Speculation: MVP you'd re-sign amongst this year's UFAs & RFAs?

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
This is purely for fun, of sorts.

Question: Out of the seven Caps players who will become an RFA or UFA this off-season, which single player is most important to be re-signed, and why?

For the purposes of this thread, assume it's OK to use a player's potential as grounds for your decision, but you must answer according your impression/opinion today (i.e. 'I believe Orlov will develop into a Top-4 D' is fine, but 'Mojo, as long as he continues to perform in the playoffs' isn't.)

Part of the idea is to see if opinions change between now and after the playoffs.

Options:
  • [RFA] Orlov
  • [RFA] Wilson
  • [RFA] Johansson
  • [RFA] Latta
  • [UFA] Chimera
  • [UFA] Richards
  • [UFA] Weber

edit: thank you to whoever added the poll!

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It's Johansson. As CBC said yesterday, he's the only one with Kuzy who can play all 3 forward positions. He scores 15-20 goals, 40-45 pts. He's young, if we can get him signed to a 5 year, $4.5M AAV deal we're in business.

Orlov has more upside than Johansson, but with Bowey on the way, we may not even need Orlov in the long run.

The thing is, GMBM has much bigger priorities than the players listed above. Most of the cap space he got from trading Laich will go to Kuznetsov and Carlson, who are far more important to the team. I think eventually we'll have to get rid of Orpik and replace him with a cheaper D. We probably need more cap space to fit all the pieces in.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
It's Johansson. As CBC said yesterday, he's the only one with Kuzy who can play all 3 forward positions. He scores 15-20 goals, 40-45 pts. He's young, if we can get him signed to a 5 year, $4.5M AAV deal we're in business.

Orlov has more upside than Johansson, but with Bowey on the way, we may not even need Orlov in the long run.

The thing is, GMBM has much bigger priorities than the players listed above. Most of the cap space he got from trading Laich will go to Kuznetsov and Carlson, who are far more important to the team. I think eventually we'll have to get rid of Orpik and replace him with a cheaper D. We probably need more cap space to fit all the pieces in.
I think Johansson is third. Both Orlov and Wilson offer a unique skill set or element that the Caps don't have otherwise. With Orlov, it's his creativity form the back end and with Wilson it's his physical intimidation and pestering. Kuznetsov does everything Johansson does, but better. Same with Backstrom, with the exception of skating.

Also, Johansson has the most ready-made direct replacement in the organization--Vrana.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
If It's pick JUST ONE.... I'ts Johansson.... Strictly b/c he has by far the most trade value of everyone.

Everyone else is a bottom 6 forward or a bottom 2 D guy (as of right now).

If I can play armchair GM - then I tender Orlov, Johnasson, Latta, and Wilson (since we can match any offer or get picks if we don't match) and I'd sign Richards. Hes been arguably the best player in the NHL on the PK last half of the year. Chimera is old and unless he's in a contract year he sucks... and Weber we can easily do without too.

Again, just one of those players to sign and keep??? Easily Johansson.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I really don't think Mojo has done anything that he hasn't done before and at that time I was still effy on more than 4 million a year. If we can get him long term at 4, I'd be okay with it, but realistically he's a 3rd line player for us going into the future and I'm not sure how good I feel with high paid third liners.

Orlov and Wilson would probably cost us just a little more then Mojo and if I had to pick between those two and Mojo, I'm picking the two. If I only had to pick one...I think its a hard tie between Wilson and Orlov. I don't think Wilson will cost a lot but I think Orlov can be a top 4 defender going forward and is more valuable then Wilson in the future but we have no one who brings what Wilson brings in the pipeline or on our roster.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think that Johansson's contribution to the power play is very understated and underrated by fans. Not by the coaching staff. Zone entry. Puck retrieval. Zone time. This difference between their zone time when he is on the ice and when Kuznetsov has replaced him for suspension or injury has been significant. Zone time and retrieval for the second unit is far below the first.

I don't think he is as replaceable as some might think. Its has hard to understand as the basic that he plays ahead of Kuznetsov in that role.

There's more to his game than just that, but that one thing is something to be careful about messing with. The idea that Vrana is a plug and play replacement for 90 is wrong.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Mojo has the rarest skill set out of the group. He's a solid 3C but can also play the wing. He's the guy who makes this team seem like it has excellent depth. You lose him and there is a big step down to Beagle/Richards in terms to offense. Not so with Orlov or Wilson. That's not to say they aren't nice players. They are. But if I had to pick one...it'd be Mojo.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Most of the cap space he got from trading Laich will go to Kuznetsov and Carlson

What? Laich's deal expires at the same time as Kuznetsov's and a year before Carlson's. If GMBM was clearing space for Kuzy and Carlson extensions, trading Laich was a poor way to do it.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
What? Laich's deal expires at the same time as Kuznetsov's and a year before Carlson's. If GMBM was clearing space for Kuzy and Carlson extensions, trading Laich was a poor way to do it.

That's true, I had a brain cramp there. Nevertheless, we need to keep some cap space to fit Kuzy and Carlson in, GMBM is probably planning ahead for these two.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I still picked Wilson for the following reasons:
- while Mojo has a higher ceiling and better ability, they're essentialy both bottom 6 players. If Marcus has stellar playoffs and deserves a top 6 spot, he'll price himself out of Washington any way, if he's subpar, he's still going to ask for a long 4.5M+ contract, which would be uncomfortable. Wilson isn't going to be nearly as pricy, and money left from Mojo's deal can allow us to sign a decent 3rd liner for a season and be much more flexible when Kuya and Carlson need contracts.
- Johansson has peaked as an inconsistent 50 point player under the best possible conditions, while Wilson is still improving in a much more limited opportunities.
- While he's much more risky and not as talented as Mojo, Wilson has an x-factor that can be a game changer every shift.
- Who would you rather play against in a playoff series?

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Orlov may have the most upside (IMO), and Wilson adds the most unique element to the Caps' game, but I think Johansson is the most crucial piece. His flexibility is very valuable - he can play 3C, he can step in a 1C and look good, he can play LW or RW if you need him to, etc. His speed is great to have, especially if Chimera doesn't come back. And I think he helps a lot with things like zone entries, etc. that are important for the PP. There's a reason he's still on the 1PP, not Kuznetsov.

I think we keep all three of Johansson/Orlov/Wilson, so this conversation is purely academic at the moment.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Johansson's versatility is for sure a great asset, but I don't think he's good enough to displace anybody in the top-6, especially if Burakovsky continues developing. I imagine they'll let Oshie go and replace him with Vrana, re-sign Williams for a year or two, and then see what happens after that (Barber?). So I don't see a good fit for him especially considering that he might be looking at a solid raise.

I chose Orlov. He's just too dynamic. He makes plays that win games. Obviously he sometimes makes plays that lose games as well, but he's still young and missed an entire year of development. I'd rather re-sign him and hope he reduces his gaffs to a minimum than replace him with someone like Chorney or a pylon like Weber.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Mojo has the rarest skill set out of the group. He's a solid 3C but can also play the wing. He's the guy who makes this team seem like it has excellent depth.

That's why I voted for Mojo. Wilson and Orlov are contenders here as well, and each of them offer something useful, but Mojo can fill literally any top 6 spot and put up some offense while doing it. That's a huge asset, and that isn't even considering his contribution to PP1, which I think is significant. He gets pucks into the zone in control, and while he doesn't make a ton of flashy plays like Kuzy, he also doesn't turn the puck over as much.

Oh, and he seems to still be improving.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Orlov. Marge can be replaced much easier than a young hard hitting, offensive minded defensemen. Who by the way will cost maybe half of what Marge is going to get.

And Vrana is ready, and Barber is close.

Wilson is a close 2nd. Thank god we can keep them both.

I think we keep all three of Johansson/Orlov/Wilson, so this conversation is purely academic at the moment.

I don't see how they can keep Marge and still have enough for Carlson, Kuznetsov and Alzner. Unless they sign him and trade him NEXT off season or at the deadline.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Johansson inconsistent?

2011-2012: 80 games, 46 points.
2012-2013 (lockout): 34 games, 22 points.
2013-2014: 80 games, 44 points.
2014-2015: 82 games, 47 points.
2015-2016: 74 games, 46 points (it's top-120 league wide).

I've left only his rookie season. Btw, his playoffs stats is better from rookie season. After that he didn't score more than 4 points (playing 14 games twice).

Has already 4 now.

He's getting better, he's homegrown talent, he's much younger than Williams and Oshie, and not that pricey at all.

There is no other way for GMBM than to sign Mojo to some term.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Orlov. Marge can be replaced much easier than a young hard hitting, offensive minded defensemen. Who by the way will cost maybe half of what Marge is going to get.

And Vrana is ready, and Barber is close.

Wilson is a close 2nd. Thank god we can keep them both.

I don't see how they can keep Marge and still have enough for Carlson, Kuznetsov and Alzner. Unless they sign him and trade him NEXT off season or at the deadline.

Marge? You are a fan of his?

Recap. Vrana and Barber may be ready, but these players don't replace what Johansson brings. Particularly his power play puck hawking skills. Again, consider that the Caps use him ahead of Kuznetsov. That should speak volumes.

Vrana is going to start as a 4th line player just as Kuzy and Burt have. Barber is an actual bottom 6 and will probably take Latta's spot which will be a playing role after Richards moves on very likely. He stays in Hershey if Richards signs a one year to stay.

Orlov is a luxury item. He probably stays as much for an expansion draft as anything else. He wont be getting a top 4 d slot and is already overpaid for a 3rd pair role. Meanwhile Bowey is coming and will be cheaper.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I think it would be hardest to replace Orlov's minutes short term and he has the most upside long term. Skilled and physical.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I think it would be hardest to replace Orlov's minutes short term and he has the most upside long term. Skilled and physical.

My concern with Orlov is to what extent he can develop his defensive game - if he can't, he doesn't deserve more than third pair minutes with the Caps, and I don't think that role should be paid much higher than Orlov is already. If he can become a well-rounded defensemen with great offensive ability, my view is quite different.

On a team with the likes of Ovechkin, Backstrom and Kuznetsov (and offensively-capable D-men like Carlson) Orlov's offensive potential does seem like a lovely luxury that doesn't outweigh the defensive needs.

With regard to cap space, I wonder if Alzner's play this year might have changed things a little. Given that he's a good, responsible defenseman who has proven more than capable of top-pair minutes, there may be less need for Orpik in a season's time. Niskanen and Alzner will both be more experienced and, perhaps, more capable of providing stabilising 'leadership' to younger players, and Orlov (if he's still around) and Bowey may be providing the physicality Orpik offers. Unless Orpik's ability diminishes greatly over the next 12 months or so, he'll be tradeable.

Alex Prewitt; July 1 said:
The contract contains a limited no-trade clause, according to his agent Lewis Gross, meaning Orpik has the opportunity to submit a list of desired teams at the beginning of each season.

If a team like Toronto are willing to absorb Brooks Laich's contract (given that Laich is undoubtely a less-useful player than a top-2, physical, stay-at home defenseman) there's a fair chance the Caps could make a nice trade with a team Orpik would approve. So that would take care of Alzner at the very least, with room for a cheaper top-4 guy (who could end up being Schmidt or Orlov, even).

One thing to possibly think about as well: if Kuzy is truly going to cost a bomb, maybe they consider moving Backstrom? At that point Kuzy will either be at 1C level (and paid accordingly) or he won't be, and having two 1Cs while experiencing cap space issues might be too luxurious - especially with Burakovsky to pay a year later. By then Backstrom would only have two or three years left on his contract, be nearing 30, and be worth an awful lot in trade value. Alternatively, Burakovsky might be able to fill Oshie's 1RW role, Johansson or Vrana take Williams', or them be able to trade in someone younger and cheaper for one of those roles. I'm not saying I want them to do any of that - just that there might be alternatives to trading away Johansson to make room for the others, especially if Johansson ends up being cheaper than Oshie's next contract or Backstrom's current (steal of a) deal. Having a good 2C is essential to the team's success, but we may have been spoilt this season having both Kuzy and Backstrom - it might not be sustainable in the long term.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Like Ovi is attracting russians Backstrom is attracting swedes.

I totally expect him to play his contract out as Cap. Will be similar to Joe Thornton. Slow but good.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

he is skilled and physical but his minutes are not that hard. he plays no special teams time when Carlson and Niskanen are available. He gets no PK time regardless of lineup issues.

Bowey fills his role as does Schmidt who are both less expensive. I think the Caps keep him, but his minutes are harder to replace than Johansson who is on pp1?

Meanwhile, you guys need to give up on this fantasy that MacLellan is going to trade Orpik.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
he is skilled and physical but his minutes are not that hard. he plays no special teams time when Carlson and Niskanen are available. He gets no PK time regardless of lineup issues.

Bowey fills his role as does Schmidt who are both less expensive. I think the Caps keep him, but his minutes are harder to replace than Johansson who is on pp1?

I know Orlov's minutes are 3rd or 2nd pair but after a decade of these 3rd pair scrubs the Caps marched out there, wearing out Green or Orpik or whoever with too many minutes in the regular season and being terrified watching when Schultz or Jurcina or oh dear God no Jack Hillen tried to get it out their own end, finally we've got a healthy Orlov with these sexy 5 on 5 numbers. There have been a lot of wingers to produce on PP1 the decade, just move Burakovsky to PP1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad