Confirmed with Link: [MTL/NYI] Thomas Vanek & cond'l 5th for Sebastian Collberg & cond'l 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Not a huge, huge vanek fan, but this is the first move where I feel MB improved the roster, whether vanek resigns with us or not, I feel this is a win.

Great Deal MB, about time.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Our chances to do something with our roster in the playoffs this season were slim to none... With Vanek in, it gives us a chance to do some damage.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
While Minny does have the inside track on Vanek in the off-season, Montreal wouldn't of been on Vaneks radar at all if this trade wasn't made.

At the very worst, it let's them build a good case to sign if they have a good run

buffalocupcrazy*

Our chances to do something with our roster in the playoffs this season were slim to none... With Vanek in, it gives us a chance to do some damage.

sabres fan here, really excited to see vanek and briere reunited on the same team again. they used to dominate on our PP back in the good ole days.

i think you know what you guys are getting. but vanek has the potential to put a team on his back and win a playoff series when he's on. in 2010 against boston, if he didn't go down with injuries, we definitely would've won that series.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I for one always feared Vanek, he always killed us. He is a legit first line producing player that we have lacked for way too long. I am excited to see the added dimension that he gives us, I hope we can keep him but I fear it might be too costly but let's enjoy today. I never thought we could get a guy like this.:handclap::handclap:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
While Minny does have the inside track on Vanek in the off-season, Montreal wouldn't of been on Vaneks radar at all if this trade wasn't made.

At the very worst, it let's them build a good case to sign if they have a good run

why didn't they go for him today? why Moulson instead?

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Another minor positive, it makes Montreal appear to be a player in acquisitions.

Players like to see GM's willing to make big and bold moves.

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Vanek will get a taste of Therrien as a coach and say "**** this". :laugh:

Quite honestly, I think Therrien might be the biggest deterent to Vanek signing here. Regardless, great great move by Bergevin. Brilliant!!! Bergevin should get 5 years and another 5 years probation. This was highway robbery regardless of whether Vanek ultimately signs here or not. :yo::yo:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Have to hope Therrien can deal with this. I get the impression he would rather get his way and lose than learn and win. Can he put a star player on the ice and let him play?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Maybe they did but Snow was being a greedy GM seeing how everybody knows it's a destination he is likely to end up at after the season, where it ended up exploding in his face and had to accept our final crappy offer.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002

No one really knows for sure. Maybe they did try for him and Snow waited too long and they pulled their offer.

No one ever believed Vanek would go for so little.

I think their is truth to that Snow waited to long to play his card and others pulled away and he was left with very little

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Unbelievable. I almost died when I heard the news that we got Vanek. OMG!! :jump::jump::jump: OMG!!!

So happy right now.

It basically is identical to the Kovalev trade that Gainey made, but I doubt we resign Vanek. Still, it's a move we needed.

We have a lot of forward depth now. It'll be interesting going forward to see who plays and who sits.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
Yeah lets stop giving Bergeron all this credit.

We all know the heavy lifting was done by Rick Dudley while Bergy was attending personal matters

THANK YOU TO RICK DUDLEY !!!!

Really? Really? Do you think they don't have cellphone reception or wifi in Chicago? :shakehead

At the very least, do you really think they woke up this morning with the idea? :shakehead

Scouts may do the prelim work, and Dudley likely does some eval, but to suggest that the GM was a non-factor shows no real sense of managerial strategies, methods or realities.

The timing of the release actually suggests the contrary. They likely had an agreement earlier and the release of the trade was probably held until the last minute. Can't see it happening otherwise, especially given the likelihood that one of the Canadiens rivals may have then pulled the trigger on something they had in the works--and most teams would have multiple scenarios already planned based on their needs, wants, and potential outcomes.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
No one really knows for sure. Maybe they did try for him and Snow waited too long and they pulled their offer.

No one ever believed Vanek would go for so little.

I think their is truth to that Snow waited to long to play his card and others pulled away and he was left with very little

Maybe Snow is really high on Collberg. He may have burn bridges by asking too much on other deals as well.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Why pay for him now when they can supposedly get him for zero assets when free agency opens?

I was just about to post this.

They got Moulson while they could and are assuming they will get Vanek in the summer.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Why pay for him now when they can supposedly get him for zero assets when free agency opens?

So there going to give Moulson 7.5-8 million or let him walk?
After giving up assets...(for second-round draft picks in 2014 and 2016 along with centre Torrey Mitchell.)

Or they planning to have Moulson and Vanek same team,8 million each?

LOL

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
If we do not step up the posting effort, the Vanek trade will not even reach the Weise for Diaz level.:sarcasm::D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->