My 32 Team NHL

Eshutz Escors

Sep 5, 2005
32 teams, 4 divisions in each conference like the NFL, 82 game season.

Western Conference:

San Jose
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Phoenix

Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
WINNIPEG (Expansion)

Dallas
Colorado
St. Louis
KANSAS CITY (Expansion)

Minnesota
Detroit
Chicago
Columbus

Eastern Conference:

Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
HAMILTON (Relocation from Nashville)

Buffalo
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

Boston
NY Rangers
NY Islanders
New Jersey

Carolina
Atlanta
Tampa Bay
Florida

6 games against each team within the division (18 games), 4 games against other teams in the conference (48 games), 1 interconference game alternating location each season (1 games). Grand total of 82 games.

8 teams per conference make the playoffs and 4 division winners get home ice in the 1st round.

Comments...?

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico

Western Conference:

San Jose
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Phoenix

Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
WINNIPEG (Expansion)

Dallas
Colorado
St. Louis
KANSAS CITY (Expansion)

Minnesota
Detroit
Chicago
Columbus

Eastern Conference:

Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto

Buffalo
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

Boston
NY Rangers
NY Islanders
New Jersey

Carolina
Atlanta
Tampa Bay
Florida

6 games against each team within the division (18 games), 4 games against other teams in the conference (48 games), 1 interconference game alternating location each season (1 games). Grand total of 82 games.

8 teams per conference make the playoffs and 4 division winners get home ice in the 1st round.

Comments...?

I'll be one to say that it looks picture perfect! But, I can't imagine it happening.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Western Conference:

San Jose
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Phoenix

Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
WINNIPEG (Expansion)

Dallas
Colorado
St. Louis
KANSAS CITY (Expansion)

Minnesota
Detroit
Chicago
Columbus

Eastern Conference:

Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto

Buffalo
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

Boston
NY Rangers
NY Islanders
New Jersey

Carolina
Atlanta
Tampa Bay
Florida

Comments...?

Using the cities you have above ai would go his way:

I want four divsions, so we can get back to having divsional playoffs like we did in the 1980's. Absolutely the best way to create rivalries.

San Jose
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Phoenix
Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Dallas
Colorado
St. Louis
Kansas City
Minnesota.
Chicago
Detroit
Atlanta

Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
Hamilton
Buffalo
Boston
Pittsburgh
Columbus

Philly
New York
New York
New Jersey
Washington
Carolina
Tampa
Florida

Top four in each divsion qualify for the playoffs

6 games vs. teams in your division
2 games vs. other division in conference
2 games vs. one division in opposing conference
1 game vs. other divsion in opposing conference (flip flopping each year)

82 games

PhotoCrasher

Jan 4, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I like the idea of four divisions within two conferences... it would make a great play-off schedule and would guarantee a team from every geographic area (especially Canada) would make the play-offs.

CaptainChara

Jul 31, 2005
Rochester, NH
www.fatsquad.com

Western Conference:

San Jose
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Phoenix

Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
WINNIPEG (Expansion)

Dallas
Colorado
St. Louis
KANSAS CITY (Expansion)

Minnesota
Detroit
Chicago
Columbus

Eastern Conference:

Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto

Buffalo
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

Boston
NY Rangers
NY Islanders
New Jersey

Carolina
Atlanta
Tampa Bay
Florida

Comments...?

I don't hate it. In fact, I kinda like it. BUT, even considering the one-sidedness :)() of it, I don't see them ever splitting the Boston/Montreal rivalry. I just don't.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
People have *****ed and complained about not getting to see the other conference every year; all this does is shorten "every 3 years" to "every 2 years" and I don't see that appeasing the group that wants to see Crosby/Ovechkin/Kopitar/etc. once a season at home.

I also don't see Detroit going along with a plan that locks them in the Western Conference for the forseeable future.

andy*

:
Using the cities you have above ai would go his way:

I want four divsions, so we can get back to having divsional playoffs like we did in the 1980's. Absolutely the best way to create rivalries.

San Jose
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Phoenix
Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Dallas
Colorado
St. Louis
Kansas City
Minnesota.
Chicago
Detroit
Atlanta

Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
Hamilton
Buffalo
Boston
Pittsburgh
Columbus

Philly
New York
New York
New Jersey
Washington
Carolina
Tampa
Florida

Top four in each divsion qualify for the playoffs

6 games vs. teams in your division
2 games vs. other division in conference
2 games vs. one division in opposing conference
1 game vs. other divsion in opposing conference (flip flopping each year)

82 games

I like this idea. And we could put 2 or 3 Original Six teams in one division.

undraftedstlouis

Sep 11, 2004
Never going to happen but what I think would help the sport in the US:

NHL1:
Anaheim
Buffalo
Calgary
Colorado
Columbus
Dallas
Detroit
Edmonton
Minnesota
Montreal
New Jersey
NY Rangers
Ottawa
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
San Jose
St. Louis
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Vancouver

play everyone 2 home, 2 away for a 76 game schedule. Top 8 have playoffs.

NHL2
East
Atlanta
Boston
Carolina
Florida
HARTFORD (Expansion)
HOUSTON (Expansion)
NY Islanders
QUEBEC CITY (Expansion)
Washington

West
Chicago
KANSAS CITY (Expansion)
Las Vegas (Expansion)
Los Angeles
MILWAUKEE (Expansion)
Phoenix
PORTLAND (Expansion)
Salt Lake City (Expansion)
SEATTLE (Expansion)
WINNIPEG (Expansion)

Play within conference 3 home, 3 away and 1 home, 1 away with other conference.

Lineups were determined on combination of attendance, performance, and general health in market. Atlanta is a tough call right now. Not sure if Cleveland can support a team (protected Columbus, Tampa, DC, etc from Cleveland/Cincy, Orlando, Baltimore, etc).

Salary cap would be higher in NHL1. During the offseason there's some potential for the bottom performing NHL1 teams to switch for the next year with the NHL2 teams. Potentially could play "test matches" with league position at stake. Can argue about specifics of changing leagues elsewhere.

Let Basille have Hamilton, but must start in NHL2. Potentially let Nashville reenter in NHL2 (maybe in place of Las Vegas, move Houston west). Motivate Boston and Chicago to change ownership to move up to NHL1. Concentrate talent in 20 team league but bring pro hockey to all US major markets. Create a structure that allows for pro hockey for more Canadian markets.

Long shot, yes. But a better chance than contraction.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
I couldn't stand Buffalo not being in a division with Toronto and Hamilton. If Nashville moves to Hamilton, I'd love Buffalo-Toronto-Montreal-Hamilton-Ottawa, with Boston moving into the Atlantic. Who wouldn't love that division?

Big#D

Western Conference:

San Jose
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Phoenix

Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
WINNIPEG (Expansion)

Dallas
Colorado
St. Louis
KANSAS CITY (Expansion)

Minnesota
Detroit
Chicago
Columbus

Eastern Conference:

Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto

Buffalo
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

Boston
NY Rangers
NY Islanders
New Jersey

Carolina
Atlanta
Tampa Bay
Florida

Using your assumption of Nashville moving to Hamilton (which I am still not sure will happen nor do I support abandoning the market), I would agree with your set up with the following changes:

Make it Seattle instead of Winnipeg (better market IMO and rivalry with Van)
Make it Houston instead of KC (better market again IMO and rival to Dallas)
Switch Boston with Buffalo or Philly.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
People have *****ed and complained about not getting to see the other conference every year; all this does is shorten "every 3 years" to "every 2 years" and I don't see that appeasing the group that wants to see Crosby/Ovechkin/Kopitar/etc. once a season at home.

Come on, Irish Blues, you have to admit that the League isn't going to do a complete flip from playing 2/3 of out-of-Conference teams each season to playing out-of-Conference teams in a home-in-home each season. The best we can hope for, and perhaps the best case anyway, is a 6 - 4 - 1(+3) number of games schedule.

Eshutz Escors

Sep 5, 2005
I don't hate it. In fact, I kinda like it. BUT, even considering the one-sidedness :)() of it, I don't see them ever splitting the Boston/Montreal rivalry. I just don't.

Agreed, splitting up Montreal/Boston would be tough. As would having Buffalo not be in a division with Toronto and Hamilton.

Thing is though, when you consider the potential 6 teams: Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, Buffalo, Boston, someone is going to have to get moved. Based on proximity, Boston would appear to be leading candidate to join a division with the 3 teams around NYC.

What do you mean one-sidedness?

Eshutz Escors

Sep 5, 2005
Using your assumption of Nashville moving to Hamilton (which I am still not sure will happen nor do I support abandoning the market), I would agree with your set up with the following changes:

Make it Seattle instead of Winnipeg (better market IMO and rivalry with Van)
Make it Houston instead of KC (better market again IMO and rival to Dallas)
Switch Boston with Buffalo or Philly.

Seattle and Houston would work I guess. I just feel like Winnipeg really deserves a team and I kinda like the idea of 2 divisions with all teams from Canada. Plus, with AEG building that arena in KC, I think they would be next in line, IF the league ever does expand.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Philly has to be in with the Devs, they are only 80 miles a part from each other.
The NHL needs attrition, not expansion. The talent is too watered down.

Pnut

NHL1:
Anaheim
Buffalo
Calgary
Colorado
Columbus
Dallas
Detroit
Edmonton
Minnesota
Montreal
New Jersey
NY Rangers
Ottawa
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
San Jose
St. Louis
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Vancouver

NHL2
East
Atlanta
Boston
Carolina
Florida
HARTFORD (Expansion)
HOUSTON (Expansion)
NY Islanders
QUEBEC CITY (Expansion)
Washington

West
Chicago
KANSAS CITY (Expansion)
Las Vegas (Expansion)
Los Angeles
MILWAUKEE (Expansion)
Phoenix
PORTLAND (Expansion)
SEATTLE (Expansion)
WINNIPEG (Expansion)

Lineups were determined on combination of attendance, performance, and general health in market. Atlanta is a tough call right now. Not sure if Cleveland can support a team (protected Columbus, Tampa, DC, etc from Cleveland/Cincy, Orlando, Baltimore, etc).

Salary cap would be higher in NHL1. During the offseason there's some potential for the bottom performing NHL1 teams to switch for the next year with the NHL2 teams. Potentially could play "test matches" with league position at stake. Can argue about specifics of changing leagues elsewhere.

Let Basille have Hamilton, but must start in NHL2. Potentially let Nashville reenter in NHL2 (maybe in place of Las Vegas, move Houston west). Motivate Boston and Chicago to change ownership to move up to NHL1. Concentrate talent in 20 team league but bring pro hockey to all US major markets. Create a structure that allows for pro hockey for more Canadian markets.

No No No, I am an Islanders fan and if you slpit the rangers and Isles rivarly their would be hell to pay, why not throw New Jersy in NHL 2. This seems way way too far fetched for the next 50 years, considering how everyone moans about some teams now. the islanders is a good market and has 11 million people within a 50 mile radius no top mentiuon the 11 million in NYC, this is not researched good and is all fantasy......it makes teh NHL 2 look like the minor leagues and is biased and i am sure i am not the only one to think this.:rant::rant::rant::rant:

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
I'd like to see a 40 team league one day. I think that the NHL is in a unique position because of their CBA that teams could thrive in either small hockey hungry markets and larger non-traditional markets. Maybe even expansion into Europe!

Pnut

Philly has to be in with the Devs, they are only 80 miles a part from each other.
The NHL needs attrition, not expansion. The talent is too watered down.

agreed and i will take it one step further keep Philly with NJ with the Rangers with the Islanders all very close and all the ingrown rivalries, and the talent is too watered down. ANd the Devils are a stones throw from MSG, NYC and LI is like 50 miles from manhattan. i dont think NHL needs contraction but not anymore expansion!!! no matter where they put a team!!this is ridiculous of an idea to expand, just so people get more teams in canada? or in a place like KC where hockey failed.......this is bad if this ever happened, dont count on it.:teach::teach:

TorFC-TML*

NHL1:
Anaheim
Buffalo
Calgary
Colorado
Columbus
Dallas
Detroit
Edmonton
Minnesota
Montreal
New Jersey
NY Rangers
Ottawa
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
San Jose
St. Louis
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Vancouver

NHL2
East
Atlanta
Boston
Carolina
Florida
HARTFORD (Expansion)
HOUSTON (Expansion)
NY Islanders
QUEBEC CITY (Expansion)
Washington

West
Chicago
KANSAS CITY (Expansion)
Las Vegas (Expansion)
Los Angeles
MILWAUKEE (Expansion)
Phoenix
PORTLAND (Expansion)
SEATTLE (Expansion)
WINNIPEG (Expansion)

I would love something like this! A few additions:

- Have 3 teams relegated from NHL1 every year, and 3 promoted from NHL2. The demoted teams would be the bottom 3 in NHL1, and the promoted teams would be the Conf winners, and the winner of a 4 teams, Memorial Cup style tournament.

- Relegation goes no further than NHL1. You can sit at the bottom of NHL1 forever. You will only lose your team if the owner wants out, no different than today, or the last 50 years.

- Winners of NHL1, 8 team Playoffs wins Stanley Cup.

- Places 9, 10, 11 and 12 in NHL1 play a Mem Cup style playoff tournament. The winner plays in the newly created Victoria Cup against the winners of the European Champions League. A largely meaningless trophy, but this gives teams that really never had a shot at the Stanley Cup something to play for and make money on. It also helps European hockey by legitimizing the Victoria Cup for NHL clubs (if only a little).

- Places 20, 19, and 18 are relegated to NHL2. If the NHL wanted they could have a playoff here too; with places 18-15 or something.

More markets. More playoff atmospheres. More 'big games'.

This is a perfect NHL IMO.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I am not a fan of Canadian Only.

After First Round Remaining are seeded by points, not conference or division so it becomes possible for the strongest to meet in the final.

San Jose
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Phoenix
Dallas
Colorado
Vancouver
Edmonton

Winnipeg
Calgary
St. Louis
Kansas City
Minnesota.
Chicago
Detroit
Columbus

Toronto
Hamilton
Buffalo
Boston
New York Islanders
Pittsburgh
Atlanta
Tampa

Montreal
Ottawa
Philly
New York
New Jersey
Washington
Carolina
Florida (relocate to Quebec City when it needs to)

Last edited:

Pnut

I would love something like this! A few additions:

- Have 3 teams relegated from NHL1 every year, and 3 promoted from NHL2. The demoted teams would be the bottom 3 in NHL1, and the promoted teams would be the Conf winners, and the winner of a 4 teams, Memorial Cup style tournament.

- Relegation goes no further than NHL1. You can sit at the bottom of NHL1 forever. You will only lose your team if the owner wants out, no different than today, or the last 50 years.

- Winners of NHL1, 8 team Playoffs wins Stanley Cup.

- Places 9, 10, 11 and 12 in NHL1 play a Mem Cup style playoff tournament. The winner plays in the newly created Victoria Cup against the winners of the European Champions League. A largely meaningless trophy, but this gives teams that really never had a shot at the Stanley Cup something to play for and make money on. It also helps European hockey by legitimizing the Victoria Cup for NHL clubs (if only a little).

- Places 20, 19, and 18 are relegated to NHL2. If the NHL wanted they could have a playoff here too; with places 18-15 or something.

More markets. More playoff atmospheres. More 'big games'.
This is a perfect NHL IMO.

this basically stolen from the teir soccer leagues in europe, where they dont have to worry about growing their game
more big games for the teams you like and more useless games for the teams you dont like, i am sure if toronto was in NHL 2 you wouldnt be happy

this is such a bad idea:shakehead:shakehead:madfire:
it makes me want to hurt myself:banghead::banghead:

of course you can sit at the bottom of NHL one, you wnt lose money because most of the markets are their. This is an insulting idea to me and just for "fantasy guys' or pro-canadien hockey. everybody should get off this already this is the antiethisis of a perfect NHL. TERRIBLE, BAD! HORRIBLE!, man:shakehead:shakehead

TorFC-TML*

this basically stolen from the teir soccer leagues in europe, where they dont have to worry about growing their game
more big games for the teams you like and more useless games for the teams you dont like, i am sure if toronto was in NHL 2 you wouldnt be happy

this is such a bad idea:shakehead:shakehead:madfire:
it makes me want to hurt myself:banghead::banghead:

of course you can sit at the bottom of NHL one, you wnt lose money because most of the markets are their. This is an insulting idea to me and just for "fantasy guys' or pro-canadien hockey. everybody should get off this already this is the antiethisis of a perfect NHL. TERRIBLE, BAD! HORRIBLE!, man:shakehead:shakehead

What do you mean? It give more markets professional hockey.

I love the prospect of playing every team in the league an equal amount of times. Maybe getting a legitamite rivalry going with a team like the Kings or the Stars.

Its still a salary capped system That rewards results and consistency. The New Jersey Devils and Anaheim Ducks and other well-run clubs would still be succesful under this system, and teams that have traditionally just thrown money at their problems would be in alot of trouble.

To be 100% honest. If Toronto got relegated NHL2 and ended up playing 6 games that season against the likes of Montreal, Boston, Chicago, St. Louis, Quebec City, Hartford I would be ecstatic.

All those ideas I mentioned; The Victoria Cup tournament, relegation/promotion playoffs, etc.. I would be incredibly happy to see the Leafs a part of any of it. Its better than sitting in purgatory like the Maple Leafs, Panthers, Bruins, Blackhawks, and other franchises who never seem to do anything signifficant.

This system does nothing but add relevance and impotance to every season you head into, wether youre rebuilding or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pnut

What do you mean? It give more markets professional hockey.

I love the prospect of playing every team in the league an equal amount of times. Maybe getting a legitamite rivalry going with a team like the Kings or the Stars.

Its still a salary capped system That rewards results and consistency. The New Jersey Devils and Anaheim Ducks and other well-run clubs would still be succesful under this system, and teams that have traditionally just thrown money at their problems would be in alot of trouble.
To be 100% honest. If Toronto got relegated NHL2 and ended up playing 6 games that season against the likes of Montreal, Boston, Chicago, St. Louis, Quebec City, Hartford I would be ecstatic.

All those ideas I mentioned; The Victoria Cup tournament, relegation/promotion playoffs, etc.. I would be incredibly happy to see the Leafs a part of any of it. Its better than sitting in purgatory like the Maple Leafs, Panthers, Bruins, Blackhawks, and other franchises who never seem to do anything signifficant.
This system does nothing but add relevance and impotance to every season you head into, wether youre rebuilding or whatever.

throw money, like the islanders, so they are regulated to the minors......well
then you contradict yourself and call NHL 2 puratory for teams that dont do anything, hello? how many of those NHL1 teams did something the last trade deadline or the last off serason and then you say i'd be happy if the Leafs were there (well guess what i would tooo if we could move the leafs down and isles up)..........The isles got Ryan Smyth, got rid of Yashin and made the Playoffs unlike lots of theose NHL 1 teams, lets just keep it 1 NHL.......and not use this as another excuss to hate the teams you dont like....I am glad the NHl doesnt do this kind of stuff, i am glad the NHL isnt run like this........whew!!!:teach::teach::teach:

Do you not like any of the non expansion teams in this NHL2? admit it you don't and this is why this is fantasy, man:madfire::banghead::banghead:

you have no good reason to do this..... you just dont, admit it. You dont like some teams, pure and simple. Oh by the way the NJ Devils might be a great hockey club, but people care less about them than the Nashvile franchise that everybody wants to throw under the bus....please do a little research before your formulate your opinions and say things that arent true!!!

and the NYR-NYI rivary is the biggest in all sports, bigger than Canadiens-Tor or Oil-Flame or Yanks- RedSox, and this stupid system takes that away......what a joke, opinions are a dime a dozen and everybody has one, it doesnt make them a genius Thankfully the nhl wouldnt even think of such nonsense!!

Last edited by a moderator:

DRWR

Dec 16, 2006
Dear Mr. Betteman,

There are too many teams these days. Please eliminate 3. I am not a crackpot.

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
I couldn't stand Buffalo not being in a division with Toronto and Hamilton. If Nashville moves to Hamilton, I'd love Buffalo-Toronto-Montreal-Hamilton-Ottawa, with Boston moving into the Atlantic. Who wouldn't love that division?

Boston & it's fans probably wouldn't love that. We love the rivalries with Buffalo & Montreal from back in the days of the Adams division - and the 'newer' rivalries with TO & OTT ... thanks but no thanks on relocating the B's to the Atlantic division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad