Confirmed with Link: [MTL/TB] Sergachev + cond. 2nd (2018) for Drouin + cond. 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Both players would be better in TB but the Drouin trade only made sense if we were trying to capitalize on the Cup window our GM refused to accept existed

The loss of Markov and Radulov and adding nothing else was an epic fail
The window closed when Subban was traded. There was still a slim chance after that but Weber is 30 years old, he can't even fight anymore. His contract is guaranteed. He won gold medals, scored a lot of goals. And now he's friend with Pacioretty. Need I say more?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Looking terribad now. Imagine in a few years. If we still employ Drouin at C, this will go down one of the worst trade in recent history.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
How to lose a trade 101.

Trade your best prospect to a good team, in a good environment, he develops properly. A rookie defenseman that outproduces any of our Habs.

Bring a talented winger, converts and expects him to be our savior 1st C... he fails.. now cut his minutes to 3rd line minutes.. AND still keep him at C..

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
How to lose a trade 101.

Trade your best prospect to a good team, in a good environment, he develops properly. A rookie defenseman that outproduces any of our Habs.

Bring a talented winger, converts and expects him to be our savior 1st C... he fails.. now cut his minutes to 3rd line minutes.. AND still keep him at C..

How about we wait?

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Looking terribad now. Imagine in a few years. If we still employ Drouin at C, this will go down one of the worst trade in recent history.
Worst than even Mcdonagh for Gomez right-now. You don't ever trade a potential number one defenceman for just a winger. And the worst part? Molson is 100% behind Bergevin.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I love to **** on Bergevin, but come on.
Bergevin has nothing to do with the McD Gomez but it's super close. Gomez was a superstar and McDonagh was in the minor. Now they traded Sergachev who was in the minor for superstar Drouin.
In the end both trade will end up being a disaster for this team. Only because one of the guy speak french, they traded Sergachev away. I don't give a shit what language they speak if they can perform.

Don't get me wrong I like Drouin but Sergachev has a higher ceiling and Sergachev is 2 or more years younger. Which could have helped instead of getting Drouin at 5.5m.

Last edited:

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I agree that it was a bad trade, but not as bad as McDo/Gomez. When We traded for Gomez my first question to myself was what prospect had they sent with him to sweeten the deal. I never expected we would have to give something of value as Gomez was clearly on the decline, and his contract was enormous.

Drouin is much better, but he is not a #1-2 D for years to come. We should have go a better draft exchange with it .... like Drouin and a 2nd for Sergachev.

Anyway, Sergechev hadn’t shown anything at that point. It was all potential. It is hard to see how well prospects will transfer .... but Sergechev looked to be a sure thing.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Bergevin has nothing to do with the McD Gomez but it's super close. Gomez was a superstar and McDonagh was in the minor. Now they traded Sergachev who was in the minor for superstar Drouin.

McDonagh was still playing college hockey, who was traded for a 30 year old Gomez, who was in his 10th NHL season. And he was already on the decline since leaving the Devils and joining the Rangers.

Drouin is only 22 years old and has only 2 full NHL seasons under his belt. He hasn't hit his prime yet. So the deals are far from close.

In the end both trade will end up being a disaster for this team. Only because one of the guy speak french, they traded Sergachev away. I don't give a **** what language they speak if they can perform.

Drouin is a great hockey player, very exciting to watch. Who gives a crap if he is a local kid? I wouldn't doubt Habs looked at that as being an aspect they were looking to acquire him. But if you ONLY see language as a reason for this trade (as you say so yourself) and you ignore that he is actually a great hockey player, then the problem lies on your end.

Don't get me wrong I like Drouin but Sergachev has a higher ceiling and Sergachev is 2 or more years younger. Which could have helped instead of getting Drouin at 5.5m.

He is 3 years younger (Drouin is 22 and Sergachev is 19). However, 3 years younger at their ages is really not that big of a deal. Had they traded Sergachev for Patrice Bergeron, I'd be with you about the age difference. Bergeron may be an undisputed center, but they'd be giving up 13 years in age. They acquired a player in Drouin, who still has his entire career in front of him. And his contract at 5.5M will be a bargain.

You can't look at the deal 2 and a half months into the season and come to a conclusion on how it will look in 2 or 3 years or further down the line.

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
How to lose a trade 101.

The veraciousness of your post has me staring like a deer in the headlights.
I just cant believe what has happened to this team.I dont even get angry anymore,...its just acceptance.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I was very happy with the trade when it happened. It was a huge trade for us and I thought we were going to go all in. With Emelin’s contract off the book we had enough cap space to bring a top 6 center.

After for whatever reason Bergevin started playing hardball with Radulov, ignored Markov completly and signed Alzner.

Why the **** would you trade for Drouin if the plan was to downgrade and end up having a worst lineup?

The day the trade happened, it made sense but became useless when we lost Radulov, Markov and gave our top 6 C money to Alzner.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He is 3 years younger (Drouin is 22 and Sergachev is 19). However, 3 years younger at their ages is really not that big of a deal. Had they traded Sergachev for Patrice Bergeron, I'd be with you about the age difference. Bergeron may be an undisputed center, but they'd be giving up 13 years in age. They acquired a player in Drouin, who still has his entire career in front of him. And his contract at 5.5M will be a bargain.

You can't look at the deal 2 and a half months into the season and come to a conclusion on how it will look in 2 or 3 years or further down the line.

I would argue that the 3 year gap between 19 and 22 is one of the biggest deals so far as age gaps go. Sure, we don't sacrifice many of the prime years of the players in question, but when it comes to evaluating the trade it affects the result greatly. You should expect pretty vastly different results in a player's performance between the ages of 19-22 as during these years most players experience significant physical development, whereas players are usually about as good as they'll be between ages 22-25. Right now their on-ice value is probably pretty close. 3 years from now? It could be a landslide in Tampa's favour.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I would argue that the 3 year gap between 19 and 22 is one of the biggest deals so far as age gaps go. Sure, we don't sacrifice many of the prime years of the players in question, but when it comes to evaluating the trade it affects the result greatly. You should expect pretty vastly different results in a player's performance between the ages of 19-22 as during these years most players experience significant physical development, whereas players are usually about as good as they'll be between ages 22-25. Right now their on-ice value is probably pretty close. 3 years from now? It could be a landslide in Tampa's favour.

Fair argument. You're right about their physical growth around that age. However, I personally don't look at it as an indication that this trade will heavily weigh in Tampa's favor because of it.

I'm confident Sergachev will have success. I don't look at that as meaning Drouin won't, though. Or even that Sergachev will be better in Tampa than Drouin will be in Montreal.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
MB must've watched last nights game and thought to himself...drouin is not that good.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
It was a bad trade from day 1. You never trade a young potential #1 defencemen for an inconsistent winger. And I guarentee the only reason it was made was because Drouin is french-Canadian.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
How to lose a trade 101.

This is correct, but doesn't get to the real problem of this trade:

How to lose a trade 101: trade an elite player from a position of need (top pairing dmen) for an elite player at a position of strength (top six wingers) not because you want to improve the wing position, but because you want to bring in a talented French Quebecer. This wasn't mainly a hockey trade. It was mainly Chelios - Savard all over again. But it was partially McDonagh-Gomez: failing to fill the number one or even number 2 center position by sacrificing a top pairing/number 1 d prospect. But no way Bergevin does this trade if Drouin isn't a French Quebecer. So that's what this trade was really about.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
It is a fact that the Habs would be much better off with Serg + Radulov.

The comparison is Sergachev - Drouin.

Radulov should have been here regardless. But Drouin has potential.

Imo, a top six of
Pacioretty Danault Radulov
Byron Galchenyuk Drouin

is a really good top six. Radulov makes all the difference. Because if a team tries too hard to stop one line, the other line gets less good defensive coveraage.

Pluswe'd have secondary scoring from:

Hudon Plekanec Gallagher
Lehkonen Shaw Carr

Reactions: Uncle Gary

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The comparison is Sergachev - Drouin.

Radulov should have been here regardless. But Drouin has potential.

Imo, a top six of
Pacioretty Danault Radulov
Byron Galchenyuk Drouin

is a really good top six. Radulov makes all the difference. Because if a team tries too hard to stop one line, the other line gets less good defensive coveraage.

Pluswe'd have secondary scoring from:

Hudon Plekanec Gallagher
Lehkonen Shaw Carr

We could’ve had that, but the GM bought a dog.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The best thing to happen To Sergachev was to get traded. That is also the worst thing that happened to Drouin.

You can always count on Bergevin to make the wrong moves. That’s his legacy

Reactions: Uncle Gary

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The best thing to happen To Sergachev was to get traded. That is also the worst thing that happened to Drouin.

You can always count on Bergevin to make the wrong moves. That’s his legacy

You want to make the right moves? Buy a PlayStation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad