25. Akim Aliu
26. Stefan Legein
27. Zach Torquato
28. Kevin Shattenkirk
29. Joakim Andersson
30. John Negrin

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
No Backlund or Mayorov? I see them being picked over Torquato, among others. Turris might be picked before Esposito, and Colton Gillies might be dropping to the 2nd round.

It's hard to compile a list freehand like that, picking prospects is all relative to the needs of a team, and we do not know the final standings right now, other than Philly more than likely picking 1st.

Good job though.

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
1. Patrick Kane
2. Alexei Cherepanov
3. Karl Alzner
4. James Van Ryemsdyk
5. Jakub Voracek
6. Sam Gagner
7. Keaton Ellerby
8. Angelo Esposito
9. Kyle Turris
10. Logan Couture
11. John Blum
12. Nick Petrecki
13. Brandon Sutter
14. Zach Hamill
15. Alex Plante
16. Jim O'Brien
17. Bill Sweatt
18. Eric Doyle
19. Tommy Cross
20. Thomas Hickey
21. Colton Gillies
22. Kevin Veilleux
23. David Stich
24. Oscar Moller
25. Akim Aliu
26. Stefan Legein
27. Zach Torquato
28. Kevin Shattenkirk
29. Joakim Andersson
30. John Negrin

Wouldn' t the order depend on which teams are picking where? Alzner could go one or two depending on who's picking. If the Jackets had a pick that high I think they go for the dman since they already have forwards like Nash, Zherdev, Brule and Brassard.

SniperTom

Sep 13, 2005
No Backlund or Mayorov? I see them being picked over Torquato, among others. Turris might be picked before Esposito, and Colton Gillies might be dropping to the 2nd round.

It's hard to compile a list freehand like that, picking prospects is all relative to the needs of a team, and we do not know the final standings right now, other than Philly more than likely picking 1st.

Good job though.

I wouldn´t take Backlund in the first round. In my opinion he hasn`t developed as expected. I think you could pick him in the mid second round and hope that he starts to develop, cause he´s got the tools.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I wouldn´t take Backlund in the first round. In my opinion he hasn`t developed as expected. I think you could pick him in the mid second round and hope that he starts to develop, cause he´s got the tools.

Yeah, he's an enigma, like Gillies. 1st or 2nd round, a lot of people have different opinions on the matter. Guys with lots of skill but they don't seem to put it together on the ice. Although Backlund was apparently injured this year which could have hurt him. I see a team picking him up in the 1st, depending on how much they scouted him.

Last edited:

fong p88

Jul 24, 2006
Saskatchewan
just my two cents:

1. Philly - Pat Kane - Cherepanov and Kane are about dead even but Cherepanov isn't a sure thing to come over
2. LA - Karl Alzner - The Kings have good prospects at every poition with Bernier, Johnson, Boyle, Lewis so they take the another good young d-man
3. Columbus - Jakub Voracek - Possiby the best player in the draft
4. Chicago - Angelo Esposito - The Hawks take a good forward who may be able to crack the team next year
5. St. Louis - Sam Gagner - The Blues want an offensive force and they get one
6. Florida - Logan Couture - They want a center and he is the best one available
7. Washington - Alexei Cherpanov - It is more probable that he is selected higher than this but with rankings changing every month who knows where him and the others will go
8. Phoenix - Kyle Turris - The Coyotes go high risk high reward
9. Boston - James Van Rimesdyk - They have Stuart and Lasshoff as d-men but they lack a great forward prospect
10. Rangers - Zach Hamill - Probably a reach but he has a great upside, maybe Ellerby here
11. Oilers - Keaton Ellerby - They get a defenseman of the future
12. Colorado - Trevor Cann - With Budaj their only young(ish) goalie they need to take a goalie of the future
13. Islanders - Nick Petrecki - Best Player available
14. Toronto - Brandon Sutter - He has good bloodlines and isn't a bad hockey player
15. Carolina - John Blum - They traded away Jack Johnson and need another defenseman
16. Minnesota - John Negrin - Have a good nucleus of young forwards, Maybe Sexsmith goes here
17. Bill Sweatt - Took a goalie last year and defensemen before that
18. Ottawa - Michael Repik - Best Player Available
19. Pittsburgh - Eric Doyle - Best Player Available
20. Montreal - Maxim Mayorov - Best Player Available
21. Vancouver - Kevin Shattenkirk - Best Player Available
22. Calgary - Colton Gillies - They take a grinder with offensive upside who fits their system
23. Dallas - Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i - Best Player Available
24. Atlanta - Thomas Hickey - Best Player Available
25. San Jose - Tyson Sexsmith - Lacka good young goalie
26. New Jersey - Alex Plante - The big faller of the first round, teams may see him as overrated because he plays with Alzner
27. Oilers - Jim O'Brien - Best player available
28. Detroit - Joakim Andersson - Best Player available
29. Philly - Jeremy Smith - Get their goalie of the future
30. Buffalo - Mike Hoeffel - Best Player Available

There are some reaches (Gillies, Hamill) and some fallers (Cherpanov, Ellerby, Plante)... Also the only traded picks I could rember were Nashville to Philly and Anaheim to Edmonton

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
just my two cents:

1. Philly - Pat Kane - Cherepanov and Kane are about dead even but Cherepanov isn't a sure thing to come over
2. LA - Karl Alzner - The Kings have good prospects at every poition with Bernier, Johnson, Boyle, Lewis so they take the another good young d-man
4. Chicago - Angelo Esposito - The Hawks take a good forward who may be able to crack the team next year
6. Florida - Logan Couture - They want a center and he is the best one available
7. Washington - Alexei Cherpanov - It is more probable that he is selected higher than this but with rankings changing every month who knows where him and the others will go
9. Boston - James Van Rimesdyk - They have Stuart and Lasshoff as d-men but they lack a great forward prospect
10. Rangers - Zach Hamill - Probably a reach but he has a great upside, maybe Ellerby here
12. Colorado - Trevor Cann - With Budaj their only young(ish) goalie they need to take a goalie of the future
14. Toronto - Brandon Sutter - He has good bloodlines and isn't a bad hockey player
15. Carolina - John Blum - They traded away Jack Johnson and need another defenseman
16. Minnesota - John Negrin - Have a good nucleus of young forwards, Maybe Sexsmith goes here
22. Calgary - Colton Gillies - They take a grinder with offensive upside who fits their system
26. New Jersey - Alex Plante - The big faller of the first round, teams may see him as overrated because he plays with Alzner

There are some reaches (Gillies, Hamill) and some fallers (Cherpanov, Ellerby, Plante)... Also the only traded picks I could rember were Nashville to Philly and Anaheim to Edmonton

I would be very happy with Patrick Kane or Alexei Cherepanov with the Flyers' first pick, and Jeremy Smith with the second.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
just my two cents:

1) I guarantee that the Blues would not pick Gagner over Cherepanov, JVR or Couture. I'd probably add Turris to this list also.

2) New Jersey(Malakhov trade) and Dallas(Nagy trade) have traded their 1st round picks.

Checker*

1) I guarantee that the Blues would not pick Gagner over Cherepanov, JVR or Couture. I'd probably add Turris to this list also.

2) New Jersey(Malakhov trade) and Dallas(Nagy trade) have traded their 1st round picks.

So you're a close personal friend of Jarmo or JD's then?

I could see the statement being, "I'd be upset if the Blues took Gagner over said players" or "I can almost guarantee the Blues wouldn't pick Ellerby over those said players", but Gagner at that pick is reasonable yet not my personal favorite choice...Turris is. The OP did a nice job with this as did the 2nd mock drafter although the dealing of first round picks that may be happening soon will probably change everything

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site

I could see the statement being, "I'd be upset if the Blues took Gagner over said players" or "I can almost guarantee the Blues wouldn't pick Ellerby over those said players", but Gagner at that pick is reasonable yet not my personal favorite choice...Turris is. The OP did a nice job with this as did the 2nd mock drafter although the dealing of first round picks that may be happening soon will probably change everything

I get a kick out of people who "guarantee" certain things on message boards like these... :shakehead

Nice job on the mocks, guys.

Blindside9711

With no guarantees of Cherepanov coming over, I'd like to see Philly trade down a few spots, maybe pick up another 2nd in the process, and take Voracek or Alzner instead. Both have the makings of a franchise player while Cherepanov reminds me of a Zherdev-type player that's alot of flash and dash, but not so much character.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

Close personal friend? No.
We've spoken a few times, and I know what he typically looks for in a prospect though. Sam Gagner is NOT a "Jarmo" type prospect. Jarmo doesn't take "Boom or Bust" type prospects with his high picks(and yes, Gagner is very much a boom or bust prospect). He goes with safer picks that he is VERY sure will make an impact at the NHL level(he has MUCH different criterea than the "experts" though and that's why he's labeled as a "reach" type). I can tell you with 100% certainty that if Gagner, JVR, Cherepanov and Couture are still on the board when the Blues pick; we will NOT go with Sam Gagner(if all of them are available it will either be Cherepanov(depending on his pre-draft interveiw) or Couture).

onthejob

Feb 18, 2007
Close personal friend? No.
We've spoken a few times, and I know what he typically looks for in a prospect though. Sam Gagner is NOT a "Jarmo" type prospect. Jarmo doesn't take "Boom or Bust" type prospects with his high picks(and yes, Gagner is very much a boom or bust prospect). He goes with safer picks that he is VERY sure will make an impact at the NHL level(he has MUCH different criterea than the "experts" though and that's why he's labeled as a "reach" type). I can tell you with 100% certainty that if Gagner, JVR, Cherepanov and Couture are still on the board when the Blues pick; we will NOT go with Sam Gagner(if all of them are available it will either be Cherepanov(depending on his pre-draft interveiw) or Couture).

Boom or bust won't be Sam Gagner...son of former NHLer knows what it takes and he will be solid..neither boom or bust, but solid

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Boom or bust won't be Sam Gagner...son of former NHLer knows what it takes and he will be solid..neither boom or bust, but solid

I disagree.
Gagner will either be a scorer at the NHL level or he won't be able to stick up there.
That equals boom or bust.
It is your opinion that he won't go bust; but I don't fully agree(his size and defensive ability(or lack thereof) are big flags for me and I question how good he really is away from Kane) and can guarantee that Jarmo won't take that chance on a top 10 pick.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Wouldn' t the order depend on which teams are picking where? Alzner could go one or two depending on who's picking. If the Jackets had a pick that high I think they go for the dman since they already have forwards like Nash, Zherdev, Brule and Brassard.

once again. you dont ever pick for need with a pick that high. its the biggest mistake you can make in the draft. if columbus where to select #1 overall and they felt kane was the best player they would have picked him. no doubt. even if they are short on d-men. you can allways trade later and you team may have changed interely by the time the player you picked is ready to contribute in the nhl. at that point you may be stacked with d-men and short os forwards. so allways go for the BPA with your high picks.

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
No Backlund or Mayorov?
Good job though.

havent heard anything of him or seen him so i cannot judge him. This listy was made strictly by what i've seen and repetitively heard from others. It was my first try at this years Mock, i tried

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't think the "current" Habs brass will draft a russian so high... André Savard isn't there anymore, and he was the one who was very high on russians, and while some of his picks were undeniably good -- Emelin, Grabovsky(so far in the draft) and S.K.(i.d.) -- some are still shady -- Perezoghin and, YES, A.Kostitsyn.

Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, on the other hand... I'd also like to see them pick Keven Veilleux, if he's still available, and chances are, he will be.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
once again. you dont ever pick for need with a pick that high. its the biggest mistake you can make in the draft. if columbus where to select #1 overall and they felt kane was the best player they would have picked him. no doubt. even if they are short on d-men. you can allways trade later and you team may have changed interely by the time the player you picked is ready to contribute in the nhl. at that point you may be stacked with d-men and short os forwards. so allways go for the BPA with your high picks.

true but given that this is a very even draft a team like the Flyers with the number one pick needs to look more at need and availabilty and that means Kane for us please.

onthejob

Feb 18, 2007
I disagree.
Gagner will either be a scorer at the NHL level or he won't be able to stick up there.
That equals boom or bust.
It is your opinion that he won't go bust; but I don't fully agree(his size and defensive ability(or lack thereof) are big flags for me and I question how good he really is away from Kane) and can guarantee that Jarmo won't take that chance on a top 10 pick.

All of the draft eligible players are young. Defensively they will all need to improve to play responsibly at the NHL level. But what I have always heard from the London camp is that Sam Gagner is the main one to be the reliable backchecker and the one to be the most responsible in 'down low' coverage--- when playing with Kane and Kostitsyn. So defensively he is aware and responsible ...his offensive extincts are a bonus. That is what I mean by ["solid". ]

That is also why he made Team Canada as a young 17 year old because they knew of all the available young players, he would accept a lessor role and fit in... just to win (Gold Medal). If you suggest that the St. Louis Head Scout doesnt get it then it explains his teams current predicament. Regardless... I stand by my conviction because London has benefited and won with their young talent; both offensive and defensive abilities.

Winning is what matters. Many of the other players at that spot (5- 10 draft pick selection) don't have equal all around hockey knowledge and ability as Sam Gagner.

druncan

Mar 8, 2006
the city
just my two cents:

seriously doubt the sharks pick a goalie in the first round. greiss will most likely be the goalie after nabby and toskala, and dakers and stalock won't be far behind. they don't need a good young goalie as you suggest, and would probably do fine in the later rounds anyway. at least, if history were any indication.

onthejob

Feb 18, 2007
All of the draft eligible players are young. Defensively they will all need to improve to play responsibly at the NHL level. But what I have always heard from the London camp is that Sam Gagner is the main one to be the reliable backchecker and the one to be the most responsible in 'down low' coverage--- when playing with Kane and Kostitsyn. So defensively he is aware and responsible ...his offensive extincts are a bonus. That is what I mean by ["solid". ]

That is also why he made Team Canada as a young 17 year old because they knew of all the available young players, he would accept a lessor role and fit in... just to win (Gold Medal). If you suggest that the St. Louis Head Scout doesnt get it then it explains his teams current predicament. Regardless... I stand by my conviction because London has benefited and won with their young talent; both offensive and defensive abilities.

Winning is what matters. Many of the other players at that spot (5- 10 draft pick selection) don't have equal all around hockey knowledge and ability as Sam Gagner.

Gagner (1st game back from injury) without Kane (out with the flu).... 2 G 2A ..4 pts ...4-3 win ... Gagner OT winner ...again "winning is what matters most"

coolguy21415

Jul 17, 2003
lol Montreal picking 20th, and ahead of Ottawa and Pittsburgh? Someone's optimistic! I can't see Montreal picking any later than 18th at best. 16th or 17th is more likely, especially since it appears that the Western Conference teams are going to have more points in the 6th,7th,8th positions than in the Eastern.

If the draft was today, Montreal would be picking 15th, and if games in hand were played out, probably 14th or 13th.

I also don't think Esposito will get taken that high. Also, Montreal is probably more likely to take a defenseman if one is within reasonable reach.

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
just my two cents:

2 goalies in the first round? will NOT happen this year, especially for San Jose. Drafting a goalie in the first round would be the last thing they would do. As for the Avalanche, they could probablu pick up Trever Cann in the 2nd round, they shouldnt waste a first rounder on him, hes not anything special. This an especially low year for goaltenders in the draft.

fong p88

Jul 24, 2006
Saskatchewan
lol Montreal picking 20th, and ahead of Ottawa and Pittsburgh? Someone's optimistic! I can't see Montreal picking any later than 18th at best. 16th or 17th is more likely, especially since it appears that the Western Conference teams are going to have more points in the 6th,7th,8th positions than in the Eastern.

If the draft was today, Montreal would be picking 15th, and if games in hand were played out, probably 14th or 13th.

I also don't think Esposito will get taken that high. Also, Montreal is probably more likely to take a defenseman if one is within reasonable reach.

I put it together a couple of weeks ago when Montreal was doing good.... To do it again now would be a completely different story

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->