My thoughts for a fair deal for both sides that might work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
If I were the PA I would come up with a floating cap system. It would be based on a % of ticket sale revenue only. Here is how it would work. The salary cap ceilling would be 65 % of the highest teams gate revenue and the cap floor would be 65 % of the lowest teams gate revenue. Revenue is a trust issue with the players but revenue based on ticket sales is pretty hard to hide. The cap settings would change every year based on the prevous years revenues. So if ticket sales go up salaries increase. If ticket sales go down salaries decrease. The payroll would always allow the owners a fair % of the pie at the same time keep the payrolls linked to revenue. Thoughts anyone.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Players do not want to be tied to league revenues in any fashion. Otherwise they cannot force salaries up. Why do you think they wanted linkage dropped? If overall revenues increased, linkage favors the players. If revenues decrease, linkage is bad for the players. Therefore, the players believe NHL revenues will decrease, and therefore the players do not want any partnership of any kind.

If I'm an owner I'd drop linkage as a bargaining tool. If league revenues increase, they will keep that upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->