My Mock Draft.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
Here is my mock draft:

1) Chicago: Kane - C
Too much of a sure thing (in a draft of many question marks) to pass up.

2) Philadelphia: Turris - C
The guy they wanted all along. Chicago might try trading down knowing this.

3) Phoenix: Gagner - C
They need a solid prospect who will all but for sure make the NHL.

4) Los Angeles: vanRiemsdyck - LW
He has size, speed and the hands to play alongside the many NHL prospects the Kings already have.

5) Washington: Voracek - RW
More scoring for the Caps.

6) Edmonton: Esposito - C
Even though there many be higher ranked players still available I think dreams of another Gretzky looms large in their heads. If there is a kid in this draft that can turn out to be a franchise player - it is this kid.

7) Columbus: Couture - C
Hoping to nab Esposito they settle for a lesser skiled Couture; but less of a gamble.

8) Boston: Sutter - C
I think the bloodlines, combined with the skill, will be too hard for the Bruins to pass by this player.

9) St. Louis: Alzner - D
I actually think that the Blues will trade this pick but if they don't they are high on Alzner because of his steadyness. Cherepanov, if still available (a player I think will drop hugely in this draft), could be a player they take a flyer on too.

10) Florida: Hamill - C
Small but a scorer - something the Panthers need now and in the future.

11) Carolina: Petrecki - D
Time to restock the defensive end and this behemoth would make a great addition to any future blueline.

12) Montreal: Plante - D
Defensive cupboards are bare on the farm. Montreal is high on Petrecki but I think they will miss out on him and settle for Plante - another big defensive boy.

13) Toronto: Gillies - C
Again it is a case of skill and bloodlines that the Maple Leafs will find it hard to pass this guy up - if he is still around. Very consistant player.

14) Colorado: Moller - RW
Heavily scouted my the Avs this RW will continue to add speed and skill to an already high octane offense.

15) Edmonton: Mayorov - LW
IMO this kid is a huge risk BUT with three picks in the first round I believe Edmonton will take the risk - he could be another Pavel Bure.

16) Anaheim: Repik - RW
With the amount of prospects already in the pipeline I think Burke would have liked to take Mayorov (or maybe take a flyer at Cherepanov if still available) but will have to settle in for Repik - a guy Burkie knows all too well.

17) New York Rangers: Shattenkirk - D
A very safe pick from their own backyard.

18) Calgary: Cherepanov - RW
Like I have said above, I think this kid will fall like a rock. Attitude problems and lack of heart will overshadow any skill he might possess. But at this spot Calgary would be dumb not to take a gamble on him.

19) Minnesota: Blum - D
A typical Wild pick: defensively sound with the ability to put points up.

20) Pittsburg: Eller - LW
Would look great alongside either Crosby or Malkin.

21) Phoenix: Ellerby - D
Like many teams this year, it is time to restock on the back end. While many lists have him ranked higher there are questions surrounding his ability to "put it all together". He is a big guy, wiht a hard shot but doesn't seem to score. I think he will fall down to the low 20's.

22) Montreal: Veilleux - C

Has good hands, good size and has shown to be able to score. Plus, he's from La Belle Province.

23) Philadelphia: O'Brien - C
One of the youngest players in the draft the Flyers will be patient with his development as they will be needing some more center's in the near future.

24) St. Louis: McDonagh - D
The Blues were impressed by this kid when they tested him. Even though they have another later pick they won't want to risk losing him to another team: namely the Canucks. He is as close to a can't miss as they come in this draft. Not going to be a star but just a nice quiet consistant d-man.

25) Vancouver: Backlund - C
Many think he won't be available at this spot but if he is Backlund is the future center they will be needing in a couple of years. I think the Canucks will try to move up high in the draft to get a crack at Esposito or Couture OR try to get a mid pick to try and land Repik.

26) St. Louis: Gistedt - G
The Blues will go off the board with their 3rd first round pick to add some depth to their future goalie pipeline.

27) Detroit: Maclean - LW
Detroit will be very happy if he is still around at this spot and will fit in nicely with the talent they already have.

28) Washington: Pacioretty - LW
A bit of a drop for him but will eventually kill penatlies for a future powerhouse in Washington.

29) Ottawa: Sweatt - LW
Many have him going higher but I don't see it. He can skate that is for sure but I think he will be a low first rounder and maybe slide into the 2nd.

30) Edmonton: Gratchev - LW
With their 3rd pick in the first round Edmonton will grab this kid in a heartbeat - lots of speed, great hands and one of the oldest players in the draft.

As for Hickey, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, Katic, Hoeffel and Negrin...I think they will drop into the 2nd round due to the fact that this is a draft full of potential. It isn't a great draft (in the way of sure fire players) but it is full of players who have some great upside potential to them and thus teams will take flyers on some, previously, lower rated players.

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Hmmm not a big fan here. Just don't think Gillies is worth taking at 13. The lack of a scoring touch mostly.

Last edited:

tk421

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Here is my mock draft:

19) Minnesota: Blum - D
A typical Wild pick: defensively sound with the ability to put points up.

21) Phoenix: Ellerby - D
Like many teams this year, it is time to restock on the back end. While many lists have him ranked higher there are questions surrounding his ability to "put it all together". He is a big guy, wiht a hard shot but doesn't seem to score. I think he will fall down to the low 20's.
24) St. Louis: McDonagh - D
The Blues were impressed by this kid when they tested him. Even though they have another later pick they won't want to risk losing him to another team: namely the Canucks. He is as close to a can't miss as they come in this draft. Not going to be a star but just a nice quiet consistant d-man.

The wild D are small and soft, they will not add a 160 pound defensemen with their first pick.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If Edmonton were going to take the risk and draft a RUssian with talent and inconsistent effort at #15, wouldn't they take Cherepanov, who by all accounts is just a much better prospect than Mayorov???

And even though the Bruins have a bigger need at forward than on D. I just can't imagine them passing up Alzner, to go with Sutter who many people project as a 3rd liner

kostybros

Oct 28, 2005
Qc city
Is réjean Houle still the habs GM? lol
veilleux is not 1st rounder and I don't think they reach for Plante.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
If Eller is on the board at 17, it's safe to say the Rangers will take him. Their head European scout, Christer Rockstrom, has been enamored with him since mid-season. And, considering the depth the Rangers have on defense, unless a standout like Petrecki, (the type of D-man the Rangers just don't have in their system) is available, the Rangers are more likely to take a forward, especially if the upside is being a first liner, such as Eller or Backlund, even if risk is involved.

atreides

Feb 6, 2006
Here is my mock draft:

18) Calgary: Cherepanov - RW
Like I have said above, I think this kid will fall like a rock. Attitude problems and lack of heart will overshadow any skill he might possess. But at this spot Calgary would be dumb not to take a gamble on him.

:shakehead

Only one man said that !

toastman344*

Cherapanov #5 to Washington is my response ! Wanna Bet Who Comes Closer To the Mark ?

emb24*

o'byrne, valetenko, emelin, carle, fisher...when did the habs D cupboard go bare? they won't take plante...if esposito is available they will go for the Home Run....

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I'm not an Edmonton fan, but with lots of good young forwards, a horrible defense and 3 first round picks, I think they might take a defenseman.

theoil

Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
I'm not an Edmonton fan, but with lots of good young forwards, a horrible defense and 3 first round picks, I think they might take a defenseman.

Grebeshkov, Gilbert, Greene, Smid, Chorney, Petry, Peckham, Young, Wild. All 18 to 24 years old.

Edmonton is short of top end experienced dmen. If the draft is offering one of those I think you could be right but I'm not certain we are short of young dmen.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
ha

Edmonton can't afford to draft forwards right now. If they're lucky they'll get two good defensemen in the first round. Edmonton deseratly needs a few good young defensemen and what they have in their farm system is just a joke. Taking chances on Russian draft picks isn't a good idea for Edmonton either. Edmonton has been pretty brutal with drafting in the past decade.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Edmonton can't afford to draft forwards right now. If they're lucky they'll get two good defensemen in the first round. Edmonton deseratly needs a few good young defensemen and what they have in their farm system is just a joke. Taking chances on Russian draft picks isn't a good idea for Edmonton either. Edmonton has been pretty brutal with drafting in the past decade.
Nice first post....:shakehead
But the ONE russian defenseman isnt a draft pick of the oilers, and others such as Chorney, Gilbert, Greene, Smid and Petry and solid prospects. Maybe next time you decide to post something you could consult your good friend google and get some info first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad