My Mock Draft

jamiedx

Aug 21, 2004
The draft order isn't exactly finalized yet. But I was bored today and decided to compile my first mock draft. I may add a second round later if some people want to see it. Comment are always welcome and of course nobody is going to completly agree with where I have players going.

Mock Draft Version 1.0

1. St. Louis Blues – D Erik Johnson (USA U-18)
The Blues are faced with a decision, do the take stability with Johnson or flash with Phil Kessel. In the end, stability wins out for the Blues with Johnson. When your top defensive prospect is Scott Jackson you need to take a defenseman that will be able to anchor your blueline for the next 15 years.

2. Pittsburgh Penguins – F Phil Kessel (Minnesota)
The Penguins would have loved to see Johnson slip to them at number 2. A heavy centre draft does not favour the Penguins as they have an elite combination down the middle with Crosby and Malkin. With no other elite defensemen available the Penguins take the dynamic Kessel who they will move to wing and play with either Crosby or Malkin. Looks for the Penguins to move down if Johnson goes number 1 and take a defensemen or a player like James Sheppard.

3. Chicago Blackhawks – F Jonathan Toews (North Dakota)
The Hawks take the more reliable Toews over Staal as Towes all-round game is much more sound and NHL ready. Selecting Toews gives the Hawks a great two-way centre combination with Toews and Ruutu for years to come in the Windy City.

4. Washington Capitals – F Nicklas Backstrom (Brynas)
The Caps are lacking scoring down the middle and need someone to set up superstar Alexander Ovechkin. Backstrom sees the ice quite well and will fit in nicely between Ovechkin and winger Alexander Semin.

5. Boston Bruins – F Jordan Staal (Peterborough)
The Bruins traded away centre Joe Thornton and with Thornton putting up MVP type numbers in San Jose the Bruins must be kicking themselves. Staal is a big kid and he possesses great offensive potential. He won’t make Bruins fans forget about Thornton but this kid will be able to put the puck in the net and could turn out to be the next great player in Boston.

6. Columbus Blue Jackets – F Michael Frolik (Klando Sr.)
Frolik has seen his stock drop with disappointing efforts in the WJHC, he was the undisputed number one prospect in this draft a year ago. The Jackets would love to take defensemen here but they would be reaching huge if they did so. Frolik may have the greatest offensive potential of any player in this draft but of players drafted in the first round he could be the most likely to bust. Will he be Jaromir Jagr or Pavel Brendl only time will tell.

7. New York Islanders – F James Sheppard (Cape Breton)
The Islanders have some great two-way forward prospects but no elite scoring power forwards. Sheppard has the potential to be a great scorer in the NHL and gives the Islanders a power forward, which the organization lacks.

8. Phoenix Coyotes – F Peter Mueller (Everett)
The Coyotes would have love to see Sheppard drop, however getting Mueller is a great consolation prize. Mueller has a great all-around game and will be able to use his play making ability to set up the likes of Doan and Nagy.

9. Minnesota Wild – F Kyle Okposo (Des Moines)
One of the worst secrets of this draft is that the Wild are in love with Okposo. The local kid fits the Wild style of the play to a T. He’s a big kid that will be able to create space for the smaller players in Minnesota.

10. Florida Panthers – D Nigel Williams (USA U-18)
The Panthers have some great forward prospects, but really lack anyone on the backend. Williams is one of the biggest make or break prospects of this draft. He has great size but is extremely raw. He could develop into a key shutdown defensemen or just be another big kid who we never hear about again.

11. Los Angeles Kings – F Derrick Brassard (Drummondville)
The Kings once again luck out and draft a guy with top 10 talent but slips under the radar. Brassard will provide the Kings with a top-end offensive player and though they make have other needs his talent is to good to pass up at this point in the draft.

12. Atlanta Thrashers – D Bob Sanguinetti (Owen Sound)
There is no question the Thrashers are on the verge of making the playoffs. They have many of the building blocks needed to build a championship team. However, the one thing they do lack is quarterback on the power play. Sanguinetti is a great offensive defenseman and has the ability to run the Thrashers power play.

13. Toronto Maple Leafs – F Jiri Tlusty (Klando)
The Leafs would be very happy to see Tlusty drop to them at 13. Tlusty has top 10 talent and would fit in with the two-way game new coach Paul Maurice is going to employ in Toronto. Tlusty is the pick over Bryan Little as he is more of goal-scorer than a playmaker.

14. Vancouver Canucks – F Bryan Little (Barrie)
The Canucks have no prospects with the top-end talent that Little has. Though there are question about his size, in the new NHL Little will have no problem being a great player. Little has great play-making ability that could allow the Canucks to move Brendan Morrison down the road.

15. Tampa Bay Lightning – F Chris Stewart (Kingston)
The Lightning go with Best Player Available as they could draft someone at any position. Jonathan Bernier will also be considered here but they need talent up front more than they need it in goal.

16. Montreal Canadiens – D Ty Wishart (Prince George)
The Canadiens were drooling at the fact they could land Stewart. However, Wishart is still a good defensive prospect. Though he struggled at the U-18’s his talent and size is too much for the Canadiens to pass up here, as they need help on the blueline.

17. Minnesota Wild (Via Edmonton) – F Michael Grabner (Spokane)
The Wild take a goal scorer in Grabner with their second first round pick. They addressed the need of a banger with Okposo however; they still need someone who can put the puck in the net. Grabner proved he could score in junior and it will be seen if he can do the same in the NHL.

18. Colorado Avalanche – D Brian Strait (USA U-18)
The Avalanche are lacking defensive prospects and Strait is defensive prospect who does nothing wrong. With that being said he does not really stand out in any area either. Strait will be solid defenseman for years to come. He won’t be a top pairing guy but will be solid contributor.

19. Anaheim Mighty Ducks – F Ondrej Fiala (Everett)
The Mighty Ducks are lacking size up front and with Getzlaf joining the NHL ranks have no prospects down the middle. Fiala is a two-way centre with a decent scoring touch and could be solid third liner down the road for the Ducks.

20. San Jose Sharks – F Cory Emmerton (Kingston)
Emmerton stock has been dropping slightly because of his size but he still has top 15 talent. The Sharks are lacking depth down the middle and Emmerton could be a solid player in the future for the Sharks. Emmerton is fast and two-way player things the Sharks defiantly look for.

21. New York Rangers – F Nick Foligno (Sudbury)
The Rangers are finally adapting to a team style of hockey and Foligno fits in perfectly with that mentality. Foligno is a smart player who can play both wing and centre. He can play on any line and is able to change his playing style from offensive to defensive checker.

22. Philadelphia Flyers – D Ben Shutron (Kingston)
The Flyers are lacking depth in many areas prospect wise. Shutron is a very good defenseman with some good offensive upside. There are many defensemen who the Flyers will consider at this pick but Shutron is probably the best available.

23. New Jersey Devils – D Mark Mitera (Michigan)
The Devils do not have a lot of depth on the blueline. Mitera is a smart player who will fit in well with the Devils organization. Though he struggled against top end talent at the WJHC, he will overcome that playing in the Devils organization.

24. Calgary Flames – F Cal Clutterbuck (Oshawa)
The Flames and Darryl Sutter love the hard hitting, gritty players and Clutterbuck fits that mold. There is no player who has outstanding offensive potential left so the Flames stick to selecting hard working players.

25. Washington (Via Nashville) – D Ivan Vishnevski (Rouyn Noranda)
The Capitals after taking Backstrom early in the first line look to improve their blueline depth with this pick. Vishnevski is a great puck moving defensemen and could become another Sergei Gonchar in Washington.

26. Buffalo Sabres – F Michael Forney (Thief River Falls)
The Sabres lack depth on the left hand side and with a younger team in the NHL can afford to let Forney develop. Forney is a good all-around player who is able to put the puck in the net.

27. St. Louis Blues (Via Carolina) – F Claude Giroux (Gatineau)
The Blues took Johnson with the first overall pick, passing up on offensive talent Kessel. Though you never put Giroux and Kessel in the same category, Giroux put up 103 points in the QMJHL this season and could help the Blues offensively down the road.

28. Dallas Stars – F Jesse Joensuu (Assat)
The Stars love their Finns and even though Joensuu has been dropping like a rock he still has tremendous talent. The Stars a take a flyer on a prospect who can turn out to be elite scoring winger or someone who never crosses the Atlantic and plays in the NHL.

29. Ottawa Senators – F Patrick Berglund (Vasteras)
The Senators are happy to see Berglund drop to them at the end of the first round. The Sens don’t have any needs and go BPA. Berglund has top-end talent it’s just a matter if he can put it all together. Make take a while to develop but will have plenty of time in the Senators organization.

30. Detroit Red Wings – D David Fischer (Apple Valley)
The Red Wings are great at finding talent and Fischer is certainly that. He could go anywhere from mid-first round on just depends on how much a team likes him. The Red Wings can allow Fischer to develop and he could turn out to be another great steal for the Wings.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Great effort, but there are a few too many guys who have stalled or fallen in development that are in this first round IMO like Joensuu, Foligno, Shutron, Williams, and Emmerton.

I like the Sheppard pick alot. I think he's one to leapfrog some of the more hyped.

jamiedx

Aug 21, 2004
Balej's Dance said:
Great effort, but there are a few too many guys who have stalled or fallen in development that are in this first round IMO like Joensuu, Foligno, Shutron, Williams, and Emmerton.

I like the Sheppard pick alot. I think he's one to leapfrog some of the more hyped.
I think because of the lack of top end talent on defense. You'll see guys like Williams and Shutron get selected in the first round. Emmerton is a player that teams love and with his talent will be go in round 1. Yes your right Joensuu and Foligno could go as easily in round 1 as they could in rouond 2 or 3.

Richard_Zednik said:
Don Maclean already stated that he would pick one of Brassard, Mueller, Backstrom, Kessel, Toews
Means nothing. He could very easily change his mind.

King Henry I said:
I'd be surprised to see the Isles take Sheppard but I've been wrong before. The only thing is that we already have several players like him in our farm system.
Yes the Islanders do have a couple guys who can put the puck in the net. None of the them have the size of Sheppard. Not everyone can score from the outside.

jamiedx

Aug 21, 2004
Richard_Zednik said:
I really dont think so... i think his pick will end up being Brassard or Mueller.
There pick could very easily be one of the those two. However, IMO Frolik if he plays to his potential will be better players than both Mueller or Brassard.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
King Henry I said:
I'd be surprised to see the Isles take Sheppard but I've been wrong before. The only thing is that we already have several players like him in our farm system.

Uhhhh no you don't... Sheppard has PPG talent, and plays a physical game. There's no one in your system that has potential to put up 30 goals ALONG with 50+ assists.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
jamiedx said:
Yes the Islanders do have a couple guys who can put the puck in the net. None of the them have the size of Sheppard. Not everyone can score from the outside.
O'Marra, Nokelainen, Colliton, Comeau and Tunik are all more or less the exact same size as Sheppard, though admittedly, Tunik is looking a bit like a bust these days. Personally, I think Sheppard's offensive ceiling may be a bit higher than these guys', but I don't think it's by enough to warrant using a #7 pick when there are higher level offensive talents available. Moreover, if size is such a question, why not take Mueller or Okposo? Most scouts seem to prefer their offensive potential and they're also pretty much the exact same size as Sheppard.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
jamiedx said:
7. New York Islanders – F James Sheppard (Cape Breton)
The Islanders have some great two-way forward prospects but no elite scoring power forwards. Sheppard has the potential to be a great scorer in the NHL and gives the Islanders a power forward, which the organization lacks.

A lot of good info.Thanks :yo:

Prospects Comeau and Tunik should both be in Bridgeport this coming season.I've heard both described as powerfowards or potential powerforwards.Tunik's still learning English and adjusting to his 1st yr in NA.

I have to wonder if having these two in the organization,wouldn't play a part in the isles picking Sheppard.

shelley1142

Fire Howson!
Mar 18, 2006
Sarasota, Fl
Columbus will most likely pass on Frolik. They're looking at guys like Brassard, Meuller, or any of the top five that just happen to fall down to us at # 6.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
jamiedx said:
19. Anaheim Mighty Ducks – F Ondrej Fiala (Everett)
The Mighty Ducks are lacking size up front and with Getzlaf joining the NHL ranks have no prospects down the middle. Fiala is a two-way centre with a decent scoring touch and could be solid third liner down the road for the Ducks.

While I wouldn't mind Fiala at that point, but I completely disagree with that statement. Getzlaf, Penner, and Ryan are great potential power forwards, and even Perry isn't small.

Corona-12

May 17, 2006
BC, Canada
jamiedx said:
9. Minnesota Wild – F Kyle Okposo (Des Moines)
One of the worst secrets of this draft is that the Wild are in love with Okposo. The local kid fits the Wild style of the play to a T. He’s a big kid that will be able to create space for the smaller players in Minnesota.

Is 6 feet tall, and a few pounds under 200 really that big? I'm not disagreeing with your draft, you did a good job, however I think people are overrating Okposo's size. Hes going t be a good player, but he won't be able to create as much space as some people suggest...

btw, Canucks pick rocks! :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad