SIHR Blog Multi-Sport Athletes in Early Era Hockey

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Sorry Sr.Edler, I don’t want to derail the thread, as it is about the early multi-sport athletes, but more modern guys have been brought up, so I’ll mention a few more.

Among the ones not mentioned yet, Jim Riley is a good example. He was mainly active in the 1920s, and I believe he is the only one to have played both in the NHL and the MLB.

Speaking of baseball. In modern times we have Tom Glavine and Kirk McCaskill.
Glavine a Hall of Famer in baseball was drafted in the NHL by LA, and it is always mentioned (like now) that he was picked ahead of Brett Hull and Luc Robitaille in that draft. I just looked it up and see that players like Gary Suter, Kirk McLean and Cliff Ronning were also picked after Glavine.

McCaskill, a Canadian baseball Hall of Famer played for Winnipeg in the 1983 preseason, having a pretty decent camp, scoring a goal or two and adding some assists. He played on lines that were led by Thomas Steen and Morris Lukowich. He eventually ended up in the AHL, but pursued a career in baseball.

Another modern example is Hank Lammens, an NHL player in the 1990s who later became a world champion in sailing, also competing in the Olympics.

Aside from Conacher and Lalonde who already have been mentioned, you have excellent Lacrosse players like Jack Bionda, Ike Hildebrand and Bucko McDonald, all played in the NHL and all were probably better as Lacrosse players (Hall of Famers), especially Bionda.

Let us not forget about Syl Apps. A star player in the NHL, but he was also an excellent pole vaulter, competing in the 1936 Olympics. I also believe that he was a gold medalist at the British Empire games, highly prestigious competition back in the days.

Bill Ezinicki became a golf pro and competed in many US opens, although I don’t think he placed high in any tournaments of significance. I know that Dan Quinn who had a very decent NHL career in the 1980s and 90s, also was a very good golfer who caddied for guys like Ernie Els and John Daly.

The late Bruce Greig who once played with California in the NHL (1970s) set several Canadian powerlifting records back in the days. He benched well over 400 Ibs and deadlifted well over 800 Ibs.

Stewart Iglehart was offered an NHL contract by Lester Patrick and played for their farm team in the EHL. He won the 1933 World Championships with USA and was selected to represent USA at the 1936 Olympics (had to decline the invitation), but he was also one of the best polo players in the world. Iglehart had a 10-goal rating in polo which I remember reading about was/is quite rare.
A few years ago there were less than ten players in the world with a 10-goal rating.

Someone mentioned Tommy Burns, a terrific boxer, but I am not sure how much hockey or lacrosse he played, and at what level. I’m trying to think of other hockey players who fought (aside from Conacher).

Dave Semenko had his weird exhibition bout with Muhammad Ali. Donald Brashear had one MMA fight against a nobody.
I think George Laracque had some sort of exhibition “bout” with MMA legend Georges St.Pierre. Steve Bosse who was pretty successful in the UFC used to be a crowd favorite in the LNAH. Nick Fotiu and Mike Wong were said to have been Golden Gloves boxers, Wong even winning the Minnesota title. However they all fall short of a legitimate multi sport athlete (Maybe Bosse fits that bill).

Then we of course have a whole bunch of Europeans who played hockey at the Olympics or World Championships, that also excelled in other sports.

Reactions: sr edler

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Canadian baseball player Matt Stairs was also an excellent hockey player, and was probably at least as good at hockey as he was at baseball.

He suffered a knee injury when he was a teenager, and thereafter decided to focus on baseball. He still played high school hockey locally, but didn't pursue major junior or US prep even though he easily could have.

He had NHL skills.

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Decent goalie and probably best Wanderers had since Riley Hern.

Yeah, the Wanderers had a kinda revolving door of goalies after Hern left, but you think McCarthy was better than Billy Nicholson? Perhaps I just casually overrates Nicholson though because he won a Cup with the Little Men of Iron, and just had a longer career than McCarthy, playing in the IPHL (Calumet) and on the Montreal Shamrocks too, and then a number of NHA teams.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Yeah, the Wanderers had a kinda revolving door of goalies after Hern left, but you think McCarthy was better than Billy Nicholson? Perhaps I just casually overrates Nicholson though because he won a Cup with the Little Men of Iron, and just had a longer career than McCarthy, playing in the IPHL (Calumet) and on the Montreal Shamrocks too, and then a number of NHA teams.

Nope not career wise or peak wise. But at his time in Wanderers Nicholson was already badly past his prime (His decline probably started after Shamrocks). His weight issues were raised and I do believe Ottawa Citizen went as far as to call all the goalies Wanderers had that season jokes. He just was that available willing to play pro goalie.

edit. Though I do believe Nicholson is sometimes overrated. His name is brought next in line after the HOFamers which I do not agree.

Last edited:

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Gump Worsley was a fine soccer player, in addition to his Hall of Fame career as a hockey goalie. When Tottenham Spurs made their first tour of North America in 1952, Worsley played centre forward for a Saskatoon team that opposed them, and scored the lone Saskatoon goal in an 18-1 loss. And in the summer of 1953, Worsley captained a Montreal squad that lost in the Canadian amateur finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad