My thoughts on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK Benny

Jul 13, 2004
1. We seem to have hit our stride in the mid-90's where it seemed everyone was in their prime, coming into their prime, and slightly passed it. I remember telling my buddies at the time in '96 that our D was superior, Richter could still make a run, and our prime time forwards were 24-30 in age.

2. Our defensemen can't move the puck or their feet.

3. We are totally dependent on our goaltending right now. Both games should have been 4-1, at least.

4. Our powerplay, even though they've scored both goals I think, has me swearing at my television. Why all the unnecesary dumpins, with no forecheck, which leads to icings?

5. I don't see this team getting to the finals. In fact I rank them so far behind: 1. Canada, 2a. Finland, 2b. Sweden, 4. Slovakia, 5. Russia. I'm sorry, but I don't even see semi's for a team that hasn't even registered an even strength goal yet in two games.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
What I don't understand is how this team can come out so flat in the 1st period. That's the differance maker IMO. Not only does it give the other teams prime scoring chances, but also confidence, which the U.S. hasn't been able to overcome as they get better throughout the game. The defense is getting railroaded, and that's not a surprise given the age, and overall lack of size on the blueline. There needs to be more help from the forwards, and there isn't. Also, where are all the scoring chances? I see very little creativity, and that's a mystery to me. The U.S. has some of the top playmakers and snipers in the league, yet are looking lost offensively. I don't get it...... :banghead:

Last edited:

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I am as disappointed as you are Rabid as I too expected much better from their forwards but I am not that surprised about the defensive miscues. But have some faith man!!!!! Remember that Canada won last spring's world championship title even though they opened up with a tie against Austria and a loss to Switzerland!

It is to early to write the U.S. off, they can still bounce back!

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Sometimes it looks like they aren't working, and sometimes it looks like they're working, but not smartly. It doesn't seem like we get more than one or two forwards playing well at the same time. Only a couple of times last night did they show a semblance of good offensive pressure. Now, it's not all on the US here, Russia played really well, I thought, and the Canadians have been the team to beat since before the roster was announced. I didn't expect it would be easy to look good against either of those teams. Still, you can't overlook how bad things looked last night. If they don't pull it together soon it's going to be a short tournament for 'em.

On the other hand, Esche has been good, and while our defense has given up a lot of possession time, they've had some good moments when the puck is in close. If we can continue to get good goaltending, and the rest of the team can get their heads together before the elimination games, I still have hope they can put in a decent showing.

Macman

May 15, 2004
The core of the team is old, banged up and in the case of Brett Hull disinterested. I can't understand why Wilson keeps playing him. He's a complete liability and it's only a matter of time before he starts whining and complaining about having to play hockey in the summer. I guarantee it. The loss of Roenick also hurts greatly. He's a yappy, mouthy, talented little ***** who gets under other team's skin and lifts his teammates. Chelios simply can no longer do it. The spirit is there, he's a warrior, but he's simply too old now. The U.S. also only seems to get up for games against Canada. If I was an American fan, I'd pray for a Cda-US matchup in the quarters because it seems to be the only way to wake up a lot of these guys.

longtime listener

Nov 18, 2003
Speed kills

The Americans are simply getting out-skated. They're losing puck battles because they arrive too late. To mitigate this I would have liked to have seen them do a better job establishing a cycling game down low, which should have been easier against Russia but wasn't. Defensively they need to hope Esche stays hot. Lack of skill and depth from the blueline is killing them and it doesn't look like Chelios can play the minutes Wilson needs... though Leetch hasn't looked too bad. Bottom line is I just don't think they have the legs to go far, and Russia and Canada are proving it.

P.S. Russia surprised me last night. I'd put them ahead of Slovakia when ranking the teams.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Brett Hull keeps getting played because he has a history of coming up big in big games...
The problem with the USA is their age...in 1996 they had a core of players that were all considered stars in the nhl...that core is now nearing the end of their careers and the best that have replaced them are good players like Gomez and Drury...these guys are nearly as good as Modano, LeClair, Hull, Amonte etc...use to be...that said, it's still anyones tournament, the USA may get their legs yet and surprize.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
VOB said:
I am as disappointed as you are Rabid as I too expected much better from their forwards but I am not that surprised about the defensive miscues. But have some faith man!!!!! Remember that Canada won last spring's world championship title even though they opened up with a tie against Austria and a loss to Switzerland!

It is to early to write the U.S. off, they can still bounce back!

Very true. The U.S. is going to have some new faces in the line-up tonight, I hope that gives the team a jump start.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Macman said:
The core of the team is old, banged up and in the case of Brett Hull disinterested. I can't understand why Wilson keeps playing him. He's a complete liability and it's only a matter of time before he starts whining and complaining about having to play hockey in the summer. I guarantee it. The loss of Roenick also hurts greatly. He's a yappy, mouthy, talented little ***** who gets under other team's skin and lifts his teammates. Chelios simply can no longer do it. The spirit is there, he's a warrior, but he's simply too old now. The U.S. also only seems to get up for games against Canada. If I was an American fan, I'd pray for a Cda-US matchup in the quarters because it seems to be the only way to wake up a lot of these guys.

You make some great points. I think Hull is actually going to sit tonight, so we'll see if the line-up changes gives the team a jump start. What I don't get is how a team can play so poorly in the 1st period, and then turn it around in the 2nd. They need to get off to a flying start tonight, or I fear another loss.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dan Galvin said:
Basically like a lot of you said it's about who wants it more and in the first two games Canada and Russia have wanted it a hell of a lot more then the U.S. I pray they come out flying tonight. :mad:

I think the U.S. has shown glimpses of what it can do, but not consistently. If they can play a full 60 minutes, I think we'll see a good result.

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
US just cant do it lately. Their passing the puck like pee wees the arent skting hard through the nuetral zone not finishing their checks shooting horribly wide.

THeyre passing and transition really hurts them. They are breaking out slowly and dont get their legs moving and get open soon enough for the defensemen. You'll see the defensemen often turnuing over the puck because the forwards dont get to their spots quick enough. The forwards then wont push through nuetral zone. Nobody (with the exception of KT's hit on Kasper) has been hitting as hard as they can. None of the stars are gritting it out. I think weight has been poor in this tourney, he needs to create space and pass the puck before he turns it over (cant do everything urself dougie, if worse, cycle it, ur good at it). Passing and transition are just horrible...seriously its killing them more then anything

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Hmmm that's funny...

It seems that everything that was said about this American team is coming true...

DevMod9

I want to know where the transition has been for the stars & stripes?? The defense is constantly getting backed up into their own zone. Leetch, Chelios and Liles have been exploited in both games so far when the puck has dumped into the corners. The losses of Hatcher and Schneider are being felt firsthand.

Meanwhile up front, they have to get more out of Amonte, Drury, Weight & Hull. Weight especially was invisible last night. He is probably the best "pure" playmaker on the team with all respects to Scott Gomez and Mike Modano. Tkachuk & Guerin have been the most effective forwards up to this point. It was refreshing to see Modano return with a very strong game despite the knee problem. He set up a several scoring chances and was the beneficiary of a couple onetimers from the high slot.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
DevMod9 said:
I want to know where the transition has been for the stars & stripes?? The defense is constantly getting backed up into their own zone. Leetch, Chelios and Liles have been exploited in both games so far when the puck has dumped into the corners. The losses of Hatcher and Schneider are being felt firsthand.

Meanwhile up front, they have to get more out of Amonte, Drury, Weight & Hull. Weight especially was invisible last night. He is probably the best "pure" playmaker on the team with all respects to Scott Gomez and Mike Modano. Tkachuk & Guerin have been the most effective forwards up to this point. It was refreshing to see Modano return with a very strong game despite the knee problem. He set up a several scoring chances and was the beneficiary of a couple onetimers from the high slot.

The problem with the U.S. defense is guys like Leetch, Chelios, and Liles are being relied upon to be the stoppers in the defensive zone when they should be the keys to the transistion game. The injuries and such on the blueline is a key factor thus far IMO.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
You make some great points. I think Hull is actually going to sit tonight, so we'll see if the line-up changes gives the team a jump start. What I don't get is how a team can play so poorly in the 1st period, and then turn it around in the 2nd. They need to get off to a flying start tonight, or I fear another loss.

Hull, along with a few others, is out....Link

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Personally, I think the US team as a whole is not nearly as fast as the other teams (especially the Canadiens and Russians). When you factor in that they are relatively small on the blueline, you can see the problems this can cause. They can't outmuscle the forwards, nor can they skate with them.....and this is why teams that are highly skilled like the Russians and Canada's team, make us look silly.

disles1

Jun 5, 2002
Visit site
Enoch said:
Personally, I think the US team as a whole is not nearly as fast as the other teams (especially the Canadiens and Russians). When you factor in that they are relatively small on the blueline, you can see the problems this can cause. They can't outmuscle the forwards, nor can they skate with them.....and this is why teams that are highly skilled like the Russians and Canada's team, make us look silly.

We did beat these two teams last week did we not? :dunno: Do you think they were not trying last week? I think anyteam (germany exception) can beat anyone on a given night. We have played two bad games-where we have not looked good. I do agree we look slow and we are small but that doesn't mean we can't win the rest of our games. If we get a hot goalie and better effort who knows--let's see, anything can happen.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I hear Hull is upset and has decided to become a german citizen...he will now suit up for the German squad, his theory is he's got to be gaurenteed a spot on the German team...lol

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
disles1 said:
We did beat these two teams last week did we not? :dunno: Do you think they were not trying last week? I think anyteam (germany exception) can beat anyone on a given night. We have played two bad games-where we have not looked good. I do agree we look slow and we are small but that doesn't mean we can't win the rest of our games. If we get a hot goalie and better effort who knows--let's see, anything can happen.

We did beat Canada and Russia last week, by playing a much differant game. I don't know what I've seen for most of the past two games, but it sure isn't the U.S's best effort, that's for sure.

gretzky99

The USA's poor plays comes as no surprise to me. Plain and simple, their old and have no depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->