OT: Music Thread

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
My favorite artist Anthony Hamilton is releasing a new album on the 25th. I'm quite excited, it is his first album since since 2011 (excluding a Christmas album). He's not a big name artist and has only charted with a handful of songs over his career; but I just feel a strong connection to his music.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
I know this isn't the type of music that most people on here listen to, but check out this video of Royal Blood. I've liked them for a while now, but I think it's amazing how they're a 2 piece band and the singer is plays a bass guitar and he's playing the bassline with his thumb while he gets a lead guitar sound out of the other 3 strings, pretty damn talented. The drummer is pretty badass too.

edit: if anyone liked that song, this full set is worth a watch.

Last edited:

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
So Prince passed away today at 57. I wasn't a huge fan of his, but did enjoy his music occasionally, and there was no denying his talent. This sucks, but not as much as Lemmy or Bowie's did (personally, anyway).

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
So Prince passed away today at 57. I wasn't a huge fan of his, but did enjoy his music occasionally, and there was no denying his talent. This sucks, but not as much as Lemmy or Bowie's did (personally, anyway).
I wasn't a fan of his music but yeah he was an exceptional talent and this is a significant loss in the music community.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Purple Rain is an all time classic album. Love that album to death. Excellent.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Prince changed music. It's always sad when someone passes, but the world lost am incredible talent.

The song Can't Keep my Hands to Myself sounds like something he would have wrote. It just shows his impact on music even today.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yesterday I learned people actually like Prince. :dunno:

I don't remember ever listening to his music, but when I was growing up, I thought he was something of a joke. I had the same revelation about Michael Jackson years ago. For the longest time I thought everyone hated him, but then realized that he was respected as a tremendous artist.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

I don't remember ever listening to his music, but when I was growing up, I thought he was something of a joke. I had the same revelation about Michael Jackson years ago. For the longest time I thought everyone hated him, but then realized that he was respected as a tremendous artist.

I feel similarly. I don't think I've ever listened to Prince at all. That said, it can't be denied the influence he had on many of the artists I listen to today. Same could be said for Michael Jackson (although I listened to a lot more of MJ in general).

Anyways, RIP. 2016 continues to be a rough one.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room

Maybe it's an age thing? Prince's peak was in the 80s when he went 13x platinum with Purple Rain.

He also had 16 albums crack the top 10 (4 were #1) and 12 platinum albums with another 8 that went gold. Most of this surprised me, says alot about the following he built.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I like 80s music. Back when CDs were relevant, my dad had all sorts of 80s music on CDs and we use to go for rides and he would put on his 80s music. We still go for here and there, but we don't listen to much 80s anymore. Still some 80s mixed in with modern stuff. I have about 80 songs on a 80s playlist on Spotify. Probably could add more, but it took a 1-2 hours find and remember songs.

I like all sorts of music mostly, except country. No thanks.

Last edited:

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I like 80s music. Back when CDs were relevant, my dad had all sorts of 80s music on CDs and we use to go for rides and he would put on his 80s music. We still go for here and there, but we don't listen to much 80s anymore. Still some 80s mixed in with modern stuff. I have about 80 songs on a 80s playlist on Spotify. Probably could add more, but it took a 1-2 hours find and remember songs.

I like all sorts of music mostly, except country. No thanks.

Yeah 80's music puts me in a really great mood. I put together an 80's playlist on my iPod a couple years back. When my sisters and I went on a road trip to Spokane, we were listening to it on the way back and it only looped back for the last half hour! Putting the playlist together was really interesting. There was a lot of synthetic sounds that spilled over from the 70's and as it got towards the 90's it transitioned into the hairbands.

With Spotify, there's a bunch of 80's playlists already. Just flip through them and pick off the songs you like and add it to yours. Most of the work is done for you already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->