Proposal: MTL x SJS

Will Smith for 5-7OA

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I don't know that this actually fills a lot of holes for the Sharks. Smith and Beck fill the same spot hypothetically. Engstrom may end up being a solid shutdown defenseman but the Sharks have quite a bit on the left side that would be in a similar boat between Mukhamadullin, Thrun, Cagnoni, and Furlong. You can pick at that how you want but I just don't see that as filling a hole. Fowler and the pick could but that pick is likely a secondary level player when the Sharks need top talent if they ever hope to compete again. I don't think Beck fills that spot in the same way that Smith does and I don't think those other pieces are going to amount to the same level.

Though I don't want it to come off like it is quantity for quality as I do think those are still very good pieces. The Sharks though need to focus on what will address the top of their lineup first and foremost.
I definitely understand what your getting at. I just think that having 3 picks in the top 10 of the draft puts the Sharks in the driver-seat of the draft and they would be able to control how it goes.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I definitely understand what your getting at. I just think that having 3 picks in the top 10 of the draft puts the Sharks in the driver-seat of the draft and they would be able to control how it goes.
I think you're right that it would put them in the driver's seat for this draft. I just don't think this draft is going to have the same impact as last year's where that sort of thing would have significant impact. This one seems like if the players hit, they will be second level sort of players. Things that are still needed for sure but not to the same level as what Smith addresses if he hits. That and the Pittsburgh pick may end up deferring to 2025.

Reactions: Xirik

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
2024 1st round pick + Beck + Fowler + Engstrom

for

Smith

Yeah it looks like a quantity not quality trade but Beck and Fowler are the top Center and Goalie prospects in the Habs organization and Engstrom looks to be a good shutdown defenseman.

Montreal gets Smith without giving up Reinbacher by giving up some of their prospect depth

San Jose Fills a lot of Holes in their depth while controlling the top 10 of the 2024 draft with three picks.
So sharks move their C with 1st line potential, for a later first, a goalie, ANOTHER middle 6 c prospect and ANOTHER LHD prospect.

How about instead Reinbacher for PIT 1st, Bordeleau, Thrun, and Makaniemi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think if Montreal wants Smith out of San Jose, it starts with Reinbacher and the 1st in 2024. If that's a non-starter, I would understand but the Sharks are not going to give up a quality center prospect for a prospect that isn't of similar value and importance.
I think Mailloux may be better than Reinbacher.

Which is both an affirmation of Mailloux as a promising prospect and a criticism of Reinbacher, whom I don’t think highly of.

Last edited:

Grinner

May 31, 2022
That was deep. Did you take a survey?

Seriously, just stick to hockey trades and don't worry about Hab fans feelings. I promise you, we don't care about Shark fans feelings.
Obviously. Although thst seems universal for the most part.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
If we wanted to make this close(r), it should've been #5 as well as #25, and only if Pittsburgh's pick was pushed back to next year, and only on the draft floor if there were a player (presumably a D) that SJ really wanted.

Even then, I think SJ says no, but it might have been closer.

Reactions: themelkman

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Will Smith would be 2nd overall in this year draft so no from SJS perspective, IF SJS wants a D prospects not Reinbacher in the MTL group I would be open to boost the offer for Smith

Grinner

May 31, 2022
The idea of having both Celebrini and Smith manning the top 6 center position for the next decade is to intriguing to pass up.
The Sharks will undoubtedly be in a position to add Hensler in 2025 to the D pool

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00