Confirmed with Link: [MTL] Peter Holland (2 years, $575K, 2way yr 1)

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Holland will most probably never live up to his draft status. His best year were when the Leafs landed Marner and Matthews and were due to the lack of depth.

Even then, he only managed 27 points -16.

At best , he replaces Mitchell or Martinsen.

He played behind Kadri and Bozak, so he was a third line center on a terrible team.

He got 27 points in 65 GP, 34 points pace over 82 games.

You're underrating this guy.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
How good is he in the dot?
Career: 45.6%. Last two years with 40+ games: 45.3% and 45.4%.
Not good considering he is 26 years old.

As a point of reference, Galchenyuk has 45.5% FO in his career.
Same here. I remember being impressed a few years back on the Leafs. I thought he would blossom nicely....a big center drafted very high.

Is there any chance he could improve under Claude?
Anything can happen when a coach gives you icetime.

Byron was about 26 years old when we picked him off waivers.
We were lucky to be third in choice that year because he would have been gone well before 20th position.

Where MB did really good was to sign him to a two year contract.
For now he just needs to be better than Mac/JDLR/Hudon/Martinsens/Mitchell.

If he really wants it he doesn't have an all star field to beat out.

Probably ends up in the AHL but good to have some internal competition.
As Mac can go trough waivers, he does not compete with him.
But Mac improve a lot last summer.

DLR and Hudon have to go through waivers and they should be picked.
Hudon is better at scoring goals and DLR is taller and bigger.
Those two still have a few years to go before reaching 26 years old.

Holland has a career pace of 27 points with 13:17 TOI/GP so certainly no PP or very little but who would give PP to a player with a pace below 35 points?
Look at our team: Byron and Lehkonen are better and they have no PP.
I'm liking this signature more and more. I like the potential, much higher than Martinsen. If Holland and DLR do pan out, pretty sure Mitchell, Martinsen and, even if I love the guy a lot, Byron, will be expendable.
Byron brings top of the league PK, top speed and 22G and 40+ points is really good.

For me, Byron is a pretty good deal.

Mitchell, on the other hand, could be expendable.
As I was looking at FO for Mitchell, I was surprised to see that he was below 50% pretty much every year before he came to Montreal at 30 years old.
Does he still have a chance to turn his career around?
Judging by his highlights, he has a ton of skill
Seems it is his last chance for NHL.
But you could have said the same with Byron.

He was OK in Toronto two years ago but there is a lot of competition for that spot.

CJ will have all the cards needed to build the team he wants except having a sure top center.
So unless things change, Galchenyuk will have to be that center.
Danault/Plekanec can be top-9 centers but who does it in 2018-19?
If DLR does not become at least a third line center next year, the UFA centers in 2018 are plenty. This year was depleted: there was Hanzal and Thornton.

In the mean time, we have 16 forwards that will compete for 13 spots at the camp.
Top-10 are Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Drouin, Lehkonen, Danault, Shaw, Byron, Hemsky and Plekanec.

Mitchell (32), Carr (25), Martinsen (27), Holland (26), DLR (21) and Hudon (22) will be compete for 3 spots.
So three of these players will have to go through waivers if they can not play in NHL.
McCarron could mess this up if he has another summer like last summer as far as training goes. His speed improved last year and lower body also.

The one that could surprise many is Martinsen, this guy has 66 NHL even if he is 27 years old. He can hit and skate and was never playing at that level in Norway.

Hudon will definitively be picked on waivers.
DLR would most likely be picked also.

As for Holland, having a spot in our roster is an uphill battle.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
In the mean time, we have 16 forwards that will compete for 13 spots at the camp.
Top-10 are Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Drouin, Lehkonen, Danault, Shaw, Byron, Hemsky and Plekanec.

Aren't NHL teams allowed to carry 23 players? So that could mean 13 forwards and 8 defencemen or 14 and 7.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He's going to play with a quicker unit in Montreal, maybe Julien can push this guy to another level.

I really like this low cost, divident possible gamble.
Agreed...this could be another one of MB's dumpster dive deals...he does have some luck finding these types of moves...I think we will all be surprised by Holland.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I have a hard time getting my hopes up because he is at his 4th team... there would be a LOT of people that messed up if he was able to get things on track this time around.

I mean, it is possible... but that chances seem slim, IMO. He will, however, at the very least be a nice depth player in case of injury and help the AHL club.

If eveything goes perfect, he could be a 45ish pts player (he would need 1st PP time for that) and in that case, this would be an unbelievable turn of circomstances.

Hopefully he becomes the new John Leclair. :popcorn:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If no more moves are made, unless he had a great camp or others like DLR, Hudon, have bad ones, I could see him starting the year in the AHL and being the first call up for the forwards.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If no more moves are made, unless he had a great camp or others like DLR, Hudon, have bad ones, I could see him starting the year in the AHL and being the first call up for the forwards.
Most likely scenario...for some reason though, I am thinking he pushes Mitchell out, or to the wing...

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
He played behind Kadri and Bozak, so he was a third line center on a terrible team.

He got 27 points in 65 GP, 34 points pace over 82 games.

You're underrating this guy.

No, you're overrating him. He's here to Play in Laval. They wanna have a good team for attendance.
Stop thinking everything Bergevin does is a coup. Remember Holloway ???? Holland will be great for Laval

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Vets will prevail as usual. Hudon and DLR don't need to have a bad camp. To play instead of Hemsky or even Holland they'll need to shine A LOT like Lehkonen did last year. A normal camp and they don't make the starting lineup. If they make it 5 bad games and it's over.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Vets will prevail as usual. Hudon and DLR don't need to have a bad camp. To play instead of Hemsky or even Holland they'll need to shine A LOT like Lehkonen did last year. A normal camp and they don't make the starting lineup. If they make it 5 bad games and it's over.

I don't think so with DLR, I would think CJ will be a big fan. DLR has gotten off to slow starts each year (though his rookie year at 19 in Hamilton he was on the 4th line so he didn't play that much) He was just terrible the following season on a line with Dumont and Scherbak as it was Scherbak carrying the play as Dumont was surprisingly bad as well. This past season he was with Friberg a lot and started very slow again. I would think with him needing to clear waivers, CJ will give him a good bit of room. Hudon though I fear won't get the same treatment being an undersized player. I would think he's going to need to produce right off the bat or else he could be in trouble to make/stick with the roster.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I don't think so with DLR, I would think CJ will be a big fan. DLR has gotten off to slow starts each year (though his rookie year at 19 in Hamilton he was on the 4th line so he didn't play that much) He was just terrible the following season on a line with Dumont and Scherbak as it was Scherbak carrying the play as Dumont was surprisingly bad as well. This past season he was with Friberg a lot and started very slow again. I would think with him needing to clear waivers, CJ will give him a good bit of room. Hudon though I fear won't get the same treatment being an undersized player. I would think he's going to need to produce right off the bat or else he could be in trouble to make/stick with the roster.

I'm sure you have answered this somewhere, but who do you think has a better chance to be productive on the Habs- Hudon or DLR? And why? Thanks.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm sure you have answered this somewhere, but who do you think has a better chance to be productive on the Habs- Hudon or DLR? And why? Thanks.

that's hard to say, DLR I see as a safer bet to be a decent 4th liner in the NHL that excels on the PK but I have major doubts about him being much better then that. Maybe if his offensive game really translates he could be a good 3rd liner. Hudon it's just impossible to say, at worst he's a good AHLer but the upside is maybe an average 1st liner if everything fell into place and then some. He's got the skills and smarts but not sure he can overcome them to even be a solid NHLer. I do think and expect to be an solid NHLer but I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't make it nor would I be shocked if he turned into say a solid 2nd line LW for us down the road (meaning more towards his prime). I really like hudon's game, man do I hope his skating can improve cause he's a real treat to watch and can be deadly to play against.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
that's hard to say, DLR I see as a safer bet to be a decent 4th liner in the NHL that excels on the PK but I have major doubts about him being much better then that. Maybe if his offensive game really translates he could be a good 3rd liner. Hudon it's just impossible to say, at worst he's a good AHLer but the upside is maybe an average 1st liner if everything fell into place and then some. He's got the skills and smarts but not sure he can overcome them to even be a solid NHLer. I do think and expect to be an solid NHLer but I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't make it nor would I be shocked if he turned into say a solid 2nd line LW for us down the road (meaning more towards his prime). I really like hudon's game, man do I hope his skating can improve cause he's a real treat to watch and can be deadly to play against.

Wow, your thoughts on Hudon are two different extremes. I hope the positive thought prevails. We sure can use him.

As for DLR, I guess I should be happy with a solid 4th line player if that is all he can be. He seems to be solid defensively and on the PK so maybe that should be enough, right?

Thank you.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
just fyi we were 29th choice when we got byron. waiver status was based on regular season from previous season. no one else put a claim on him and we only did because of the kassian incident

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Wow, your thoughts on Hudon are two different extremes. I hope the positive thought prevails. We sure can use him.

As for DLR, I guess I should be happy with a solid 4th line player if that is all he can be. He seems to be solid defensively and on the PK so maybe that should be enough, right?

Thank you.

well you have two very different outcomes, one his skill/smarts overcome his skating/speed issues, if so there's no telling how good he can be. Or he doesn't overcome them and if not he's going to struggle to be a full time NHLer.

I really like DLR on the PK, so I think he stands a good shot at being a decent 4th liner, the big question will always be his offense. He's still so young that perhaps he finds ways to put up 20+ points. If so then great for us as he would bring offense, size, and a heck of a defensive game. I'm talking about down the road though, not 20+ points in the next few seasons. For now I just hope he can be a solid 4th liner for us.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
well you have two very different outcomes, one his skill/smarts overcome his skating/speed issues, if so there's no telling how good he can be. Or he doesn't overcome them and if not he's going to struggle to be a full time NHLer.

I really like DLR on the PK, so I think he stands a good shot at being a decent 4th liner, the big question will always be his offense. He's still so young that perhaps he finds ways to put up 20+ points. If so then great for us as he would bring offense, size, and a heck of a defensive game. I'm talking about down the road though, not 20+ points in the next few seasons. For now I just hope he can be a solid 4th liner for us.

I'm surprised DLR has not already become a strong 4th liner for us. I really am not looking at his offensive production, I don't think he'll ever amount to much of anything on that side of the ice. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I mean Torrey Mitchell doesn't crack the 20 pt mark either.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

That's such a stretch!

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
it's not. He can do it all as he's got the shot, is a very good playmaker and can stickhandle/deke well. He has the talent to be a 50 pt player in the NHL, the only question is if his skating/speed will hold him back from reaching that.

hahaha for some reason I thought you were talking about DLR!

I do agree about Hudon. His future really does span from top 6er in the NHL to career AHLer imo. Any improvement in his skating will only help. He could vey well possibly get away without it. He'd have to at least get stronger imo.

I've always been a fan up until last preseason when he just seemed really slow in one of the games I saw and I felt that he was done as being an actual prospect but seemed to show some decent things before he got injured.

Fingers crossed. It would be such a waste of skill if he couldn't get his skating in order.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Interesting note by Friedman in his 30 thoughts. The rich teams are offering AHL players a one-way clause to get them to sign. You can bury up to 1.05m per contract in the minors, so teams are taking advantage of that, hence the Holland, Froese and Taormina contracts.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Interesting note by Friedman in his 30 thoughts. The rich teams are offering AHL players a one-way clause to get them to sign. You can bury up to 1.05m per contract in the minors, so teams are taking advantage of that, hence the Holland, Froese and Taormina contracts.

I brought it up the Taormina thread, the Habs clearly wanted them badly. Taormina is getting 400K a year to play in the AHL. Froese is getting 350K this season and 650K the following (best pickup for the AHL, really liked him when he faced the IceCaps) and Holland is getting 350K the first year and 700K the next. Management wasn't messing around. Morrow 650K in the AHL, Redmond getting 650K. If all are in the AHL that's 2.4M for 5 players.

Jul 6, 2016
I brought it up the Taormina thread, the Habs clearly wanted them badly. Taormina is getting 400K a year to play in the AHL. Froese is getting 350K this season and 650K the following (best pickup for the AHL, really liked him when he faced the IceCaps) and Holland is getting 350K the first year and 700K the next. Management wasn't messing around. Morrow 650K in the AHL, Redmond getting 650K. If all are in the AHL that's 2.4M for 5 players.

They really need to surround their younger players with quality vets, and also win games to attract people in their arena from the get going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad