My 2005 Top 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
I got bored so I thought I'd throw together a top 30. It's early so things should change a bit as the season goes on. Comment if you want.

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Jack Johnson
3. Gilbert Brule
4. Benoit Pouliot
5. Ryan O'Marra
6. Bobby Ryan
7. Guillaume Latendresse
8. Chris Durrand
9. Jakub Kindl
10. Alex Bourret
11. Marek Zagrapan
12. Niklas Berfgors
13. Daniel Bertram
14. Tuukka Rask
15. Carey Price
16. J.P. Paquet
17. Alexandre Vincent
18. Luc Bourdon
19. J.P. Levasseur
20. Anze Kopitar
21. Ryan Stoa
22. Teemu Laakso
23. Ryan Parent
24. Jack Skille
25. Matt Lashoff
26. Devin Setoguchi
27. Michael Blunden
28. Andrew Cogliano
29. Patrick Davis
30. Marc Staal

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
trahans99 said:
Brule is #2 undoubtedly, Setougouchi and Staal should be higher also.
How can you say undoubtedly? Have you seen Johnson play?

ISS has Johnson #2 for their Nov. rankings now as well.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Blue Bullet said:
I got bored so I thought I'd throw together a top 30. It's early so things should change a bit as the season goes on. Comment if you want.

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Jack Johnson
3. Gilbert Brule
4. Benoit Pouliot
5. Ryan O'Marra
6. Bobby Ryan
7. Guillaume Latendresse
8. Chris Durrand
9. Jakub Kindl
10. Alex Bourret
11. Marek Zagrapan
12. Niklas Berfgors
13. Daniel Bertram
14. Tuukka Rask
15. Carey Price
16. J.P. Paquet
17. Alexandre Vincent
18. Luc Bourdon
19. J.P. Levasseur
20. Anze Kopitar
21. Ryan Stoa
22. Teemu Laakso
23. Ryan Parent
24. Jack Skille
25. Matt Lashoff
26. Devin Setoguchi
27. Michael Blunden
28. Andrew Cogliano
29. Patrick Davis
30. Marc Staal

I've seen Patrick Davis on a few lists, and would like some more input on him. He's putting up good numbers as a 1st year player for Kitchener, and seems to have a nice skill set. Any comments on his strengths/weaknesses?

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
trahans99 said:

I think it's a matter of what you value. General rule of thumb for me is that if I have two players who I believe to be around the same ranking, I take the d-man because their harder to come by. That is what happened here.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Blue Bullet said:
I think it's a matter of what you value. General rule of thumb for me is that if I have two players who I believe to be around the same ranking, I take the d-man because their harder to come by. That is what happened here.

Agree. If a team like Chicago or Washington has #2, they would take Brule. But if a club like Columbus got their hands on #2 I think they would take Johnson.

RDriesen

May 22, 2002
Visit site
trahans99 said:
disagree, johnson is my no. 2

this is a case of, do you want nash or bouwmeester. by no means am i comparing them to brule/johnson, im just saying its like a 2 and 2a, and it becomes more personal preference

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
RDriesen said:
disagree, johnson is my no. 2

this is a case of, do you want nash or bouwmeester. by no means am i comparing them to brule/johnson, im just saying its like a 2 and 2a, and it becomes more personal preference

Agree. Its really down to what needs your team has if there two similiar good prospects available. I'd still say Brule is #2 but not by far.

Sticky*

I don't get why everyone ranks Staal at the end of the first round. He WILL go in the first half of the first round. He is the most dependable defenseman in the draft. Reminds me of a better version of Steve Eminger.

X0ssbar

monster_bertuzzi said:
Agree. If a team like Chicago or Washington has #2, they would take Brule. But if a club like Columbus got their hands on #2 I think they would take Johnson.

Agreed - although we could use a young potential franchise center like Brule, defense is a HUGE problem for the CBJ and I think Johnson would be our guy if somehow we slide into that #2 position.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Whats the deal with Ryan Parent? His stats are very unimpressive. Is he a shut down Keith Carney guy, or has he just not realised his offensive potential yet?

roaddogg

Feb 10, 2003
haysville
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I've seen Patrick Davis on a few lists, and would like some more input on him. He's putting up good numbers as a 1st year player for Kitchener, and seems to have a nice skill set. Any comments on his strengths/weaknesses?

I've seen him play few times this year, including tonight against St. Mikes. He can skate, pass, score BUT he is not a sure thing to develop into a pro hockey player. It seems he plays too much in the perimeter. Davis did play 28 games for Kitchener last year getting 8 goals and 18 points. I think he'll easily go in the second round because of the high potential upside.

Kindl is the real deal. I think he should go top 10 because of his offensive game is great and his defensive game is coming around well.

Lashoff is a good defensemen, but to me he's not a sure first round pick, he does everything O.K. but nothing really good.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:

I would have agreed with you a short time ago had you said the Caps would take Brule. However, our main need in my opinion is top defense. It would not shock me if we selected Johnson.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Sticky said:
I don't get why everyone ranks Staal at the end of the first round. He WILL go in the first half of the first round. He is the most dependable defenseman in the draft. Reminds me of a better version of Steve Eminger.

His brother grew 2-3 inches in the year mark is in. He could be a Top10 guy. Gotta like the bloodlines.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Blue Bullet said:

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Jack Johnson
3. Gilbert Brule
4. Benoit Pouliot
5. Ryan O'Marra
6. Bobby Ryan
7. Guillaume Latendresse
8. Chris Durand
9. Jakub Kindl
10. Alex Bourret
11. Marek Zagrapan
12. Niklas Berfgors