My Childhood Was Brought Back To Me

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
I must admit, the tears were welling up in my eyes when they announced to newest additions to Legends Row. Kudos to Brendan Shanahan and the Leafs organization for honouring perhaps the key players of the 60's dynasty.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I know my Dad is happy. Hopfully now Keon is willing to sign more leafs memoribila.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The thing I respect most about Shanahan is he was a kid who grew up a Leafs fan like all of us who knows the history and the ghosts and is doing the right things to put the organization back on track the right way. Ever since I was a kid watching Cliff Fletcher mortgage the future year after year, I'd think how great it would be if the Leafs had the kind of success the Detroit Red Wings did? Now it's great to have someone from that organization plot the course for us.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
The thing I respect most about Shanahan is he was a kid who grew up a Leafs fan like all of us who knows the history and the ghosts and is doing the right things to put the organization back on track the right way. Ever since I was a kid watching Cliff Fletcher mortgage the future year after year, I'd think how great it would be if the Leafs had the kind of success the Detroit Red Wings did? Now it's great to have someone from that organization plot the course for us.

That's what I love about Shanny too. How many former players are there that fit all the criteria:

1) had a Hall of Fame career
2) won multiple Stanley Cups and had the perception of being a "champion"
3) was respected by his peers for both being a top player and playing fair
4) had that ultimate "star" power
5) from Toronto or GTA

Over the last 30 years, players that fit the first 4 criteria probably include just Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Coffey, Lemieux, Jagr, Roy, Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Sakic and Forsberg.

How many of those are from the Toronto area? Gretzky, Coffey and Shanahan. Out of those 3, Shanahan has by far the most charisma and charm. Gretzky makes up for that by being Gretzky. Coffey is a distant 3rd. So the perfect person to be president of the Leafs and bridge ownership/alumni/corporates/current players/retired players/other GMs/media/coaches/fans is either Gretzky or Shanahan. If we can't have Gretzky, then Shanny is the next best thing.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
5) from Toronto or GTA

Over the last 30 years, players that fit the first 4 criteria probably include just Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Coffey, Lemieux, Jagr, Roy, Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Sakic and Forsberg.

I'd add Scott Niedermayer to that list as well, he has won everything.

2x WHL, Memorial Cup, World Juniors, World Cup, World Championship, 2x Olympics, 4x Stanley Cup.

Conn Smythe
Norris
1st ballot hall of famer

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That's what I love about Shanny too. How many former players are there that fit all the criteria:

5) from Toronto or GTA

How many of those are from the Toronto area? Gretzky, Coffey and Shanahan. Out of those 3, Shanahan has by far the most charisma and charm. Gretzky makes up for that by being Gretzky. Coffey is a distant 3rd. So the perfect person to be president of the Leafs and bridge ownership/alumni/corporates/current players/retired players/other GMs/media/coaches/fans is either Gretzky or Shanahan. If we can't have Gretzky, then Shanny is the next best thing.

Shanahan comes across as a lot smarter than Gretzky. Gretzky and coaching never made much sense and he doesn't have much of a career as a manager. He seems like a better fit like a Wendel Clark style alumni who makes the rounds than a serious hockey executive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad