OT: Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The best drum solo I've ever witnessed was Neil Peart 2-3 years ago at the Bell Centre. He had three drum solos and he was surrounded by drums. He had a drum pad that would switch the sound of his drums. One of his solos was an impressive Drum and Bass/Jungle style solo that was mesmerizing. Best drummer in the world in my opinion.

Definitely a great drummer but it is Ginger Baker for me.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Digging this up for a good cause. Lemmy from motor head here in what sounds very Jack Bruce and cream before Hawkwind or Motorhead. Sam Gopal , the man not just the band, plays a unique percussion instrument. Interesting sound to be sure. I like this quite a bit.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Police drummer Stewart Copeland had this to say about Rush:

They're Canadian. They are the best guys on the planet. I don't know if being Canadian has anything to do with it, but Rush are one of the best hangs in show business. Back when my band, the Police, was a struggling punk rock [band], just trying to make noise and cause attention and throwing bombs wherever we could. Rush? That's some place where we threw bombs. ... And years later, it turns out Rush -- [the] guys in the band -- Neil Peart, is so Canadian that he didn't even mind. And we became really great friends in spite of the fact that we used to criticize his band when we were just trying to get attention. I think he's old and wise and Canadian enough to understand all that. They couldn't be nicer if they were New Zealanders, also a nation that only produces good people.

Rush is a Band Blog: Police drummer Stewart Copeland remembers throwing bombs at Rush in new interview

f***ing proud to be a Canadian. So many artists give us a good name. Thanks Rush!

Reactions: ArtPeur

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Police drummer Stewart Copeland had this to say about Rush:

They're Canadian. They are the best guys on the planet. I don't know if being Canadian has anything to do with it, but Rush are one of the best hangs in show business. Back when my band, the Police, was a struggling punk rock [band], just trying to make noise and cause attention and throwing bombs wherever we could. Rush? That's some place where we threw bombs. ... And years later, it turns out Rush -- [the] guys in the band -- Neil Peart, is so Canadian that he didn't even mind. And we became really great friends in spite of the fact that we used to criticize his band when we were just trying to get attention. I think he's old and wise and Canadian enough to understand all that. They couldn't be nicer if they were New Zealanders, also a nation that only produces good people.

Rush is a Band Blog: Police drummer Stewart Copeland remembers throwing bombs at Rush in new interview

****ing proud to be a Canadian. So many artists give us a good name. Thanks Rush!
nickleback and Bieber tho

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
The best drum solo I've ever witnessed was Neil Peart 2-3 years ago at the Bell Centre. He had three drum solos and he was surrounded by drums. He had a drum pad that would switch the sound of his drums. One of his solos was an impressive Drum and Bass/Jungle style solo that was mesmerizing. Best drummer in the world in my opinion.
If that was their 40th anniversary tour then I was at that same show. I happened to be going to Montreal at that time and decided to buy tickets. I arrived in town that afternoon, dropped off my bags and headed out to the Bell Centre. Summer of 2015 I believe it was. Peart's solo must have lasted a good 10 minutes.

Reactions: Runner77

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
John Bonham did a 40 minute solo at the Forum in 1970 or 71. Everyone was getting a little antsy near the 20 minute mark, thought he would never stop, then he dropped his sticks and used only his hands for the next 15. Incredible performance.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I am a fan of British folk rock and Richard Thompson was a guitarist with Fairport Convention, then he went solo and later he worked with his wife Linda, after their divorce he went back to solo. His is an amazing guitarist both electric and acoustic and a favorite of many well known artists. His lyrics are usually very bleak and he has written many anti war songs and this one is one of the best I have ever heard. It's about a forest in France during WWI called "The Woods of Darney". It was pretty hard to pick out since he likes to switch keys a lot but eventually I learned it. Here's live version.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I am a fan of British folk rock and Richard Thompson was a guitarist with Fairport Convention, then he went solo and later he worked with his wife Linda, after their divorce he went back to solo. His is an amazing guitarist both electric and acoustic and a favorite of many well known artists. His lyrics are usually very bleak and he has written many anti war songs and this one is one of the best I have ever heard. It's about a forest in France during WWI called "The Woods of Darney". It was pretty hard to pick out since he likes to switch keys a lot but eventually I learned it. Here's live version.

Cool.

Reminds me a bit of one of my favorite ballads, Al Stewart's 'Roads to Moscow' .

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
@Runner77

Here are some of the best tracks in any EDM genre that have lasted in my iTunes playlist for a significant amount of time. Others are in my Music folder, awaiting to be rediscovered and heard. I can listen to any sub-genre of trance, deep house or melodic techno all day long. I feel like I'm in a dreamlike state when I listen to these tracks, and they remind me of amazing times spent with three of my closest friends partying like there was no tomorrow at our cottages and in Montreal. Tracks with no lyrics are preferable, as the music allows me to create my own story to and meaning of the song, though I do have some tunes featuring vocals I cherish, but they take up a small percentage of my folder.

David August - Agatha (Original Mix) [Deep House]

Devangel - Bridge To Nowhere (Original Mix) [Melodic Techno]

Joachim Pastor - Clean Slate (Original Mix) [Melodic House & Techno]

Jorn van Deynhoven - New Horizons (A State Of Trance 650 Anthem) [Trance]
Jorn van Deynhoven - New Horizons (A State Of Trance 650 Anthem)

Martin Sundberg - Deep Forest (Original Mix) [Techno]
Marten Sundberg - Deep Forest (Original Mix)

Misja Helsloot vs. Thomas Decolita - Trail Of Tears (Sunleed Remix) [Trance]
Misja Helsloot vs. Thomas Decolita - Trail Of Tears (Sunleed Remix)

Nuera - Green Cape Sunset (Original Mix) [Trance] In my top-5 of all-time
Nuera - "Green Cape Sunset"

Relic Background - Moon (Gvozdini Remix) [Progressive House]
Moon (Gvozdini Remix)

Sam Waller - I Pointi Pointi (Original Mix) [Progressive House]
Sam Waller - I Pointi Pointi

Setrise - Imminence (Original Mix) [Trance] In my top-20 probably
Setrise - Imminence (Original Mix)

Sied van Riel - Past Present Future (Original Mix) [Trance]
Sied van Riel - Past Present Future (Original Mix)

Space RockerZ Pres. Pulse & Sphere - The Lost Stars (Pobsky & Paul Atkinson Remix) [Trance]
The Lost Stars (Pobsky & Paul Atkinson Remix)

Sunleed - Rising Moons (Original Mix) [Trance] In my top-5 of all-time
Sunleed - Rising Moons

Temple One - Zebra (Nuera Remix) [Trance] In my top-20 probably
Temple one - Zebra (nuera remix)

Tempo Giusto - Blow (Original Mix) [Trance] In my top-20 probably
Blow (Original Mix)

W&W - The Plan (Leon Bolier Remix) [Trance] In my top-5 of all-time
W & W - The Plan (Leon Bolier Remix) HD

Wojciech Tuszynski - Stab (Original Mix) [Trance]
Wojciech Tuszynski - Stab

Feel free to give me your honest thoughts. I doubt anyone on this forum has heard any of these tracks, but maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Holy hell I am so getting behind the times when it comes to music. Aside from Cypress Hill, RHCP and Radiohead, I don't know a single band named on Osheaga's show list.

Although I have to admit I'm much more a heavyMtl type.

Went to so many shows between 16 and 24, I don't go to shows all that much nowadays, been der don dat kinda feeling for me.

On another note, despite my punk and rock leanings, I can't go through a day without Yo-Yo Ma's take on Bach's Prelude to Suite #1.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Holy hell I am so getting behind the times when it comes to music. Aside from Cypress Hill, RHCP and Radiohead, I don't know a single band named on Osheaga's show list.

Although I have to admit I'm much more a heavyMtl type.

Went to so many shows between 16 and 24, I don't go to shows all that much nowadays, been der don dat kinda feeling for me.

On another note, despite my punk and rock leanings, I can't go through a day without Yo-Yo Ma's take on Bach's Prelude to Suite #1.
Theres nothing good on that list, youre fine.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
@Runner77

Here are some of the best tracks in any EDM genre that have lasted in my iTunes playlist for a significant amount of time. Others are in my Music folder, awaiting to be rediscovered and heard. I can listen to any sub-genre of trance, deep house or melodic techno all day long. I feel like I'm in a dreamlike state when I listen to these tracks, and they remind me of amazing times spent with three of my closest friends partying like there was no tomorrow at our cottages and in Montreal. Tracks with no lyrics are preferable, as the music allows me to create my own story to and meaning of the song, though I do have some tunes featuring vocals I cherish, but they take up a small percentage of my folder.

David August - Agatha (Original Mix) [Deep House]

I have just listened to the above track. It's attributed to David August and the title is Agatha. However, why does it say "Yoel Suban - Heaven At Night" when you view the clip?

It's a very particular genre. The music is soothing and as you aptly describe, "dreamlike".

I agree that tracks with no lyrics are the standard in this type of music however, there are acts that can really pull it off with vocals -- but it takes special vocals to make it work. Imagine a sensuous voice that blends in with the music, that also works.

I'm told there isn't much of a techno scene in Montreal. Best known venue that gets the biggest names is Stereo Bar and then you have Piknic Electronik. I've never attended but know people who do and they tell me the best techno scene is in Europe.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
I have just listened to the above track. It's attributed to David August and the title is Agatha. However, why does it say "Yoel Suban - Heaven At Night" when you view the clip?

It's a very particular genre. The music is soothing and as you aptly describe, "dreamlike".

I agree that tracks with no lyrics are the standard in this type of music however, there are acts that can really pull it off with vocals -- but it takes special vocals to make it work. Imagine a sensuous voice that blends in with the music, that also works.

I'm told there isn't much of a techno scene in Montreal. Best known venue that gets the biggest names is Stereo Bar and then you have Piknic Electronik. I've never attended but know people who do and they tell me the best techno scene is in Europe.
For your question, it's simply a box that redirects you to the "Yoel Suban" track. You can press "x" on the top-right corner as you move your cursor over the artist name and title.

You are right. There isn't much of a techno scene in Montreal. This past winter, however, I went to see "I Hate Models" & "Stranger" at a location in Verdun. It was well organized, the venue was nice, and the sound system was more than adequate for the type of music playing. The event was presented by OCTOV (<--- Facebook page). Their next event is on August 17 if you're interested. Also, Igloofest has been a blast these past couple of years, with good House and Techno artists playing in Montreal.

As for great vocal Trance tracks, here are a few:

Solarstone - The Spell (ft. Clare Stagg) (Pulser Remix)

Headstrong - Tears (ft. Stine Grove) (Aurosonic Progressive Mix)

Above & Beyond - Love Is Not Enough (ft. Zoe Johnston) (Original Mix)

Yuri Kane - Right Back (Anton Firtich Remix)
Yuri Kane - Right Back (Anton Firtich Remix) [HQ]

Wendel Kos - Restlesness (ft. Rose) (Original Mix)
Wendel Kos Feat Rose - Restlessness (club mix by dj coverius)

Dash Berlin - Till The Sky Falls Down (Original Vocal Mix)
Dash Berlin - Till The Sky Falls Down (Original Vocal Mix)

I own a trove of Trance music, which I'll have to rediscover someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad