My Promised Column: How VERSUS Failed the NHL

X0ssbar

The NFL and NHL are far too different, especially in terms of where the young talent comes from and how much people can see them before they're drafted, to make any useful comparisons.

So true. You cannot compare the NFL and NHL at any level really. There could be an argument to be made in terms of salary caps but even that is quite different between the two leagues.

If someone is looking to compare the NHL draft to another league look no further than the MLB. Both leagues have very deep systems, *most* people (outside of Hockey/Baseballs's future) do not care and do not get a chance to watch these prospects develop. The leagues are to systematic/tiered and chances are you are not going to see draft picks at the top tier of professional levels for years...if they make it at all. Thus that translates into disinterest which translates into less money which then translates into limited coverage. Stars in both leagues are made at the top level outside of generational talents.

First rounders in the NFL all play the following year.

I'm just gratefull we get to watch the first round to be honest with you all.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
The worst part is I could totally see VS choosing not to renew the contract based on ratings, not the NHL. (Or I could be totally off on how the deal works)

I doubt that will happen. If it does, VS. would have to depend on Lacrosse and (mid-major) college events to get ratings. The NHL's ratings, although poor, still trump anything else VS. has.

If the NHL left, Comcast might as well give up their "experiment" that they were so hopeful about being able to rival ESPN. (What a joke - too bad the NHL took the bait.)

What's funny is that SPIKE TV WAS OFFERING MORE MONEY THAN VERSUS/OLN AFTER THE LOCKOUT! And Spike TV is on BASIC CABLE! How stupid are the people in the NHL offices? :banghead:

Now the NHL is probably going to go crawling back to Spike/ESPN and will get no money at all.

Darth Bangkok

May 17, 2006
Mogadishu
The biggest complaint I have about vs is that the coverage starts five minutes before the game and ends at the top of whatever hour after the game ends. And its only on Mon and Tues. Other than that, its hockey blackout. There is nothing else the entire week to watch. The intermission shows are annoying, but all sports intermission shows are annoying (whoever invented tag-team reporting I'll never know. Its used on news casts as well), but at least it is all hockey. We see highlights and updates from around the lead. The top 10's are juvenile and overpromoted, but I can live with that if it means I get to watch hockey. The promblem with the vs coverage is that its limited to 3 hrs on monday and 3 hrs on tues, with an extra game here and there. so its two days with hockey and then 5 days with nothing.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I never heard anything about Spike offering more. Comcast offered the same money that was in the previous contract with the NHL. That said Comcast did have an inside track with the negotiations as they own the Flyers.

Randall Graves*

every time I get involved in these debates, I have to say the NHL needs ESPN alot more than ESPN needs it. The guy who hated hockey no longer works there, all we need is one flippin ESPN game a week, stay on Vs but you need a multi network deal here. I'm not going to pay an extra 10 bucks to watch the Pens and Flyers every week when I can get center ice and watch whoever I want.

Atleast when the NHL was on ESPN the game got SOME exposure, now it gets none at all.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
" I spend most of my time either blogging about it or legitimately writing about it."

Hahahahaha.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Does VS. broadcast NHL games in HD ? Secondly, Does Center Ice broadcast games in HD ?

Maybe the average fan would be more inclined to watch more if they could watch in HD ?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
VS broadcasts some games in HD, Center Ice does not.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
*CUT*
If the NHL left, Comcast might as well give up their "experiment" that they were so hopeful about being able to rival ESPN. (What a joke - too bad the NHL took the bait.)
I don't think it was a short-term goals to have VS rival ESPN. Who would even consider that notion given that the OLN/VS was starting on the ground floor?

What's funny is that SPIKE TV WAS OFFERING MORE MONEY THAN VERSUS/OLN AFTER THE LOCKOUT! And Spike TV is on BASIC CABLE! How stupid are the people in the NHL offices? :banghead:
How do you know this? ... and the OLN/VS is on basic cable... just not in as many markets.

Now the NHL is probably going to go crawling back to Spike/ESPN and will get no money at all.
And give people who don't think before they post even more to ridicule the NHL about their TV contracts in the States.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->