Confirmed with Link: [MTL/VAN] Brandon Prust for Zack Kassian & 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
What's really impressive about him to me is that he's full out admitted every fault to a tee today. Admitting something is basically 80% of the job in correcting it. Kassian is coming here with something to prove imo.

I've listened to a few of his interviews during his time in Vancouver. He's always been able to say the right things. It's a matter of actually doing it.

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015
Bergevin just traded a 31yo torned with injuries 4th liner for a 24yo 3rd liner who has atitude problems... unlike the injuries kassian's problems can be fixed

Prust bearly puts up 5 goals in a season, Kassian is a 15 goal scorer (14 goals in 70 games and 10 goals in 42 games)

We needed goals we got some...

the top 6 wasn't the biggest problem last year in terms of scoring, the bottom 6 bearly put up any goals during the season and in the playoffs. Weise got the majority of his points on the top 6, Eller didn't produce as expected (no opportunities to do so), DLR doesn't have the shot to score goals in the NHL, DSP was a big disapointement and Maholtra well he got 1 right?

Even if Kassian doesn't break the hab's top 6 he'll be a big plus for the team and there's a chance that one of Hudon, Andrighetto or Sherbak makes the team this year (I would say Andrighetto is the closest)

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Bergevin just traded a 31yo torned with injuries 4th liner for a 24yo 3rd liner who has atitude problems... unlike the injuries kassian's problems can be fixed

Prust bearly puts up 5 goals in a season, Kassian is a 15 goal scorer (14 goals in 70 games and 10 goals in 42 games)

We needed goals we got some...

the top 6 wasn't the biggest problem last year in terms of scoring, the bottom 6 bearly put up any goals during the season and in the playoffs. Weise got the majority of his points on the top 6, Eller didn't produce as expected (no opportunities to do so), DLR doesn't have the shot to score goals in the NHL, DSP was a big disapointement and Maholtra well he got 1 right?

Even if Kassian doesn't break the hab's top 6 he'll be a big plus for the team and there's a chance that one of Hudon, Andrighetto or Sherbak makes the team this year (I would say Andrighetto is the closest)

You do realize Kassian missed the stretch drive and playoffs this year with back issues?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
There's one thing I don't understand. How can this relatively minor trade trigger so many pages and pages of posts?

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
I'm really angry about this trade (Canucks fan). Both the return and the giving up on Kassian despite clear progress.

One thing that I think you need to keep in mind with Zack though is:

Zack Kassian is not a power forward.

He doesn't play like the traditional conception of what a 'power forward' plays like. He's an excellent passer, and is good in front of the net, but doesn't really drive to the net with the puck like you'd expect a 'power forward' to. He can fight really well when he needs to, but I view him as more of a middle six playmaking winger who just happens to be 6'3" and 220lb.

Apr 28, 2010
I'm really angry about this trade (Canucks fan). Both the return and the giving up on Kassian despite clear progress.

One thing that I think you need to keep in mind with Zack though is:

He doesn't play like the traditional conception of what a 'power forward' plays like. He's an excellent passer, and is good in front of the net, but doesn't really drive to the net with the puck like you'd expect a 'power forward' to. He can fight really well when he needs to, but I view him as more of a middle six playmaking winger who just happens to be 6'3" and 220lb.

Hopefully (a small guy like) Gallagher can show him how to be one.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Garbage collector more like it any GM just off a Semi final conference loss would address team need, MB makes a cash saving minor trade and thinks he is a step closer to the finals lol. With Kassian is Montreal better than Tampa Bay? I say no MB fixed the team how?

We added goals.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Everything that has been said about Kassian was said about Weise too. They wanted Weise to play tougher. To fight more. He wasn't a team player because he wanted to be more than be a goon. He was selfish and individualistic, thought only of himself, etc. etc. That turned out just fine for us.

Basically, what I'm hearing from Canucks fans is don't expect Lucic. He'll fight occasionally but it's not a big part of his game. He doesn't always finish his checks, and he doesn't intimidate in that way. But, he has soft hands and can play.

He sounds more like a Kevin Stevens to me, at worst Dustin Penner, another guy who disappointed teams with a lack of physical engagement at times and had issues with work ethic and fitness. Or, maybe a Bickell. We'll see what we get with Kassian, but he's worth a look.

The good news is MT is a coach who does not coach an overly physical game. He's more interested in players playing the system and "working hard." It's why Weise has fit in here. I don't think there will be high expectations for Kassian just contribute to a balanced team. That alone should help him.

As a right hand shot, I expect they'll be a place for him on the PP with Patches and DD. It's going to be sweet having that big guy in front.

Gally drops to the 2nd unit with Chucky and Pleks.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
Everything that has been said about Kassian was said about Weise too. They wanted Weise to play tougher. To fight more. He wasn't a team player because he wanted to be more than be a goon. He was selfish and individualistic, thought only of himself, etc. etc. That turned out just fine for us.

Basically, what I'm hearing from Canucks fans is don't expect Lucic. He'll fight occasionally but it's not a big part of his game. He doesn't always finish his checks, and he doesn't intimidate in that way. But, he has soft hands and can play.

He sounds more like a Kevin Stevens to me, at worst Dustin Penner, another guy who disappointed teams with a lack of physical engagement at times and had issues with work ethic and fitness. Or, maybe a Bickell. We'll see what we get with Kassian, but he's worth a look.

The good news is MT is a coach who does not coach an overly physical game. He's more interested in players playing the system and "working hard." It's why Weise has fit in here. I don't think there will be high expectations for Kassian just contribute to a balanced team. That alone should help him.

As a right hand shot, I expect they'll be a place for him on the PP with Patches and DD. It's going to be sweet having that big guy in front.

Gally drops to the 2nd unit with Chucky and Pleks.

He is one cross check away from IR...

Capitaine Subban*

Kassian wasn't really used in the top-6 last year. He spent most of the season on the 3rd line centered by Richardson/Vey and with Matthias/Dorsett on LW. Vrbata/Burrows were RW1 and 2 for most of the season.

Many Canucks fans felt that Kassian deserved top-6 or PP opportunities though but was never given it because the team wanted him to be and tried making him into a grinder.

So Kassian is our 2nd Eller :naughty: I like the move, hopefully one of our kid can challenge for the 2nd/3rd rw spot.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006

He also doesn't stand in front of the net, he rather have the puck on his stick, he also doesn't take the puck to the net like Burrows, Bo, and Gallagher .

He only had 1 fight this season.

3 last season.

Montreal fans should expect a guy who has nice wheels, can shoot the puck, but most important that he can pass the puck, he has good vision on the ice.

Don't expect him to play similar to Simmonds, Lucic, Backes, heck even Hartnell plays more of a PF game than Kassian.

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal

Kassian was a first round pick who had/has Milan Lucic type potential. The highest potential Weise has ever had was as a 3rd line player.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
He also doesn't stand in front of the net, he rather have the puck on his stick, he also doesn't take the puck to the net like Burrows, Bo, and Gallagher .

3 last season.

Montreal fans should expect a guy who has nice wheels, can shoot the puck, but most important that he can pass the puck, he has good vision on the ice.

Don't expect him to play similar to Simmonds, Lucic, Backes, heck even Hartnell plays more of a PF game than Kassian.

Perfectly happy with the bolded. Sounds like a guy who could be that big top 6 RW we've been missing, if he continues to improve and fulfills his potential.Thank you for your assessment. :)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

3 last season.

Honestly, that sounds like a really good fit with Eller on the 3rd line. He plays a 200 foot game, skates really well and attacks the net constantly. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the vision to distribute the puck very well.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Honestly, that sounds like a really good fit with Eller on the 3rd line. He plays a 200 foot game, skates really well and attacks the net constantly. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the vision to distribute the puck very well.

Another fan said he actually doesn't rush the net all that much.
But in Vancouver he was also somewhat sheltered. He isn't used to the minutes Eller plays. I suspect he'd have a tough time next to Eller.

Kassian will be playing RW to Pacioretty.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006

Do you guys use your third line as a hybrid checking/scoring line?

If the third line is deploy against opponents top lines Kassian will be fine back-checking (AV/Torts really taught him to back-check) but even right now he struggles clearing the zone, so thats another thing to keep in mind. He is also awkward blocking shots and protecting his point.

This is why he ended up having low ice time. He didn't kill penalties, rarely got any PP time (blame the coaching staff) and the canucks try to avoid the matchup against top lines when the kassian line was out there. The bonino/higgins line was in charge of "checking"

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

3 last season.

So he's similar to Pacioretty then?

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Do you guys use your third line as a hybrid checking/scoring line?

If the third line is deploy against opponents top lines Kassian will be fine back-checking (AV/Torts really taught him to back-check) but even right now he struggles clearing the zone, so thats another thing to keep in mind. He is also awkward blocking shots and protecting his point.

This is why he ended up having low ice time. He didn't kill penalties, rarely got any PP time (blame the coaching staff) and the canucks try to avoid the matchup against top lines when the kassian line was out there. The bonino/higgins line was in charge of "checking"

When Montreal had something resembling good winger depth the third line was a hybrid checking/scoring unit. More recently though, the job of the third line has typcially to send Lars Eller out with a pair of grinders/scrubs in defensive situations and expect them to move the puck up the ice/not get slaughtered too badly. Hopefully adding guys like Kassian may lead to the third line having enough talent on the wings again that they can conceivably threaten to score goals again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad