Confirmed with Link: [MTL/NYI] Thomas Vanek & cond'l 5th for Sebastian Collberg & cond'l 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Wow Bergevin! Gotta give this guy some props!

Vanek? Holy ****. So happy for Pleks! MT, don't screw this up! Do the right thing and play them together.

Can't believe we got him and kept Tinordi/Beaulieu at the same time.

Galchenyuk Plekanec Vanek :yo:

I'll be shocked if MT splits up Pleks and Gionta but I like that line.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
He has been schooled well in the art of public speaking.

Basically got everyone both excited and worried at the same time. As it should be.

Hopefully his mind isn't completely set on free agency, and he at least has an open mind about possibly re-signing.

He did sound genuinely excited to be a part of the habs organization, where hockey actually matters.

Not to mention a few months of being coached by Therrien will make his decision even easier unfortunately. :laugh::help:

Shhhhhhhhh :laugh:

Michel sounded really happy to have him... maybe Vanek will actually not suffer from MT's wrath.

StanleyCH25

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
When asked today about not accepting offer from NYI:

" I don't know how to explain it in a good way I guess, because, again, its one of those things where I want to hit July 1st, you know, I've never done it in my career before, maybe I never will, but this might be my only chance. So that's pretty much the explanation I have" - Vanek, by TSN

Doesn't sound overly assuring, but you never know. A few months is a long time for the habs organization to change his mind.

A few months is a long time for the habs fans to change his mind. (There.. fixed it for you)

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
this trade caught me off guard. I haven't been surprise since Alex Kovalev in his prime was traded to Montreal. Tomas Vanek is a big powerforward we've been waiting for. He's a superstar point per game and is a 30-40 goals per season player. I know we don't have a superstar to play with him at least not yet in Alex Galchenyuk but with Carey Price and PK Subban, we could convince Vanek to sign here. Give Vanek whatever he wants in the off season.

Vanek-Galchenyuk-Briere (Briere and Vanek have history together)
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Prust-Eller-White/Moen/Weise/Parros

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

" I don't know how to explain it in a good way I guess, because, again, its one of those things where I want to hit July 1st, you know, I've never done it in my career before, maybe I never will, but this might be my only chance. So that's pretty much the explanation I have" - Vanek, by TSN

Doesn't sound overly assuring, but you never know. A few months is a long time for the habs organization to change his mind.

Yeah it's not like he was ever a free agent and some other team offered him 7 million a year or anything.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
He can, and he has, but I'm pretty sure he's happiest right where he has been most recently, and started for pretty much his entire first 7 or so seasons in the league. Couldn't find the interview I was thinking of, but this was one of the first things I found directly from Vanek, from the start of last season:

(source)

uhhhggg ****ing MT. He's our best offensive weapon, play him on whatever ****ing side he wants dammit!. MT always doing his best to **** things up :cry:

habfan1968

Dec 19, 2006
Demote our C with 35 points in 41 games or whatever. Yup, I'd love to see that!! :facepalm:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
Vanek - Plekanec - Briere
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gionta
Bourque/Moen - White - Weise

These are the most logical lines to start out with. Briere has history with Vanek and pleks works great speed wise with him.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He can, and he has, but I'm pretty sure he's happiest right where he has been most recently, and started for pretty much his entire first 7 or so seasons in the league. Couldn't find the interview I was thinking of, but this was one of the first things I found directly from Vanek, from the start of last season:

(source)

There is no reason for him to play right...

Vanek - Plekanec - old soft midget
Pacioretty - Desharnais - young good midget
Galchenyuk - Eller - old leader midget

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I pray that they go back to the style they played for the first half of last season. Instead of this passive transition crap.

Speed speed speed

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

Think about how you might answer that question truthfully.

"The islanders are a losing organization with a crazy owner, a boot licking GM , and a franchise player who is a narcissistic a-hole" .

What he said is fine. Bergevin has his challenge but he's willing to take this on obviously.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
These are the most logical lines to start out with. Briere has history with Vanek and pleks works great speed wise with him.

I agree. It is time to get our FA pick up, Briere, out of the closet and onto a top line. Vanek and Pleks should rejuvenate him.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, the 5'7" C who's entire success banks on how Pacioretty plays can never be demoted, but Briere who gets 7-10 mins a game no matter how to plays is going to be promoted to the 2nd line?

facepalm indeed. Just so we're clear, it's what I would love to see not what I realistically think will happen
Who the **** cares what he relies on right now? He's nearly a PPG player over the past 3-4 months. Does it matter if he relies on Pacioretty or vice-versa? Pacioretty WANTS to play with him. They score at a pretty nice clip. It's good.

Briere deserves more ice-time, no doubt about it. He'd look a lot better in Gionta's spot than Desharnais' though.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Such a character move

If he's even half as good as he was coming out of the lockout last year it should be interesting at least.

Not too bad in his last couple of playoff appearances either. Surprisingly not a huge minus player either for having been on weak teams.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
this trade caught me off guard. I haven't been surprise since Alex Kovalev in his prime was traded to Montreal. Tomas Vanek is a big powerforward we've been waiting for. He's a superstar point per game and is a 30-40 goals per season player. I know we don't have a superstar to play with him at least not yet in Alex Galchenyuk but with Carey Price and PK Subban, we could convince Vanek to sign here. Give Vanek whatever he wants in the off season.

Vanek-Galchenyuk-Briere (Briere and Vanek have history together)
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Prust-Eller-White/Moen/Weise/Parros
Kovalev in his prime? Did that ever happen?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

Why did Miller want out of Buffalo?
Why are Islanders not making playoffs?

Plain and simple ,he wasnt going to resign with Islanders, as he isnt blind to how things been there over the years.....

Now Montreal he knows is a playoffs team ,with a world class goalie....and if he is seeking to be a rock star, 35-40 goals a year will make him that in Montreal.....

Habs fans fell in love with Kovy...

Now tell me Habs fan wont do same with Vanek pulling moves like this ...As i said ,if he wants to be a rock star and stay,here is his chance.

Last edited:

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Now tell me Habs fan wont do same with Vanek pulling moves like this ...As i said ,if he wats to be a rock star,here is his chance.

[/QUOTE]

This was very explosive. :nod:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Think about how you might answer that question truthfully.

"The islanders are a losing organization with a crazy owner, a boot licking GM , and a franchise player who is a narcissistic a-hole" .

What he said is fine. Bergevin has his challenge but he's willing to take this on obviously.

Agreed. I'm actually pleased with his answer and the fact he said he still might never hit open free agency.

I don't think people should be looking that far ahead anyways. Let's hope he keeps his ppg pace over here first, let's see how our lines work out with him, let's see some offensive improvements.
We can worry about the next season after this one.

For now, let's just hope he's a good fit like we all are expecting him to be.

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
The main reason i personally dont want gionta playing with plecky and vanek is that he kills a lot of plays on the rush with his patented "slapper from 5~10 feet from the blue line".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->