My first NHL fantasy team - update!

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?
At my workplace today, we had our NHL fantasy draft (we realize it was a late pool). Now I will preface this with I didn't realize how stupidly and Pejorative Slured OP goalies are in the Yahoo system (4 points for a win (!)).

This is my team:
1) Tarasenko STL RW
2) Hedman TB D
3) Pastrnak BOS RW
4) Gaudreau CGY LW
5) Doughty LA D
6) Toews CHI C
7) Arvidsson NSH LW, RW
8) Darling CAR G
9) Mackinnion COL C
10) Point TB C, RW
11) Seabrook CHI D
12) Goligoski ARI D
13) Zibanejad NYR C
14) Orlov WSH D
15) Raanta ARI G
16) Johnson TB C

Yes, I know I'm an idiot, no need to rub it in. I was very frustrated that I spent hours on the draft and a girl at my workplace just autodrafted and she got a better team than me. I am projected to be about the lower-middle of the pool. Obviously I want to avoid that.

Please give advice so that I can fix my team (goaltending problem first of all) . I've already waived Johnson and I know who I am going to pick up on waivers (either one of Panik, Bratt or Hartman).

A lot of the pool knows I am dealing from a position of weakness when looking for a goalie. My only hope is to hit up the non-regular hockey watching people in the pool.

Some players I am looking at getting (in no particular order):
1) Lundqvist NYR G
2) Rinne NSH G
3) Guentzel PIT C, LW
4) Shattenkirk NYR D
5) Schultz PIT D
6) Andersen TOR G
7) Holtby WSH G
8) Klefbom EDM D

I feel like these players I can realistically acquire because the people who have them don't follow hockey regularly and mostly autodrafted.

Let me know what you guys think.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I'd avoid trying to pick up Lundqvist, based on his age and bit of a decline he's showing in the last year. To make matters worse, I don't think that Pavelec can be trusted to win games as a back up, which means Lundqvist won't be able to rest much - making him more prone to injury (which I've read is a concern for him).

I'd personally target Holtby then Anderson, assuming the cost isn't astronomical.

Mabakker93

Oct 12, 2017
Id try to get Andersen or an undervalued goalie. Take a lot to get holtby or goalies drafted high

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?
I'd avoid trying to pick up Lundqvist, based on his age and bit of a decline he's showing in the last year. To make matters worse, I don't think that Pavelec can be trusted to win games as a back up, which means Lundqvist won't be able to rest much - making him more prone to injury (which I've read is a concern for him).

I'd personally target Holtby then Anderson, assuming the cost isn't astronomical.

razor2112

Aug 2, 2017
New York
Since you say some are not hockey savvy, or fantasy hockey savvy, I’d target in this order,

Holtby, Shattenkirk & Guentzel, then maybe Klefbom. If you need another goalie add Anderson being that Raanta is hurt and Darling has never been a No. 1 NHL goalie.

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?
Since you say some are not hockey savvy, or fantasy hockey savvy, I’d target in this order,

Holtby, Shattenkirk & Guentzel, then maybe Klefbom. If you need another goalie add Anderson being that Raanta is hurt and Darling has never been a No. 1 NHL goalie.

Thanks. For goalies, it's turning out that the people in my league are extortionists.

RonTextall

Dec 16, 2007
Ottawa
Which goalies are FA? Someone like Reimer, Hutchinson, Neuvirth could win the starting job at some point. Also, watch for injuries and grab the backup if available. Peter Budaj won 27 games with a 2.12 GAA last season(!). There are some very good backups out there (Saros, Pickard, Korpisalo, Dell).

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?
The following goalies are available through FA:

Greiss (NYI) - Waivers, not FA
Condon - OTT
Khudobin - BOS
Bernier - COL
Mrazek - DET
Kinaid - NJ
Dominigue - ARI
Forsberg - CHI
Stalock - MIN
Neuvirth - PHI
Brossoit - EDM
Berra - ANA
Saros - NSH
Pavelec - NYR
Grubauer - WSH

Not great choices, and they all are clearly number twos (i.e. not going to play a lot of games) with the exception of Greiss. I would have no problem picking up like a Saros, but right now, he doesn't play enough to justify it.

I am going to try trading Tarasenko or either Vasilevskiy or Bobrovsky. I seriously need any starting goalie. Raanta is hurt and Darling's value isn't great (because Carolina is terrible). Basically, since the start of the season I've had no fantasy production from my goalies.

Someone offered me Mike Smith and Keith Thachuk for Victor Hedman and David Pastrnak. I mean I may not be the smartest fantasy guy in the world, but I know a bad deal when I see one.

Last edited:

klassic

Jul 30, 2014
What are your stats? Sounds like a points league, so what is the value for each stat. That will determine who to target for improvement.

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?
Scoring is G(3), A(2), PPP(1), SOG(0.4), and for goalies it’s Wins(4), SV(0.2), SO(4).

So far I've traded:

Toews
Darling
Brown

for

Gibson
Palat
Greiss

Picked up:
Ryan Miller
Brown (traded for Greiss, see above)

I desperately want to get rid of Orlov and Goligoski. I have to be careful about adding FAs because our league has a limit of 30 adds during the season.

I will try to improve my defense by trading Palat for Klefbom/Maatta/something like that.
I also might to pick up Schmaltz since he's healthy again.

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?
Hey guys,

So it's been three weeks since the hockey pool has started and my team has made a lot of changes.

In:
1) Huberdeau (claimed Dadonov as FA, then traded Dadonov for Huberdeau)
2) Lee (FA)
3) Gibson (traded Toews and Darling for him and Palat (dropped Palat for Dadonov)
4) Greiss (traded Dustin Brown for him)
5) Sergachev (FA)
6) Heed (FA)

Out:
1) Toews
2) Darling
3) Goligoski
4) Orlov
5) Raanta
6) Johnson

My current roster is:
1) Tarasenko STL RW - Great as expected.
2) Pastrnak BOS RW - Has been pretty good, BOS has been terrible.
3) Point TB C, RW - Solid sleeper pick at the draft.
4) Gaudreau CGY LW - Great as expected.
5) Huberdeau FLA LW - New pickup.
6) Arvidsson NSH LW, RW - Currently waiting for him to show up in games
7) Lee NYI LW - New pickup.
8) Zibanejad NYR C - See Pastrnak (replace BOS with NYR).
9) Mackinnon COL C - See Arvidsson
10) Hedman TB D - Slow start to the season.
11) Doughty LA D - Been great
12) Sergachev TB D - Dynamite pickup.
13) Seabrook CHI D - If Heed keeps it up, then Seabrook is definitely on the bench
14) Heed SJ D - Definitely a sleeper pick
15) Gibson ANA G - Feels good to have a #1 goaltender.
16) Greiss NYI G - Wish he would be played more.

If I had any concerns, I would say my center and goaltending depth aren't great (my goaltending is a lot better than what it was though). I am happy with the talent on my left/right wing and my defense.
I am currently 7th out of 14 teams (up until middle of last week, I was 13th). So a big improvement.

Any thoughts/comments/tips?

Noly

Mar 3, 2014
Hey guys,

So it's been three weeks since the hockey pool has started and my team has made a lot of changes.

Any thoughts/comments/tips?

Just curious, is this a pool with bench spots? As in, could you drop a defensemen and pick up a goalie, and only be able to have two of your three goalies active at once but also rotate goalies to get more wins?

4pts per goalie win seems awful steep and if you can do this, I think you should.

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?
Just curious, is this a pool with bench spots? As in, could you drop a defensemen and pick up a goalie, and only be able to have two of your three goalies active at once but also rotate goalies to get more wins?

4pts per goalie win seems awful steep and if you can do this, I think you should.

I would but there are no starting goalies left. The highest pointed goalie right now (who isn't injured) is Kindald.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad