Confirmed with Link: [MTL/NYI] Thomas Vanek & cond'l 5th for Sebastian Collberg & cond'l 2nd PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think we can get a third for his rights.

I have no evidence here, but there are plenty of precedents:

Could have been be a second for his rights, , except for his I want to live in Minnesota where I grew up wife. The family could have an adventure in Montreal for 5 years, living on 7 mill a year, the kids learning french and having a great experience. But likely? No, she couldn't handle it. :shakehead American hockey wives...

Canadian teams need to factor the American groupie hockey wife problem into every negotiation. It's a true pain in the ass.

You do know that MN is where Vanek lives in the off season, right? And that he has family there, and NONE in Montreal?

I'm sure he 'd be thrilled to give that up, pay WAY higher taxes, have to learn a new language, for a team that is essentially the same as the one in MN, if not worse. And, of course, if he detects any anti- American bias towards his family such as you stated he'd be happy to deal with it for five years, because it's ... Montreal... A place he has no connection to.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
You do know that MN is where Vanek lives in the off season, right? And that he has family there, and NONE in Montreal?

I'm sure he 'd be thrilled to give that up, pay WAY higher taxes, have to learn a new language, for a team that is essentially the same as the one in MN, if not worse. And, of course, if he detects any anti- American bias towards his family such as you stated he'd be happy to deal with it for five years, because it's ... Montreal... A place he has no connection to.

This ****ing myth of paying way more taxes never dies... he would only pay a little more taxes here than in MN, you aren't living in Alberta.

As for learning a new language, do you even know what you're talking about ? Have you even been in MTL ? There's no such need for anyone in his family... although it's a great opportunity if he values multi-language for his kids.

You just seem like someone who just doesn't know anything about a city and just states every misconceptions about it. Oh and for the record, the captain and the best scorer of this team are American... doesn't seem to bother them living in such awfull environnement that is Montreal.

Montreal is a cosmopolitan city known through out the world... doubt it's the same for St-Paul...

Montreal4Life*

this ****ing myth of paying way more taxes never dies... He would only pay a little more taxes here than in mn, you aren't living in alberta.

As for learning a new language, do you even know what you're talking about ? Have you even been in mtl ? There's no such need for anyone in his family... Although it's a great opportunity if he values multi-language for his kids.

You just seem like someone who just doesn't know anything about a city and just states every misconceptions about it. Oh and for the record, the captain and the best scorer of this team are american... Doesn't seem to bother them living in such awfull environnement that is montreal.

Montreal is a cosmopolitan city known through out the world... Doubt it's the same for st-paul...

this!

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I'm sure it was mentioned but Therrien said Vanek is going to have to make adjustments to be successful :laugh:

Guy comes in as leading scorer and we change him. PK has all the raw talent in the world we try to change him. It's just the same thing over and over again.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I'm sure it was mentioned but Therrien said Vanek is going to have to make adjustments to be successful :laugh:

Guy comes in as leading scorer and we change him. PK has all the raw talent in the world we try to change him. It's just the same thing over and over again.

Does these changes include becoming a better person? :sarcasm:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
This ****ing myth of paying way more taxes never dies... he would only pay a little more taxes here than in MN, you aren't living in Alberta.

As for learning a new language, do you even know what you're talking about ? Have you even been in MTL ? There's no such need for anyone in his family... although it's a great opportunity if he values multi-language for his kids.

You just seem like someone who just doesn't know anything about a city and just states every misconceptions about it. Oh and for the record, the captain and the best scorer of this team are American... doesn't seem to bother them living in such awfull environnement that is Montreal.

Montreal is a cosmopolitan city known through out the world... doubt it's the same for St-Paul...

Have you lived anywhere else in North America other than Montreal? Many families who move to Montreal from elsewhere in NA don't like it. People who are born here and used to it seem to love it, others not so much.

It may be OK for you and perhaps a single looking for a nightlife, but for a guy with an American English speaking wife with three kids they put first, what Montreal has to offer isn't probably what they are looking for. They seem to want an American style English speaking city that is more stable for them and suitable for their lifestye, not a worldly style one rife with language disputes, disruptive politics, and ways of doing things they aren't used to.

PS: I understand the taxes thing but I don't get the reference to Alberta who pays less taxes than here.

Last edited:

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada

Yeah, but MT has forgotten more about hockey then the collective knowledge of HF Boards. He knows what he is doing....:shakehead

KingK

Jan 14, 2014

Yeah sure but we only pay 5% tax here in Alberta on our purchases, no one ever factors that in.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I just cannot see Vanek not signing with Minny. It's quite depressing. He doesn't even have to play well for us for the rest of the season. Minny already wants him, he wants them (yes, my speculation, but I would offer that the circumstances give it enough credence) and right now, the Habs do not offer anything that I think he covets. He's not Kovalev. I don't think he cares about being a hero here.

We're just going to hope Eller and Chucky take it to the next level. (And obviously no Therrien.)

I'd also add that it saddens me that we lost a very good prospect in Collberg for 16 games of Vanek + however many playoff games (best case scenario as things stand is getting past the first round.) Felt great when the deal happened, but now I'm starting to see it as a mistake. IF Vanek signs with us, I will be completely shocked and will fully retract my dismissal of this. I still think MB made a great move. Unfortunately, doesn't seem (increasingly so) that it's going to help us past this season. Again, Collberg will become a very good player. Sure, not huge, but talented as fk.

Last edited:

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I said when he was traded here, before he came in.

I remember where I was when I heard about the trade. I had nor have ever been that excited. There was TONS of excitement when Gainey made that move. (Before Kovy played a single game.)

Good for you I guess, he was perhaps the most spectacular forward we had since Guy Lafleur. But maybe you don't like watching talented players. Needs more Karackter I suppose.

I mean, I would say there were some great ones since Lafleur, and Koivu is another hero of mine, but I get what you mean. Anyone remember Kovy's stickhandling. Towards the end, it became frustrating, but when he was on, man, he was our last star player, apart from Price (yes, I think Price is a star.)

And FWIW, Kovy had his own style and character. Not the MT type, but the type the Canadiens have been known for in good times. Flair. I loved the good Kovy years.

ah yes kovalev...the memories....that one time he elbowed darcy tucker in the head was great...that one time he got "tapped" in the hand and lost the puck and cost us a playoff game well that wasnt great....but the lolz was when gainey asked him to just stay home

Tucker hit was definitely in the top 3 Kovy moments. As for the Souray-Kovalev hand tap controversey -- that just built up one HELL of a finish. In a way, that incident was part of building Kovy's legendary status here.

Keeping/getting Vanek would be so awesome. Not gonna happen, but one can dream. Not sure I want Moulson. At least with Vanek, we can try to keep moving forward as opposed to leaning towards mediocrity/tanking. We're bringing along the kids, but we can do so while winning if we can acquire players the way Bergy did with Vanek. We should probably get a contract for that Subban guy. He's pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad