prospects if you already consider Montoya a flop? :shakehead

When I said flop I didn't mean to insult his talent level. I am just saying, it was a dud move. Taking a goalie so early is definitely a gamble and NYR lost their gamble. Blackburn, though his injury is unfortunate, didn't pan out for NY and they promptly lost a 10th overall pick. The went and drafted Montoya 6th overall who may or may not live up to his billing. And from his performances at the WJC and his lacklustre play this year at the NCAA, he probably should've been drafted 10 spots lower. Not saying both don't (or didn't in Blackburn's case) have the potential to be starters, but a 10th overall pick and a 6th overall pick were used as a gamble for young 18 year old goalies. If I were a NY fan, I would have had great expectations for such high picks. But they've flopped so far.

I'm definitely not a fan of drafting goalies with high picks.

There were only two goalies ever drafted 1st overall and the first one whose name escapes me was a flop.
Rick Dipietro is a potential star but should he have been drafted 1st overall ahead of Gaborik and Heatley?

Jamie Storr was drafted 7th overall.
Trevor Kidd was drafted 11th overall.
Jimmy Waite was drafted 8th overall.
Jeff Finley was drafted 6th overall.
Brent Krahn was drafted 9th overall.
Roberto Luongo was drafted 4th overall.
Kari Lehtonen was drafted 2nd overall.
Pascal Leclaire was drafted 8th overall.
Dan Blackburn was drafted 10th overall.
Alvaro Montoya was drafted 6th overall.

Of those goalies who were drafted high, only Luongo has met or surpassed expectations. Lehtonen may or may not some day, but I think it is a huge gamble to take a goalie with a top 10 pick.

Guys like Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, Belfour, Kipprusoff, etc... were not drafted so highly.

The year when NYR drafted Blackburn, two of the next three players taken after him were Dan Hamhuis and Alex Hemsky. The player taken before Blackburn and after Pascal Leclaire was Tuomo Ruutu. I'm sure Columbus and NYR would've drafted differently...

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i dont agree with the notion that a guy taken in the 04 draft can be a flop pick ("dud move")at this point. ive gone through this with the ladd haters. how can you possibly judge these guys so soon? how can you know with any certainty that guys chosen after will do better? until montoya flounders iin hartford for three years....it isnt a dud pick.
and until blackburns injury really came to light, i wouldve taken him over hemsky....no offense to edm fans. hamhuis would be a tossup to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad