Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
1. Alexander Ovechkin (Washington)
2. Evgeni Malkin (Pittsburgh)
3. Rostislav Olesz (Chicago)
4. Cam Barker (Columbus)
I think the top four is pretty much straight forward. Chicago may grab Barker at three but after drafting Seabrook last year and losing Zhamnov this year I think they'll go for a center.
5. Wojtek Wolski (Phoenix)
6. Andrew Ladd (NY Rangers)
7. Lauri Tukonen (Florida)
I think these three will be the next drafted and it is really a toss up on who gets drafted before each other.
8. Wes O'Neill (Carolina)
Carolina may suprise and draft a goalie but with former first round pick Cam Ward in the system I think they will look at improving their D.
9. Rob Schremp (Anaheim)
Ducks are delighted that Schremp is still available and duly draft him.
10. A.J. Thelen (Atlanta)
Probably the biggest improver in terms of stock rising, the thrashers draft Thelen a teammate of top prospect Jim Slater.
11. Marek Schwarz (Los Angeles)
With the Kings looking for a franchise goalie they duly draft Schwarz the best goaltender in the draft.
12. Alexandre Picard (Minnesota)
13. Drew Stafford (Buffalo)
Both Minnesota and Buffalo are looking at best players available with their picks and Picard and Stafford are probably are the best available at this point.
14. Alvaro Montoya (Edmonton)
Although Conklin and Markkanen had pretty good seasons, a year ago they weren't so good therefore I think they would probably draft Montoya the next best goaltender in the draft.

thestonedkoala

Top 5 fine

New York won't pass up on Schremp, they need a center

Tukonen looks good in Florida

O'Neill is a good fit in Carolina or better Thelen, it's hard to say...

Anaheim might take O'Neill or the best avaliable player, hard to say...

Atlanta will take Stafford as they have a need for a good solid center

Montoya will go to Los Angeles, Taylor likes NCAA goalies

IF Stafford falls unexpectedly, watch Minnesota grab him over Picard, they could use another guy like Stafford (moving Bouchard to wing for his career).

Edmonton looks good for a goalie.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
thestonedkoala said:
Top 5 fine

New York won't pass up on Schremp, they need a center

Tukonen looks good in Florida

O'Neill is a good fit in Carolina or better Thelen, it's hard to say...

Anaheim might take O'Neill or the best avaliable player, hard to say...

Atlanta will take Stafford as they have a need for a good solid center

Montoya will go to Los Angeles, Taylor likes NCAA goalies

IF Stafford falls unexpectedly, watch Minnesota grab him over Picard, they could use another guy like Stafford (moving Bouchard to wing for his career).

Edmonton looks good for a goalie.

I agree that the Rangers need a center but I have read somewhere that they are really high on Ladd.
I don't think Atlanta would take Stafford given that they have a top prospect in Slater ready to play in the pros to go with Savard emerging as a point per game player and Stefan's strong finish to this season.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Schremp/ Ladd is a toss up for the Rangers. They did come away very impressed with Ladd in interviews, etc. but Schremp has that attractice upside.

Flip a coin on em, but push comes to shove my guess is that they take Ladd.

Though it could be a mute point if Columbus grabs Ladd at 4 which is also very possible.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Again, if Olesz is gone, the Coyotes will take Ladd or Tukonen before they take Schremp or Wolski.

CoolburnIsGone

That 3rd pick is definitely a swing pick. If Chicago takes Barker, then Columbus will probably trade down. FL could be willing to trade up or down depending on that as well (considering that Dudley has traded down the last 2 yrs to still get the guy he coveted). This yr's draft is basically in the hands of Chicago IMO because it could cause some real snowballing to occur.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
RichPanther said:
That 3rd pick is definitely a swing pick. If Chicago takes Barker, then Columbus will probably trade down. FL could be willing to trade up or down depending on that as well (considering that Dudley has traded down the last 2 yrs to still get the guy he coveted). This yr's draft is basically in the hands of Chicago IMO because it could cause some real snowballing to occur.

ya chicago's pick is important, i don't find it simple to say that its up to them to decide the draft. I'm sure Olesz will go to the hawks and Barker to the jackets. But I really think the draft hinges on Phoenix, they have so many options. Will they take Schremp, who they don't need, or Ladd, perhaps Tukonen, my guess is Ladd. OK OK, so maybe i think Phoenix is the hinge of the draft just because they're ahead of the rangers. Still I don't believe the draft will be based around 1 pick, maybe 2 or 3 teams will be affected but thats about it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Why do the Oilers draft Montoya when they just drafted Deslauriers 2 years ago? I don't know all that much, but is he flaming out/going unsigned?

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
go kim johnsson said:
Why do the Oilers draft Montoya when they just drafted Deslauriers 2 years ago? I don't know all that much, but is he flaming out/going unsigned?
Because it's never a bad thing to have goalie prospects. From what I've read, the Oilers are high on Montoya as well. The Oilers will think about the future.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:

According to everything I've heard it's a great goaltender draft. With 3 picks early on in the draft it makes sense to grab one prospect at the position the draft is deepest in.

Not many teams pin their hopes on one goalie prospect either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->