My Stanley Cup ads

jacK

Sep 18, 2005
Michigan
as a marketing/advertising person i'll tell you that these ads are doing nothing to get more people in the seats or TVs on NBC/OLN channels. i'll also tell you that i like them and the message i'm pulling from them; the Stanley Cup is one of the most revered trophies in all of sports, and these spots put it on a pedestal where it belongs.
if their goal is to project the sanctity of the Cup to the viewers, they're doing it very well.
if their goal is to generate new fans, they're failing miserably (much like myNHL before them.)

Jazz

jacK said:
as a marketing/advertising person i'll tell you that these ads are doing nothing to get more people in the seats or TVs on NBC/OLN channels. i'll also tell you that i like them and the message i'm pulling from them; the Stanley Cup is one of the most revered trophies in all of sports, and these spots put it on a pedestal where it belongs.
if their goal is to project the sanctity of the Cup to the viewers, they're doing it very well.
if their goal is to generate new fans, they're failing miserably (much like myNHL before them.)
The point of these adds is not directed towards those who are already fans of the games - it directed to non-hockey fans....I don't think it is working though...

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The problem is these ads only run during the Stanley Cup Playoff games. People watching those already knwo about the playoffs and are fans. They already have them. The need to advertise outside of NHL games and at the end say which games are on what and at what time.

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
jkrdevil said:
The problem is these ads only run during the Stanley Cup Playoff games. People watching those already knwo about the playoffs and are fans. They already have them. The need to advertise outside of NHL games and at the end say which games are on what and at what time.

at this point, there are still so many games going on, that would be hard, but after this round, it might make more sense to do that

i agree the ads aren't reaching the desired audience if they're just running during the sc playoff games, where, obviously, those people are already watching....

if they want *new* fans...they need to run those ads during other sports (baseball?) and, btw, no new fan is going to recognize the players in the ad, but at least it's a step up from using actors...(even though, in that sense, they may as well be actors)

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Sotnos said:
How do you know this?

That's the only place I have ever seen them. So if they are airing them outside the game telecast they aren't doing a good job at reaching a potential audience. Like soemone else said they need to run them during other sporting events and sports shows.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
the ad's are well placed - i've seen them on several channels during sports and non - sports programming - cable and network a like - like the rest of you how effective they are i dunno -

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Yeah, the "Just for a chance" line is great.

I like them all. John Cusack is supposedly doing the fourth one, can't wait to see it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Stevedude530 said:
Yeah, the "Just for a chance" line is great.

I like them all. John Cusack is supposedly doing the fourth one, can't wait to see it.

John Cusack might be God

KrisKing*

I think it's funny they have Brodeur, Heatley and guys like that and then they end every commercial with... Mike Grier! Ha ha ha I assume he's the last black player left in the playoffs. They should have had a shot of Laraque beating someone up instead.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
richardsteele said:
I think it's funny they have Brodeur, Heatley and guys like that and then they end every commercial with... Mike Grier! Ha ha ha I assume he's the last black player left in the playoffs. They should have had a shot of Laraque beating someone up instead.

The Sens probably don't find it too funny right now...

KrisKing*

battle axe said:
The Sens probably don't find it too funny right now...

That reminds me... Ray Emery is higher profile, and black, which I think is what they were going for. I guess he doesn't play for an american team though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad