My letter to the NHLPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I have never been more disgusted as a hockey fan in my life as it's becoming more and more apparent that your union the past weekend used my love and devotion as a bargaining tool in a negotation war that you were losing. Honestly, I can't think of anything more disgusting that what you guys did.

I have always admired the NHL hockey player and one of the reasons I was a hockey fan first over any other sport was because I believed that you guys were warriors on ice who played that game for the love of it and not the all mighty dollar, something that before this lockout I felt was lost on the sports world except in the NHL, that you guys were the last frontier of playing the game for the love of it.

But you guys destroyed that in the worst possible way with your conduct in New York this past weekend by taking and using our dedication and love for the game and for that I'll never forgive you or care less if there is another NHL game to be ever played.

Take Care,

Ron Bolton

http://www.nhlpa.com/feedback/index.asp

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Lou is God said:
I have never been more disgusted as a hockey fan in my life as it's becoming more and more apparent that your union the past weekend used my love and devotion as a bargaining tool in a negotation war that you were losing. Honestly, I can't think of anything more disgusting that what you guys did.

I have always admired the NHL hockey player and one of the reasons I was a hockey fan first over any other sport was because I believed that you guys were warriors on ice who played that game for the love of it and not the all mighty dollar, something that before this lockout I felt was lost on the sports world except in the NHL, that you guys were the last frontier of playing the game for the love of it.

But you guys destroyed that in the worst possible way with your conduct in New York this past weekend by taking and using our dedication and love for the game and for that I'll never forgive you or care less if there is another NHL game to be ever played.

Take Care,

Ron Bolton

Great letter...I couldn't agree more, the problem here is that most of the players feel the same way...but the guy driving the bus is emotionally detached from the NHL, unlike fans and players...he is a $$$$$$$ guy, and Bettman is a #####'s guy...and therin lies our problem. Glad you sent them the letter though!

Member 23807

I too agree. Your sentiments are bang on. Here are my thoughts :

I have been very critical in the way in which the media has handled the coverage of the NHL CBA negotiations. I continue to believe that there has been an over-riding trend throughout the past six months whereby the media is increasingly reporting rumors as fact, when in fact there is nothing to substantiate those claims.

If that isn't enough to put a dagger in the heart of hockey fans, fast forward to Sunday when the NHLPA decided to issue a press release indicating that the meeting held on Saturday was requested by the NHL, as was the attendance of Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux. I find this to be absolutely unforgivable.

We all know that during these types of negotiations, it is not uncommon for the media to be used by the PR machines of each side. Afterall, PR can be the difference between the union having it's way or vice-versa. However, never in my years have I seen a party be so irresponsible and disrespectful. The NHLPA has intentionly manipulated the media and the fans in a manner that is unconscionable. It is one thing to sway public opinion in your favor through the use of PR, but it's quite another to intentially deceit the public.

In Gretzky's Press Release to the NY Post, he all but confirmed what Gary Bettman had mentioned during his interview with the WFan Radio Station. If it wasn't clear before, it should be now, the NHLPA could care less about its fans or the game of hockey. They took arguably two of the greatest players in NHL history to a bargaining session knowing full well what was to follow.

Who suffers in all of this? The fans! This isn't about whether you are pro-NHL or pro-NHLPA. This is about saving the game that fans have come to adore. It is absolutely unforgiveable to me that the NHLPA and its members would treat their fans in this manner. If this was just a select few within the NHLPA executive committee who orchestrated this, then the notion that players need to regain control of the union is more critical now than ever before. We have heard many times throughout this process that the players are the product. That may be true, but perhaps it's time the players come to the realization that without the fans there is no NHL nor the big pay cheques that go along with it.

PJStyles

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The players right now, for the most part, I would guess feel like they are holding an angry bull by the horns. They know that they want to get out of where they are, but they are afraid of what will happen if they let go.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Real meaning behind this Fight from a Players point of View

Its only a drop in the Ocean to the players

NHL Athletes are proud and dedicated and talented and stubborn all rolled up into one ..

When they see other Pro Athletes in other sports making Big $$ they to feel they deserve to be recognized for the sacrifice they make to themselves to entertain the fans..

Other then possibly Football, the chance for injury due to the Sport makes Hockey either first of second on the list.. That in turn leads to a shorter Career as a result.

A Baseball player can play for years and years to earn his living while a Pro Hockey player's window is small in comparison, and as a result they feel they should be compensated for that..

The owners should not treat them like they are disposable and easily replaceable and just pieces of meat that allow them to line their pockets either.

While I agree they threw away this year Salary ..They also are fighting for not just their money but for the future Hockey players just like the league is for survival.

When a soldier goes to war and gives his life for his country that serves by his sacrifice he hopes a better life for others to come after him. He is not fighting for himself but a greater cause and belief.

I am sure the NHLers of today see this battle the same way. You have heard mention of it, players referencing the sacrifice made by the players in the 1994-95 work stoppage and what the players gave up & did for them today.

If they want their children or friends children to have an opportunity to play the game they love in the Future and make a decent living at it then this fight does have meaning and NO HARD CAP stance and position understandable from their perspective..

Canada will always be fine as its our national sport ..However for the long term future of growing the game in the USA there has to be a Financial reward at the end of the Rainbow for the young kids just starting out.

If the other BIG 3 sports in the States Football, Basketball and Baseball all offer considerably more Financial reward and long term employment, then what would motivate parents to enrol and kids to choose Hockey rather then one of the others, considering it would already be going against the norm and popularity vote ??

This is just one Battle ..the War is actually much bigger and the events and outcomes of this far more long term impacting.

Once a Hard Cap & Linkage is in place in the NHL .. It will NEVER EVER be removed again in a future CBA negotiations, nor through the courts.

This generation of Hockey Players does not want to leave that legacy behind as the ones who gave in, lost, or did not fight the good fight and took the easy way out and money on the Table today.

They will soldier on and fight till the very end and if a Hard Cap is the end result they are going to make the Courts decide the fate of the NHL future just like it did to the NFL ... and the millions $$$ they are sacrificing for that, pales in comparison to the amount that will be lost by the next generations to come if they give up without a fight

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Messenger said:
Canada will always be fine as its our national sport ..However for the long term future of growing the game in the USA there has to be a Financial reward at the end of the Rainbow for the young kids just starting out.

If the other BIG 3 sports in the States Football, Basketball and Baseball all offer considerably more Financial reward and long term employment, then what would motivate parents to enrol and kids to choose Hockey rather then one of the others, considering it would already be going against the norm and popularity vote ??

So put the effort into growing the sport so the owners and players are not fighting over scraps. That comes from labor peace and working together to increase things that the fans want . . . in most sports this would be scoring.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
RE: Messenger garbage

Did you just compare someone dying for their country during a war to the NHLPAs stance!?

Did you just metion fighting for a 'decent' living!?

Did you just mention parents enroll kids in sports based on possible payouts in pro leagues?!

Are all your posts this rediculous?

Last edited:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
So Messenger, their strong beliefs, as misguided as they may be, gives them the right to do what they did this past weekend? That's real nice too know. :shakehead

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Lou is God said:

Okay, Lou is God. Time to go away now, since obviously you don't care if the NHL ever plays another game. Go home now. We'll miss you. Bye bye.

(If you're still on this board, we'll have to assume you DO care about the NHL and its future, and therefore are being more dishonest than you claim the NHLPA was. Ironic, ain't it?)

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
gc2005 said:
Okay, Lou is God. Time to go away now, since obviously you don't care if the NHL ever plays another game. Go home now. We'll miss you. Bye bye.

(If you're still on this board, we'll have to assume you DO care about the NHL and its future, and therefore are being more dishonest than you claim the NHLPA was. Ironic, ain't it?)
Uh, is this a hockey futures board, not just NHL, or shall I go into more detail to explain this? And I'll decided when I'll stay or leave, could you be anymore pompous with this post?

And when did I say I would never come back? I said I could care less if they don't come back and I honestly don't. But if they do come back they are going to have to earn my trust again, there is no doubt about that. Try reading a little more carefully before you insult your fellow posters around here like this, ok?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
BTW, I am not angry at the players Lou, nor am I contemplating not coming back to the game when they return. How can I be angry with anyone who is lashing out and keeps stabbing themselves instead? I do have a strange facination watching though, sort of how you can not turn away from watching a car wreck. The players are actually doing the fans a favor though, long term. By so thoroughly self destructing we likely will not have to go through this again for a long long time.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Jaded-Fan said:
BTW, I am not angry at the players Lou, nor am I contemplating not coming back to the game when they return. How can I be angry with anyone who is lashing out and keeps stabbing themselves instead? I do have a strange facination watching though, sort of how you can not turn away from watching a car wreck. The players are actually doing the fans a favor though, long term. By so thoroughly self destructing we likely will not have to go through this again for a long long time.
Before this weekend neither was I angry at the players, I was pro-owners but I respected the players right to do what they felt was best for themselves, but not at our emotional expense in a obvious dirty trick using us as a tool. In time I'll probably forgive and forget but it will take sometime before that happens and I felt it was important that the union understand that they can't take my devotion granted like they did so callously this past weekend.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Lou is God said:
Before this weekend neither was I angry at the players, I was pro-owners but I respected the players right to do what they felt was best for themselves, but not at our emotional expense in a obvious dirty trick using us as a tool. In time I'll probably forgive and forget but it will take sometime before that happens and I felt it was important that the union understand that they can't take my devotion granted like they did so callously this past weekend.

Hey, I told you to be skeptical about those 'deal is done' reports at the time Lou . . . ;)

Though admittedly I wanted to believe to at the time. I just left the board and watched the movie 'Miracle' to take care of my hockey Jones last night. It seemed appropriate to celebrate the good things in hockey.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Jaded-Fan said:
Hey, I told you to be skeptical about those 'deal is done' reports at the time Lou . . . ;)

Though admittedly I wanted to believe to at the time. I just left the board and watched the movie 'Miracle' to take care of my hockey Jones last night. It seemed appropriate to celebrate the good things in hockey.
Well, at the time thinking I was getting my hockey fix back while being on a ton of beers was a REAL bad combination. Plus never in a million years did I think the players were capable of pulling something like this.

If you get ESPN Classic you can take that one step further, they are replaying the 1980 USA-USSR Olympic game tonight and then the Finland game where they won the Gold Medal is on Thursday night.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
gc2005 said:

I must still be asleep and dreaming of an alternate reality where one can not have an opinion. How foolish of me.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Dr Love said:
I must still be asleep and dreaming of an alternate reality where one can not have an opinion. How foolish of me.

My man Bush is working on it . . . give us time Doc, give us time . . . . ;)

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Dr Love said:

Go ahead and have an opinion all you want. But can anyone honestly say here, at a hockey board, that they don't care if the NHL ever plays another game? Hate the players as much as you want, but at the very least I would think all hockey and NHL fans would want the NHL back.

Greenback

Feb 2, 2005
MB.CA
gc2005 said:
Go ahead and have an opinion all you want. But can anyone honestly say here, at a hockey board, that they don't care if the NHL ever plays another game? Hate the players as much as you want, but at the very least I would think all hockey and NHL fans would want the NHL back.

Nope. If the NHL folds I don't care. I am a hockey fan and the only thing tha matters is that a sustainable premier league exists so I can watch hockey at its highest level. If the NHL folds, another league will fill that void.

NHL != Hockey. They are two separate entities.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
The Messenger said:
(Skip overly dramatic :nopity: )

This generation of Hockey Players does not want to leave that legacy behind as the ones who gave in, lost, or did not fight the good fight and took the easy way out and money on the Table today.

:lol

Where have you been? That bunch of cockroaches have traditionally always dumped their concessions on future generation of players. In the last CBA, they did their best to get the best deal for themselves and all the concessions were to upcoming young players in the form of rookie contracts.

You are dead wrong. The players do not get a **** about future generations of players. They are only vein, selfish guys thinking about their own asses. Once in a while they will get flowery and tell you they are fighting for others but that is only a weak, pathetic PR-lie move for the extremely gullible.

PredsFan77*

Lou is God said:

Take Care,

Ron Bolton

Dear Ron,

Thank you for wasting 15 seconds of my time. Good luck finding another sport.

Regards,

Boob Goodenow

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
gc2005 said:
Greenback beat me too it. Hockey and the NHL aren't the same thing.

A Good Flying Bird*

chiavsfan said:
I wrote the NHLPA as well....you know what they do with it? They print it on soft paper, and wipe their behinds with it

But I bet if I wrote Bettman and the NHL owners a letter, they'd take it to heart, because they're such swell guys.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Its only a drop in the Ocean to the players

NHL Athletes are proud and dedicated and talented and stubborn all rolled up into one ..

When they see other Pro Athletes in other sports making Big $$ they to feel they deserve to be recognized for the sacrifice they make to themselves to entertain the fans..

Other then possibly Football, the chance for injury due to the Sport makes Hockey either first of second on the list.. That in turn leads to a shorter Career as a result.

A Baseball player can play for years and years to earn his living while a Pro Hockey player's window is small in comparison, and as a result they feel they should be compensated for that..

The owners should not treat them like they are disposable and easily replaceable and just pieces of meat that allow them to line their pockets either.

While I agree they threw away this year Salary ..They also are fighting for not just their money but for the future Hockey players just like the league is for survival.

When a soldier goes to war and gives his life for his country that serves by his sacrifice he hopes a better life for others to come after him. He is not fighting for himself but a greater cause and belief.

I am sure the NHLers of today see this battle the same way. You have heard mention of it, players referencing the sacrifice made by the players in the 1994-95 work stoppage and what the players gave up & did for them today.

If they want their children or friends children to have an opportunity to play the game they love in the Future and make a decent living at it then this fight does have meaning and NO HARD CAP stance and position understandable from their perspective..

This is just one Battle ..the War is actually much bigger and the events and outcomes of this far more long term impacting.

Once a Hard Cap & Linkage is in place in the NHL .. It will NEVER EVER be removed again in a future CBA negotiations, nor through the courts.

They will soldier on and fight till the very end and if a Hard Cap is the end result they are going to make the Courts decide the fate of the NHL future just like it did to the NFL ... and the millions $$$ they are sacrificing for that, pales in comparison to the amount that will be lost by the next generations to come if they give up without a fight
:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->