My top 100 prospects

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
This thread would be a lot better if people were unbiased towards their own prospects, not claiming this and that without some semblance of context to backup their points. OP compiled a list based on their own opinion, so why cry when it's just from what they've seen, read, etc. If you want to oppose their list, at least create a valid argument.

I think the list is fine, personally. Though admittedly I am not the most informed on prospects ever, so I won't say bleh is better than blah, and whatnot. But the hostility is pretty unwarranted for somebody who just made a prospect list, imo.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The Rangers top prospect is Shestyorkin.

He's playing in the KHL, on a good team, until he comes over and plays on a NA rink, in the AHL or NHL, I wouldn't be so quick to label him as our top prospect. Goalies are hard to figure out. Great athleticism. I just don't know if you can all him our Top Prospect.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's playing in the KHL, on a good team, until he comes over and plays on a NA rink, in the AHL or NHL, I wouldn't be so quick to label him as our top prospect. Goalies are hard to figure out. Great athleticism. I just don't know if you can all him our Top Prospect.

Our board pretty easily voted him our top prospect.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You are essentially saying a goalie can't be a top prospect.

No, I'm saying he's playing in the KHL, on a top team, and most of his positioning is relied upon athleticism. He's been great, I'm not taking anything away from him, but I'm not sure how that will transfer over. Chytil has looked real good in the AHL. Lias has looked real good at the worlds and shows NHL level skills. While goalies can be top prospects, it's lot harder to judge their NHL success.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's one of the reasons they are a top team, and its an exaggeration to say most of his positioning is relied on athleticism. He's rather polished, in my opinion.

Feel free to think whatever you want though.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Overall solid list, obviously some players can get interchanged but overall pretty good. One guy though your missing is Joey Anderson

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This thread would be a lot better if people were unbiased towards their own prospects, not claiming this and that without some semblance of context to backup their points. OP compiled a list based on their own opinion, so why cry when it's just from what they've seen, read, etc. If you want to oppose their list, at least create a valid argument.

I think the list is fine, personally. Though admittedly I am not the most informed on prospects ever, so I won't say bleh is better than blah, and whatnot. But the hostility is pretty unwarranted for somebody who just made a prospect list, imo.
This thread would be a lot better if people didn’t assume anyone arguing some of the rankings is purely doing it out of bias.

Hronek’s a just-turned-20 AHL rookie d-man, he’s 0.5+PPG, leading his team among D in points and points-per-game and a team lead in +/-. He had a very impressive rookie season in the OHL last year (Saginaw’s MVP) and had 2+2 in 5 WJC games.

While I won’t go through every d-man ahead of him in the rankings, it’s hard to say he’s not trending as good as or better than many of them. Dermott as a comparable had a worse OHL d+1 year (not a rookie, not coping with transition to small ice), worse WJC in d+1 year, worse AHL rookie performance in d+2 season(so far), and ranks 33 on this list.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
There are quite a few d-men ahead of Hronek on the list that don't have much argument to be. Carlsson and Myers for example. Guhle is ranked #35 and has 2 more points in 1 more game, in his D+3 year while Hronek is in his D+2, and relative to their teammates Guhle is much less impressive. But feel free to make a counter-argument if you actually know what you're talking about.

I am actually very impressed with Hronek and agree that he could be ranked a bit higher. I just thought it was a little bold to say Rasmussen will be in the NHL next year and that Cholowski will be a top 4 defensemen, I'm not saying it won't happen, I just think people who does ranking like this won't be as bold. I also think the other prospects you listed were ranked properly.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Honourable Mentions:

Kyle Wood, Tyler Steenbergen, Jakub Zboril, Jeremy Lauzon, Ryan Donato, Urho Vaakanainen, Jeremy Swayman, Marcus Davidsson, Victor Oloffson, CJ Smith, Nick Baptiste, Linus Ullmark, Jon Gillies, Andrew Mangiapane, Dillon Dube, Warren Foegele, Lucas Wallmark, Roland McKeown, Kevin Stenlund, Roope Hintz, Riley Tufte, Jake Oettinger, Colton Point, Dennis Cholowski, Evgeny Svechnikov, Caleb Jones, Tyler Benson, Adam Mascherin, Maxwell Gildon, Jayce Hawryluk, Jordan Greenway, Dmitry Sokolov, Josh Brook, Jake Evans, Patrick Harper, John Quenneville, Yegor Rykov, Reilly Walsh, Mikhail Maltsev, Sebastian Aho, Linus Soderstrom, Vinni Lettieri, Ty Ronning, Morgan Barron, Alex Formenton, Christian Jaros, Filip Chlapik, German Rubtsov, Filip Gustavsson, Dominik Simon, Zach Aston-Reese, Danny O'Regan, Dylan Gambrell, Mario Ferraro, Ville Husso, Taylor Raddysh, Anthony Cirelli, Yegor Korshkov,
Jeremy Bracco, Andrea Johnsson, Nicolas Hague, Lucas Johansen, Shane Gersich, Mason Appleton, Erik Foley, Dylan Samberg,

There are some really good college players in here. And as a Bruins fan I'd rather have a good amount of them than Senyshyn, but I'm probably not familiar enough with everyone to chime in.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
This thread would be a lot better if people didn’t assume anyone arguing some of the rankings is purely doing it out of bias.

Hronek’s a just-turned-20 AHL rookie d-man, he’s 0.5+PPG, leading his team among D in points and points-per-game and a team lead in +/-. He had a very impressive rookie season in the OHL last year (Saginaw’s MVP) and had 2+2 in 5 WJC games.

While I won’t go through every d-man ahead of him in the rankings, it’s hard to say he’s not trending as good as or better than many of them. Dermott as a comparable had a worse OHL d+1 year (not a rookie, not coping with transition to small ice), worse WJC in d+1 year, worse AHL rookie performance in d+2 season(so far), and ranks 33 on this list.

Well that's because half of them weren't providing any context, at least you've put something here to back up your point(although I don't put any stock into +/- personally, but that's besides the point).

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Why even derail this thread with accusations of bias in regards to the number one spot when its filled by a very reasonable selection. OP clearly put time and effort into this if his endgame was just to pump his prospects tires he could have just made a thread about that. People on this site are awful.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why is Brett Howden so low? He hasn't played a ton of games this year but his ppg is among the highest in the WHL, he's improved that every year, is a strong two way player and seems to have a game that should transition well to the NHL. Sam Steel is like 50 spots better and hasn't had the best of draft +2 years and isn't as strong all around?

I don't even see Libor Hajek on the HM list, just a miss or you don't rate him at all?

LoveNHL

Jun 15, 2015
Sweden
I put together a list of my top 100 prospects and some honourable mentions as well.

A player must have less than 25 games played in the NHL to be considered a prospect.

Also, before you chirp too much, basically the back half and the honourable mentions are one big group and are tough to distinguish.

1. Elias Pettersson - Vancouver
2. Casey Mittelstadt - Buffalo
3. Miro Heiskanen - Dallas
4. Eeli Tolvanen - Nashville
5. Cale Makar - Colorado
6. Kirill Kaprizov - Minnesota
7. Martin Necas - Carolina
8. Lias Andersson - New York Rangers
9. Henrik Borgstrom - Florida
10. Dylan Strome - Arizona
11. Kristian Vesalainen - Winnipeg
12. Cody Glass - Vegas
13. Robert Thomas - St. Louis
14. Jack Roslovic - Winnipeg
15. Igor Shestyorkin - New York Rangers
16. Timothy Liljegren - Toronto
17. Filip Chytil - New York Rangers
18. Olli Juolevi - Vancouver
19. Ilya Samsonov - Washington
20. Nick Suzuki - Vegas
21. Nick Merkley - Arizona
22. Sam Steel - Anaheim
23. Thatcher Demko - Vancouver
24. Jordan Kyrou - St. Louis
25. Gabe Vilardi - Los Angeles
26. Ilya Sorokin - New York Islanders
27. Morgan Frost - Philadelphia
28. Aleksi Heponiemi - Florida
29. Erik Brannstrom - Vegas
30. Owen Tippett - Florida
31. Oskar Lindblom - Philadelphia
32. Ryan Poehling - Montreal
33. Travis Dermott - Toronto
34. Adam Fox - Calgary
35. Brendan Guhle - Buffalo
36. Klim Kostin - St. Louis
37. Carter Hart - Philadelphia
38. Henri Jokiharju - Chicago
39. Phil Myers - Philadelphia
40. Colin White - Ottawa
41. Adam Gaudette - Vancouver
42. Kieffer Bellows - New York Islanders
43. Luke Kunin - Minnesota
44. Kailer Yamamoto - Edmonton
45. Rasmus Andersson - Calgary
46. Dante Fabbro - Nashville
47. Nikita Scherbak - Montreal
48. Dylan Sikura - Chicago
49. Logan Brown - Ottawa
50. Gabriel Carlsson - Columbus
51. Jake Bean - Carolina
52. Janne Kuokkanen - Carolina
53. Jacob Larason - Anaheim
54. Michael Mcleod - New Jersey
55. Kale Clague - Los Angeles
56. Conor Timmins - Colorado
57. Cal Foote - Tampa Bay
58. Filip Hronek - Detroit
59. Tage Thompson - St. Louis
60. Nikita Gusev - Vegas
61. Vitaly Abramov - Columbus
62. Sami Niku - Winnipeg
63. Michael Rasmussen - Detroit
64. Noah Juulsen - Montreal
65. Tristan Jarry - Puttsburgh
66. Ian Mitchell - Chicago
67. Valentin Zykov - Carolina
68. Tyler Parsons - Calgary
69. Rasmus Asplund - Buffalo
70. Zach Senyshyn - Boston
71. Juuso Valimaki - Calgary
72. Trent Frediric - Boston
73. Alex Nylander - Buffalo
74. Vladislav Kamenev - Colorado
75. Oliver Kylington - Calgary
76. Shane Bowers - Colorado
77. Jason Robertson - Dallas
78. Ethan Bear - Edmonton
79. Kole Lind - Vancouver
80. Carl Grundstrom - Toronto
81. Jaret Anderson-Dolan - Los Angeles
82. Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson - Boston
83. Wade Allison - Philadelphia
84. Sam Morin - Philadelphia
85. Jake Walman - St. Louis
86. Brett Howden - Tampa Bay
87. Jonathan Dahlen - Vancouver
88. Pierre Oliver Joseph - Arizona
89. Max Jones - Anaheim
90. Boris Katchouk - Tampa Bay
91. Troy Terry - Anaheim
92. Nicolas Roy - Carolina
93. Mathieu Joseph - Tampa Bay
94. Julien Gautheir - Carolina
95. Alexandre Texier - Columbus
96. Tyler Bertuzzi - Detroit
97. Devon Toews - New York Islanders
98. Jesper Boqvist - New Jersey
99. Drake Batherson - Ottawa
100. Josh Norris - San Jose

Honourable Mentions:

Kyle Wood, Tyler Steenbergen, Jakub Zboril, Jeremy Lauzon, Ryan Donato, Urho Vaakanainen, Jeremy Swayman, Marcus Davidsson, Victor Oloffson, CJ Smith, Nick Baptiste, Linus Ullmark, Jon Gillies, Andrew Mangiapane, Dillon Dube, Warren Foegele, Lucas Wallmark, Roland McKeown, Kevin Stenlund, Roope Hintz, Riley Tufte, Jake Oettinger, Colton Point, Dennis Cholowski, Evgeny Svechnikov, Caleb Jones, Tyler Benson, Adam Mascherin, Maxwell Gildon, Jayce Hawryluk, Jordan Greenway, Dmitry Sokolov, Josh Brook, Jake Evans, Patrick Harper, John Quenneville, Yegor Rykov, Reilly Walsh, Mikhail Maltsev, Sebastian Aho, Linus Soderstrom, Vinni Lettieri, Ty Ronning, Morgan Barron, Alex Formenton, Christian Jaros, Filip Chlapik, German Rubtsov, Filip Gustavsson, Dominik Simon, Zach Aston-Reese, Danny O'Regan, Dylan Gambrell, Mario Ferraro, Ville Husso, Taylor Raddysh, Anthony Cirelli, Yegor Korshkov,
Jeremy Bracco, Andrea Johnsson, Nicolas Hague, Lucas Johansen, Shane Gersich, Mason Appleton, Erik Foley, Dylan Samberg,

As you can tell, there were a lot of guys I left off my list that you could easily make a case for and it is nothing against them.
Bellows should be higher imo.

Joshua01

Feb 1, 2018
There are a decent amount of Ottawa Senators prospects on here but the 1 I think most fans are excited for is Thomas Chabot and unless I missed his name he doesn't seem to have even made this list. Hes finally made the line up as a regular (for now) and has shown much more promise than Logan Brown has.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Good list OP I like a lot of the rankings you've made.

Serious question though. How do you rank goalie prospects? Is it based on stability, positional play, or some type of a mix of stats and analysts projections? Just curious because I feel like most goalies who are rated as higher prospects would more than likely be due to athleticism+ frame + numbers or some form like that, I just don't see any other way to clear cut rank a goalie as systems matter and overall soundness of position I feel like outweigh anything that they have control of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad