My pick if I could change NHL Commissioner...

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
any true NHL fan would be a better choice then Bettman

Yes, because they would know what it takes to keep multiple billionaires on the same page while trying to promote the game of hockey and keep the players happy, all at the same time.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
David Stern would kill to have the CBA the NHL has. Bettman outclass Stern no contest. Stern is overrated as a commish. I would say that right now the NHL is healthier than the NBA.

The NBA's CBA was just renewed a year or so ago, with only minor changes. Seems to me that Mr. Stern would've taken the Gary Bettman\General Sherman approach to labor negotiations if their deal was so bad.

And if anyone is interested in Bud Selig's thoughts, he has *nothing* but praise for MLB's current luxury tax deal.

GSC2k2*

The NBA's CBA was just renewed a year or so ago, with only minor changes. Seems to me that Mr. Stern would've taken the Gary Bettman\General Sherman approach to labor negotiations if their deal was so bad.

And if anyone is interested in Bud Selig's thoughts, he has *nothing* but praise for MLB's current luxury tax deal.
Mr. Selig's thoughts? How did you determine them? Have you been in touch with a secretary in the MLB offices to determine them?

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Mr. Selig's thoughts? How did you determine them? Have you been in touch with a secretary in the MLB offices to determine them?

Don't be foolish.

Secretaries don't know dick about baseball, even if they work for the league.

HT spoke with Selig himself, who had the audacity to support a system he helped create.

Anyways, with this cap, the league will be bankrupt in a few years anyways, and then we'll see who's laughing, Mr. Smarty Pants.

In fact, I hope the entire NHL does fold, in order to prove my point on a hockey forum, and any time a team doesn't sell out or if it loses money during the season, I'm going to start a thread to trumpet the demise of the NHL under "Buttman."

And then I'm going to sit back down in the corner of my living room and click the floor lamp on and off repeatedly until daybreak.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
David Stern is the best Commishioner. That guy made basketball what it is today. At one point basketball was struggling and now it is just booming.

You need a good forward thinker like that.

Stern is one of the best commisioners of all time. One time basketball was neck and neck with Hockey, but Stern made the NBA that much more popular. That man is a smart man.

jvl4

Sep 1, 2006
Winnipeg
Daly would definitely be the ideal man to take this position but I would also like to see Brian Burke, he's clearly shown his managerial skills and his knowledge of the game and it's business would definitely make the nhl a more profitable game.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Daly would definitely be the ideal man to take this position but I would also like to see Brian Burke, he's clearly shown his managerial skills and his knowledge of the game and it's business would definitely make the nhl a more profitable game.

another option would be bob goodenow. he got the players a deal that made them millionaires who'd never have to work after their playing days were over.

yet they sold him under the bus when they caved even though he told them it would be a long fight to get what "they" wanted and voted for.

i'd love to see goodenow named the commissioner and destroy saskin and the players union. he'd do a heck of a better job than bettman, with the codicile that he had the owners support that bettman has.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Anyways, with this cap, the league will be bankrupt in a few years anyways, and then we'll see who's laughing, Mr. Smarty Pants.
Please explain how, with the economic model the NHL has where aggregate player salaries are fixed and all teams have a limited amount they can spend when putting together a roster, "the league will be bankrupt in a few years."

GSC2k2*

Please explain how, with the economic model the NHL has where aggregate player salaries are fixed and all teams have a limited amount they can spend when putting together a roster, "the league will be bankrupt in a few years."
You're not serious, are you IB?

Read the name of the author of that post, dude.

GSC2k2*

yet they sold him under the bus when they caved even though he told them it would be a long fight to get what "they" wanted and voted for.

Rubbish. Absolute rubbish. He said that for public consumption only. The PA's strategy was founded solely on the assumption that the previous lockout would repeat itself and the owners would fold. THAT is what he told the players.
i'd love to see goodenow named the commissioner and destroy saskin and the players union.

Already taken care of. Not Saskin so much, mind you. He is where he should be.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Scotty Bowman

Stern is one of the best commisioners of all time. One time basketball was neck and neck with Hockey, but Stern made the NBA that much more popular. That man is a smart man.

It has nothing to do with Stern and everything to do with pop culture.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
What does pop culture have to do with anything? are you referring to the infusion of basketball with the popularity of rap and hip-hop?

Stern was lucky enough to have Jordan come along during his tenure, and smart enough to market the bejesus out of him.

Div

Sep 4, 2006
As things stand right now, I think Bill Daley would have the inside track when Bettman decides to call it a day. Though I don't see that happenning for a few years.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
I love how everyone rips Bettman for where hockey is today but they forget that the biggest screw up in the history of the league and could have drastically changed the NHL's history was Campbell not signing the CBS tv deal in 68 (or around there) that would have given the NHL the slot football had after the season was done on sunday afternoon.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005

Well, then, explain to me how not every franchise is making a profit, Mr. HandyMan.

Maybe I've switched sides.

Everything's theoretical until you actually talk to people in the know, and I've just gotten off the phone with a VERY important person who assures me, in no uncertain terms, that the entire structure was based on one photograph, (the subject of which need not be named),

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->